Proboards/Invisionfree/ActiveBoards converters

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x convertors forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Kymmy

Re: Proboards/Invisionfree/ActiveBoards converters

Post by Kymmy »

nneonneo wrote:I wish it were faster too. A long while back, I remember admins were allowed to send PMs very quickly (no waiting time), but now it seems they changed that policy.

Anyway, it amounts to about 200 users per hour, so, unless you have a *really* big forum, this is probably fast enough.
Well I started it at midnight and it finished at 5:36am alltogether 950+ members although only about 20 of them still active :(

Kymmy
JR90

Post by JR90 »

Does this converter work for SuddenLaunch forums?

SuddenLaunch uses old Proboard software:

http://www.suddenlaunch.com
nneonneo

Post by nneonneo »

With minor modifications, I believe it will. Many minor details are different.

I will see to making a converter for it. It should not be too difficult.
Need a conversion from another forum, but they won't give you the database? Try a crawler converter. If your converter isn't listed, feel free to post in that thread to ask for one.
nneonneo

Post by nneonneo »

The converter is attached. It should work, from my testing, but different boards can vary wildly, so I can make no promises.
Attachments

[The extension zip has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Need a conversion from another forum, but they won't give you the database? Try a crawler converter. If your converter isn't listed, feel free to post in that thread to ask for one.
JR90

Post by JR90 »

Wow, that was quick.

Thank you!
Chris73

Post by Chris73 »

I am a complete idiot when it comes to this stuff, but I've managed to get everything set up no problems, it's the converting bit I'm stuck on. When I import the posts sql into the database, it does it's thing then gives me this error:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 3841032 bytes) in /home/cpanel/public_html/phpmyadmin/libraries/read_dump.lib.php on line 23

Any idea on how to proceed?
nneonneo

Post by nneonneo »

Chris73, this is a fairly common issue with larger boards. You'll notice I supplied a "split_sql.py" program. Move this script into the same directory as the SQL files, and run it. Enter the maximum size for each split piece and the filename. A larger maximum size means less files to upload, while a smaller maximum means a better chance that it will upload correctly.

The goal is to split a large file, which phpMyAdmin is unable to handle, into smaller chunks which will be acceptable. Make sure to upload them in order, or strange errors may occur (in particular, please make sure "1" comes first, and do not reupload it unless it fails to work -- it contains deletion commands for the tables used)
Chris73

Post by Chris73 »

Thankyou! I'll give that a try and let you know how I go! Thanks again!
-ben-

Post by -ben- »

First of all, thanks so much for making this converter! I am working to help a community move from proboards into a new forum...thay have been wanting to do so for ages but didn't want to lose all the information on their old forum, so your converter is so helpful!

I ran it as a test a few weeks ago, and after a few failed attempts it ran well and a few hours later i had the mysql to upload. It worked fine, and the new phpbb3 forum worked great. However, a couple of days ago i noticed something very odd. The posts and topics were all correct, as were the users. However, on closer inspection i noticed that the posts did not correspond correctly with the users. I.e. all the posts are attributed to the wrong users...any ideas why?

Well i figuered it must have been a bug, so i ran the converter again yesterday, but it wouldn't work at all. Every time i tried, it ran for about 10 seconds then said it was complete. I tried loads of times but the same thing happened every time, and when i inspected the sql files created by the converter, i found that the topics and posts one had no information in it, and the members file had only one member with username 'Anonymous', password 'annonymous' and user id 1.

Please help, because we want to move to the new forum asap and until i can run the converter again we can't really move.

P.S. - I wonder if the error might have something to do with the fact that the proboards forum we use has just been updated to the latest version...it worked fine before, and since the upgrade the converter wont work. Might be a coincidence, but i thought i should mention it.

Thanks again,

ben
nneonneo

Post by nneonneo »

I realize that Proboards is undergoing upgrades (randomly); my own test forum has not been upgraded, and I don't see an option to force an upgrade. I'm not sure why the posts don't correspond to the users.

If your index.cgi file isn't named index.cgi on Proboards, i.e. it's "index.c.cgi" or "v45index.cgi", then do this:
If it's called index.c.cgi, find and replace "cgi" with "c.cgi" throughout members_topics_posts.py.
If it's called v45index.cgi, find and replace "/index" with "/v45index" throughout members_topics_posts.py.

If you still have the posts not aligned with the right user, please PM me settings.py and I will do my best to resolve it.
-ben-

Post by -ben- »

Thanks, it's working again now...and i think i know why the posts are wrongly aligned so don't worry about it.

However, another problem has now emerged. It downloads the forums and members fine, but when it tries to downloadthe topics and posts, it only ever downloads a maximum of 15 posts from each topic. I checked, and 15 posts is the number that are displayed on each page in our forums, so the problem appears to be that the converter cannot detect if there are more than one pages of posts in each topic, or else it is unable to change page. I've tried running it a few times but the same things happens every time. I've also just noticed that it only seems to be downloading the first page of topics from each board, indicating that it can't change page in the boards either. This wasn't a problem before the upgrade...any thoughts?

P.S. - I've just noticed a file in the converter file called convert_error.log containing this text:
Member ID holywarrior
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "D:\Downloads\PB Converter\Proboards\members_topics_posts_phpBB3.py", line 297, in <module>
userdata=download_page(URL+'?action=viewprofile&user='+str(memberid),statusline+"Downloading - ")
File "<string>", line 30, in download_page
File "C:\Python25\lib\urllib2.py", line 124, in urlopen
return _opener.open(url, data)
File "C:\Python25\lib\urllib2.py", line 381, in open
response = self._open(req, data)
File "C:\Python25\lib\urllib2.py", line 399, in _open
'_open', req)
File "C:\Python25\lib\urllib2.py", line 360, in _call_chain
result = func(*args)
File "C:\Python25\lib\urllib2.py", line 1107, in http_open
return self.do_open(httplib.HTTPConnection, req)
File "C:\Python25\lib\urllib2.py", line 1082, in do_open
raise URLError(err)
urllib2.URLError: <urlopen error (10060, 'Operation timed out')>

Member ID extinct
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "D:\Downloads\PB Converter\Proboards\members_topics_posts_phpBB3.py", line 297, in <module>
userdata=download_page(URL+'?action=viewprofile&user='+str(memberid),statusline+"Downloading - ")
File "<string>", line 30, in download_page
File "C:\Python25\lib\urllib2.py", line 124, in urlopen
return _opener.open(url, data)
File "C:\Python25\lib\urllib2.py", line 381, in open
response = self._open(req, data)
File "C:\Python25\lib\urllib2.py", line 399, in _open
'_open', req)
File "C:\Python25\lib\urllib2.py", line 360, in _call_chain
result = func(*args)
File "C:\Python25\lib\urllib2.py", line 1107, in http_open
return self.do_open(httplib.HTTPConnection, req)
File "C:\Python25\lib\urllib2.py", line 1082, in do_open
raise URLError(err)
urllib2.URLError: <urlopen error (10060, 'Operation timed out')>
A quick glance through with my limited knowledge of python leads me to think that this isn't the cause of the posts/topics error though.

Thanks again for any help!!

Ben
nneonneo

Post by nneonneo »

Oh! Sorry about that, I forgot to update my converters here :P

I'm pretty sure the newest release (posted by me about 45 seconds ago) should fix that page problem. Proboards went and changed the name of one of the JavaScript variables, because they felt like it...

The timeout errors are probably due to network issues. Unless it's timing out instantly (which would indicate either an incorrect timeout or network instability/throttling), there's nothing I can do about those.
-ben-

Post by -ben- »

The timeouts were probably caused by me downloading stuff at the same time...thanks for fixing the variables! I'll run it again and let you know if there are any more problems.

Thanks again for your help!
Chris73

Post by Chris73 »

After a catastrophic hard drive failure 2 weeks ago, I finally have my system back and up and running again. Back to getting my IF forum converted to phpBB.
Last night was my first attempt again since the crash, and I came across a few issues which have me stuck.
First failure was due to thinking I could convert from IF to phpBB3, whci I now know I can't. It's phpBB2 then convert to phpBB3. This is fine.
The problem I had last night, was that after I successfully imported all the topic sql files into the db, the forum now showed that each Category had topics, and each topic had posts. However, clicking on a category, or topic yielded the "there are no topics in this category. Click Start New Topic to add one" or something along those lines.
Switch back to the forum index, and sure enough, it says there are categories and topics and posts on the board! I switch to moderator mode to see if I can moderate the posts, and this enables me to see the topics, but clicking the topic gives me no posts! I also note that the topics are not in the right categories.
I set up my categories and topics EXACTLY as they are on my IF forum. I can't understand why this has happened. Any ideas?
Please note that the statement I made in my earlier post about being clueless about this stuff still well and truly stands.
nneonneo

Post by nneonneo »

Have you resynched *every* forum? If you don't resynch them, phpBB assumes they are empty, which is incorrect.

Return to “[2.0.x] Convertors”