[Release] Solaris (1.13) for phpBB 2.0.20! UPDATED!!!

This forum is now closed. Please ask all styles-related questions in the phpBB 3.0 Styles Support & Discussion Forum.
Kail
Former Team Member

[Release] Solaris (1.13) for phpBB 2.0.20! UPDATED!!!

Post by Kail »

Release

Template name: Solaris

Compatible with: 2.0.20 (see below)

Style: A space style template in yellow, orange, gray and black. Many new changes and fixes!

Demo: http://www.jakob-persson.com/styles_dem ... ex.php?s=8

Screenshot: http://www.jakob-persson.com/templates/solaris
Download:
http://jakob-persson.com/downloads

Download the template image set: http://jakob-persson.com/downloads

--- 2.0.20 compatible version released

2006-01-08: New version released.
New version available, includes support for 2.0.19 which obsoletes the text below. Download it from my site (see download link above).

2006-01-02: phpBB 2.0.19-compatibility!
In order for this template to be fully compatible with 2.0.19 and support the new administration panel features you need to make a few manual changes. Upload the theme as usual, then copy the files from subSilver/admin to Solaris/admin overwriting the old files. I'll make an updated version available in a few days, until then, this will work too.

2005-12-13: NEW VERSION: 1.11 phpBB 2.0.18-compatible!

This is the rerelease of the hugely popular Solaris. I have delayed it expecting phpBB 3 to be released sooner but as that is yet to happen, I've made this release now. While this rerelease includes a number of updates and fixes, they are all relatively minor compared to the new Solaris theme I am working on as I am writing this. I won't say more, I'll let it remain a surprise but I'm positive it'll turn out to be one of my best designs ever.

This new version fixes the bugs I have been informed of, it should also be fully compatible with phpBB 2.0.17 and fully support visual confirmation. Besides the less visible fixes, the logo has been updated, some things have been restyled a little and so have a few of the buttons.
I am aware that many of you run modded boards with extra graphics and you may still use the old image files. If so make sure you don't overwrite them when you upload this. The new buttons are just a small bonus. :)

This template started out as a template for a customer, Pablo Soler, who runs the French role-playing website alternativeSuns. He wanted a stylish and unique look for his forums (http://forum.alternativesuns.com) and contacted me. He also asked me to release the template to the public.

So, here's the end result. The name of the template is borrowed from one of my favorite books, a novel by Polish science-fiction author Stanislaw Lem (visit his website at cyberiad.info). It's one of the best modern science-fiction novels and I recommend it strongly.

You could call it the sequel to SpacePilot3K and in a sense it is but this is SpacePilot3K taken a step further. This is an attempt at creating a futuristic space science-fiction template with a black oriented color scheme. The colors of Solaris are rather dark, and I've tried to adjust them to fit both flat screens and standard CRT screens. Should the colors be too dark, try increasing the brightness of your screen.

Also note that even though it has graphics as top-right navigation links, this template supports multiple languages. As long as there's a lang_<language name> folder in the images subfolder of the Solaris folder, the images will load automatically when you swap language in your profile. If the template can't find any images for the language you've chosen, it will load the default language which is English (can be changed by modifying overall_header.tpl).
English and French images are included with the template. You can download the image set from phpbb.com to create your own translated graphics.

I've spent quite some time debugging this template so you shouldn't experience any problems using it. But, if you might, feel free to drop me a line. You'll find my contact details at my website.

I listened an awfully lot to M.E. by Underworld while designing this template so there has to be something of it in this...
Last edited by Kail on Wed May 31, 2006 8:52 pm, edited 30 times in total.

Jakob Persson - Style Designer, Freelance Web Designer, Usability Consultant and Developer | BLOG | PORTFOLIO
My Complete phpBB Template Design Guide
Creator of Chronicles, SpacePilot3K (updated!), Solaris, Cobalt 2.0 and JustFooty.
Image phpbb-se.com - phpBB på svenska!
DuffBeer

Post by DuffBeer »

that looks sweet :D
suncream

Post by suncream »

Wow, what an awesome theme, one of the best I've seen. Such a shame I dont have a suitable forum to use this theme on.

Great work, it looks fantastic! :D

[edit]Bah! I'm going to use it anyway :lol:
stefan2k1

Post by stefan2k1 »

Hi,

this is really good work ! Congrats....:)

9/10

Bye
Stefan
Failure ist not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft Product.
visit a new German phpBB2-Site and our Styles-Demo-Forum
soxie
Former Team Member
Name: Brian

Post by soxie »

Awesome choice of colors that blend well together, good job. :)
// brian
DanielT
Former Team Member

Post by DanielT »

genius..pure genius
Endy

Post by Endy »

Very nice, Kail.
Crumblylettuce

Post by Crumblylettuce »

good work
Spazz

Post by Spazz »

Sweet MOther Of Pearl....

It is beautiful!
Crumblylettuce

Post by Crumblylettuce »

the only bad thing about it is its a lil hard to modify the logo
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

Damn, I am impressed. That is very very nice. It almost makes me want to run out and start a space forum, just to be able to use your template. Seriously, really nice job.

Dave
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
Callisto

Post by Callisto »

I really like that, I am going to be contacting you about something shortly!!!
Percu.org

Post by Percu.org »

excellent 8,5/10

very nice use of transparency :)

great icons except perhaps the Who's online 's one :wink:
epolady

Post by epolady »

Very nice job! :D

Edit: the text input fields are a bit hard to see though.
xiaoboi

Post by xiaoboi »

beautiful piece of work...

Return to “[2.0.x] Styles Development & Discussion”