[BETA] IPB 1.3 to phpBB3 Convertor

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
Anti-Spam Guide
maat

[BETA] IPB 1.3 to phpBB3 Convertor

Post by maat »

Modification of topic subject as convertor is getting a little bit better.

Where to download :
-------------------------------
https://subversion.grenouille.com/svn/i ... bb3/trunk/

(don't panic if you have a ssl warning : the security certificate is self signed)

How to use :
-------------------
just put the 3 files in the convertor directory of phpbb then go to install page...

------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------

Original topic name :
------------------------------
Need help writing ipb13-to-phpbb3 convertor (for pm conv)

Original post :
--------------------
Hi,

I'm writing an ipb13 to phpbb3 convertor, currently it converts categories, forums, topics, posts, users, groups, privileges (well that last part still needs more work... standard ipb13 groups and privilèges will be converted but for custom groups they wont).

2 problems need to be addressed before i publish a beta :
-- passwords
-- private messages

I'm facing a structure problem with private messages. in ipb messages are all stored in a single table.

i mean when a message is sent the ipb messages table is filled with at least to copies of the message ( one for the sender, and one for the recipient) each with a different message id.

I think i could try to manage duplicates messages using the 3 fields (sender,recipient,date) but i don"t know how to use this idea with the phpbb3 convertor system.

If i try to create a post process function doing all this stuff by hand i won't have the standard convertor facilities that manages conversion set of rows by set of rows. Si if there are thousands of private messages there will be a great danger of timeout.

perhaps i can try to first import all with duplicates using phpbb3 tables conversion then clean the tables with a post process function... but i don't know if this is the "good" way of having that sorted.

A few comment/advices here would be really welcome :?
Last edited by maat on Sun May 24, 2009 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AntiThesis

Re: Need help writing ipb13-to-phpbb3 convertor (for pm conv)

Post by AntiThesis »

You could always try for an "aftermarket" type toolkit for now until you figure out how to get it working through the converter. It's simple enough to create a bit of php to process records by sets of rows so timeouts won't really be a problem.

I think quite a few folks are looking for a way to convert from IPB to PHPBB and this could be helpful. I'm looking for a way to convert from IPB 2.3.4 -> PHPBB 3 and short of either losing all the polls (IPB 2.3.4 -> PHPBB 2 -> PHPBB 3) it looks like I will have to try figure out a converter myself.
Happiness is a state of mind.
Dementia Community
PhpBB > VB
maat

Post by maat »

thx for the reply :)

just for me i can do with low level sql or a few lines of perl... but i chose to write a true converter to help those that are in the same situation as i am.

(nota : for password it was much more simple than i thought)

i'm not very far from alpha status :P
Vic1

Post by Vic1 »

News?

Anche io avrei bisogno di questo convertitore. :)
maat

Post by maat »

hi all,

well i slowed a little bit on the convertor due to work load but there is some progress.

At the moment password are converted cleanly. topics, categories, forums are okay.

the problems i still need to solve :

1) bbcode is disabled everywhere (in posts, signatures...) for example the bold bbcode [ b ] is patched by conversion system as something like [ b:e2f5g4d5d ]

2) Personal messages migration is still driving me crazy :(

3) board configuration is set in a flat php file in ipb and stored in the database in phpbb3... there is something i did not understand in there... but i'll find
sootius

Post by sootius »

I also have problems with bbcode when I try to convert my ipb 1.3 to phpbb2, and then convert phpbb2 to phpbb3.

Conversion from ipb 1.3 to phpbb2 is fine. But when I convert phpbb2 to phpbb3, then, bbcode doesn't work anymore.

And a conversion from ipb 1.3 to ipb 2.3, and then a conversion ipb 2.3 ---> phpbb2, and finally a phpbb2 ---> phpbb3 conversion leads to the same problem of bbcode.

So, it seems that without a proper convertor, we are done.
maat

Post by maat »

I think this is probably due to "Disable BBCode" parameters... yet i didn't find time to dig further on this problem.
codebirth

Post by codebirth »

Hi all! Good to see there are still some folks using old IPB 1.3 out there :lol:

I'm also interested in converting my IPB 1.3 into PHPBB3 so maat if there's something I can do to help just tell me. For now I'm going to take a look at PM, bbcode and board config...
maat

Post by maat »

well if someone can explain me why bbcode is disabled by conversion and how all this conversion stuff is supposed to be used to have bbcode properly converted and enabled that would be really helpful :)
codebirth

Post by codebirth »

Ok I'll tell you if I get what's going on.
codebirth

Post by codebirth »

Hi again. I haven't tested this but I think you need to generate a unique id for the bbcode conversion to work.

Code: Select all

$bbcode_uid = make_uid();
The funtion make_uid in PHPBB3 is in includes/functions_convert.php . Inside make_uid there is a call to the function unique_id which is in includes/functions.php . There are other functions and variables involved.

When you have the $bbcode_uid the code for the conversion should be something like this I think

$message = preg_replace( "#<b>(.+?)</b>#is"  , "[b:$bbcode_uid]\\1[/b:$bbcode_uid]"  , $message );
Well as I say I haven't tested this... hope this helps.
mtshow

Post by mtshow »

i've been trying to do a ibp convert forever, and i fail at it. =)
after a few failed attempts at a successful conversion from ipb 1.3 final to phpbb 2.x, i finally gave up and just restarted a new forum from scratch. it still haunts me though and i'm trying to still merge it years later. =)

my end goal was an attempt to merge the boards together, just to have the old posts and topics intact from ipb. everything else, i could care less about.

so my next step, is merging even possible, or would i just end up with my new board, and a new phpbb board converted from my old ipb without the ability to merge them together?

i'm about to try an old install of phpbb2 and see if i can get the convertor to work, and then try a upgrade to phpbb3, and i'm guessing from there i would just have to do some dirtywork in sql to transfer old items over?

any input, or should i just give up now and go find a new project. =)

-mt

edit: typos ftw.
codebirth

Post by codebirth »

I was able to convert from IPB1.3 to phpBB2 and then upgrade to phpBB3. The IPB1.3 to phpBB2 convertor needs some tweak but does its job pretty good. Then I had to make some scripts to convert attachments, polls, stickies, moderators and others directly from IPB1.3 to phpBB3 but the final result is quite good :)
sootius

Post by sootius »

There is still the problem of the html code from ipb 1.3 which is not converted in BBcode.

Maybe someone has done a script which could allow to do a conversion of the html code to BBcode in the database. However, I have searched about it, and found nothing.
codebirth

Post by codebirth »

Hello,

If you are using this convertor to convert from ipb1.3 to phpbb2, this is what I did to convert the HTML in the posts to BBcode

OPEN

conv_posts_text.php
FIND

$subject = str_replace( "&#33;"  ,"!" , $subject );
AFTER ADD

while ( preg_match( "#<span style=['\"]color:(.+?)['\"]>(.+?)</span>#is", $message ) )
        {
            $message = preg_replace( "#<span style=['\"]color:(.+?)['\"]>(.+?)</span>#is"    , "[color=\\1]\\2[/color]", $message );
        }

$message = preg_replace( "#<span style=['\"]font-family:(.+?)['\"]>(.+?)</span>#is", "\\2", $message );

$message = preg_replace( "#<span style=['\"]font-size:(.+?)pt;line-height:100%['\"]>(.+?)</span>#is" , "[size=13]\\2[/size]", $message );
This will remove your HTML from the posts and replace with BBcode where possible.

Return to “[3.0.x] Convertors”