To what extent would you protect your site?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
*Christian*
I've Been Banned!

To what extent would you protect your site?

Post by *Christian* »

Hello everyone,

Yesterday when coding up my newest site it occurred to me, "To what extent do people protect their site". By protect, i don't mean the obvious security risks, i mean using Codes to stop people doing certain things.

Yesterday i incorporated 2 JS codes, 1) Prevent Right-Click 2) Disable the selection of text and images. You're probably thinking why, well i spent a lot of time on Dreamweaver and Photoshop getting everything set up, and of course a few hours adding content - it seemed a shame that people could come up to my site and with a few clicks "steal" my hard work. Now, i don't have to worry about that, the only method of taking content would be to print screen and re-type everything out, and even now i'm figuring out to how disable the "PrntScrn" button.

So...to what extent would/do you protect your website?
Proud owner of Bertie 3.0
:: No support via PM or IM ::
karlsemple
Former Team Member

Re: To what extent would you protect your site?

Post by karlsemple »

Actually doing what you have done is pointless, I could still copy the source of your site simply by disabling javascript in my browser and then viewing the page ;)

Not to mention the nature of the way a web browser works means the moment I view your web site I have a copy of the HTML source stored in my browser cache. In short stuff sent to client is pretty much impossible to protect from theft. At best you can add watermarks to your images in an effort to make them no good to anyone else.
Vic D'Elfant
Former Team Member

Post by Vic D'Elfant »

There was an interesting topic about this a while ago: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 5#p3812235
midd.ag • DTP, web development & printing
http://www.midd.ag
*Christian*
I've Been Banned!

Post by *Christian* »

Vic D'Elfant wrote:There was an interesting topic about this a while ago: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 5#p3812235
Ah i remember reading over that :P
Actually doing what you have done is pointless, I could still copy the source of your site simply by disabling javascript in my browser and then viewing the page ;)
Well you see, the intention is to stop users with next-to-no computer knowledge taking my stuff. Chances are anyone who has enough brains to know the work-arounds knows that copying is useless anyway :lol:
Proud owner of Bertie 3.0
:: No support via PM or IM ::
god0fgod

Post by god0fgod »

Is having a notice in a T&C saying that I'll sue your ass if you copy anything, enough protection?
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

*Christian* wrote:Well you see, the intention is to stop users with next-to-no computer knowledge taking my stuff. Chances are anyone who has enough brains to know the work-arounds knows that copying is useless anyway :lol:
People who don't know how to work around if find it frustrating because its annoying and they cannot do anything about it. People who know how to work around it get frustrated because it is so pathetic. ;)
Chris SmithGitHub
gigitrix

Post by gigitrix »

Disable right click etc is a bit tight, especially since there are other useful options on there (like bookmark this page) which you defo want in your code. If youre talking view source protection, i saw an insanely simple way of stopping the script kiddies: someone had a warning comment right at the top of every html page like

Code: Select all

<!--This code is protectd: do not copy...etc.-->
Then put a ton of hard returns before the <html> so that the notepad looks blank (they shouldn't notice the scrollbar!

That was so simple, it just might work, without inconveniencing your site users. At best, it will stop the myspace generation nicking your layouts tho: if you want proper protection, you may wish to look at copyscape (if you feel paranoid, this search engine finds sites similar to yours and you can check em out.

Disable image hotlinking on your server is a good idea if you have cpanel or similar also.
jaunty_mellifluous
Name: Asad Kay

Post by jaunty_mellifluous »

Well, if you want to keep stuff off the Internet then you'll have to keep it off the Internet.
Stay Cool!
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

jaunty_mellifluous wrote:Well, if you want to keep stuff off the Internet then you'll have to keep it off the Internet.
Indeed, the best way it is to turn off the Computer. :)
To request support for our extensions you can also contact me here: phpBB Studio

Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you! 🚀
pentapenguin
Former Team Member

Post by pentapenguin »

If you are really concerned about protecting your graphics, you might look at a Flash or Java solution. As far as I know, they wouldn't block the PrintScreen button, but the would stop easy copy and paste jobs.
Support Resources: Support Request Template
If you need professional assistance with your board, please contact me for my reasonable rates.
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

pentapenguin wrote:If you are really concerned about protecting your graphics, you might look at a Flash or Java solution. As far as I know, they wouldn't block the PrintScreen button, but the would stop easy copy and paste jobs.
They wouldn't stop it, in effects. This kind of 'issue' it is very known, there is nothing to do.. if I want to grab, I'll do. :)
Regards.
To request support for our extensions you can also contact me here: phpBB Studio

Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you! 🚀
Semi_Deus

Post by Semi_Deus »

Now, i don't have to worry about that, the only method of taking content would be to print screen and re-type everything out, and even now i'm figuring out to how disable the "PrntScrn" button.
I could also take a picture of your website with my photocamera, scan it/upload it and then re-type everything :mrgreen:

:ugeek:
Mr. Bond

Post by Mr. Bond »

lol, the disable right click thing is pointless, if you don't want people stealing your content, simply don't post it on the internet because if it's good (such as in graphics) people will steal it.
MartectX
Translator

Post by MartectX »

Consider it a compliment and be done with it. :)

Return to “General Discussion”