apostrophe thing

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Michaelton

apostrophe thing

Post by Michaelton »

Whenever I put an ' in one of my posts, it comes out as this: &#8217

What can I do to fix this problem? (I need to open my forums to the public tonight...)

Also, smileys aren't showing up either, only the writing...
psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX »

What language are you using? The &xxxx; appears because the browser is doing a conversion to Unicode of certain characters ...

As for smilies, have you enabled them in your profile/post/admin?
Michaelton

Post by Michaelton »

I'm using english... and I just casually posted a message and that happened... it happened for some - ones too...

As for the smilies I'll go and check that.
Michaelton

Post by Michaelton »

I checked the allow smilies thing, and it was on yes, so I don't know what's wrong there. The thing I really need help with is the ' - thing... :(
zoid

Post by zoid »

Michaelton wrote: I checked the allow smilies thing, and it was on yes, so I don't know what's wrong there. The thing I really need help with is the ' - thing... :(

Did you uncheck the "Disable Smilies in this post" checkbox when posting?

Alexander
Whatever you want to know, please do a Image Search before asking :).

Run your own Chatcommunity
>> PINO - Client/Server Chat for Windows <<
Dzien Dobry

Post by Dzien Dobry »

I generally write my posts in MS Word 97 for the spell-checking and then just copy and paste into a message box for posting. If I use smart (curly) quotes or a smart (curly) apostrophe, I get the same error.
Michaelton

Post by Michaelton »

I get what you mean now... I copied and pasted it from Word 2000.
Dzien Dobry

Post by Dzien Dobry »

It used to be that smart looking quotes and apostrophes would post correctly. As you may know, sometimes when one bug is fixed, two more develop. This must be one of those problems. They'll get it all working eventually, I'm sure.
Michaelton

Post by Michaelton »

Hopefully... I guess for now I can change the font in word to Verdana, then paste it in and see if that works...
Dzien Dobry

Post by Dzien Dobry »

Copying Verdana text from Word 97 and then pasting it into the message box doesn't work.
blulegend

Post by blulegend »

You write it in a word processor????!
Dzien Dobry

Post by Dzien Dobry »

blulegend wrote: You write it in a word processor????!

Yes.
Dzien Dobry wrote: I generally write my posts in MS Word 97 for the spell-checking and then just copy and paste into a message box for posting. If I use smart (curly) quotes or a smart (curly) apostrophe, I get the same error.
psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX »

Dzien Dobry wrote: It used to be that smart looking quotes and apostrophes would post correctly. As you may know, sometimes when one bug is fixed, two more develop. This must be one of those problems. They'll get it all working eventually, I'm sure.

We've been over this soooo many times now ... if you post non-standard chars they'll be internally converted within the browser into Unicode NCR's (numeric character references) since the codepage set (iso-8859-1 for Western European) doesn't include the char/s. When phpBB gets this data it converts all & (which prefix the NCR in SGML/HTML) to & because it thinks you want to display &xxxx; as a word ... and hence the output you see.

Why do we convert & to &? Because we had lots of complaints from people posting things like & &nbsp;, etc. seeing either & or blank space rather than the word they typed (makes sense ...).
ICMafia

Post by ICMafia »

é hmm
Dzien Dobry

Post by Dzien Dobry »

psoTFX wrote: we had lots of complaints from people posting things like & &nbsp;, etc. seeing either & or blank space rather than the word they typed (makes sense ...).

I wonder why UBB is smart-quote enabled? Don't they have users posting things like & &nbsp;, etc? How did they solve this problem? It would be nice if things like & &nbsp; would post correctly but only if placed in a code box. Does this sound like a possible feature request for phpbb 2.2?

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”