Email Digests

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
59%
Very Good
21%
Good
11%
Fair
2%
Poor
7%

Total votes: 82

EphesiansSix

Re: Email Digests - Line 246 digest_emailer.php

Post by EphesiansSix »

Hello All (especially Mark...),

I have just manually installed the latest mod (1.0.18) on a fresh install of 2.0.23. When I try to do a manual test send, I get the following:

Code: Select all

Failed sending email :: PHP ::

DEBUG MODE

Line : 246
File : digest_emailer.php
This was apparently an issue back in August of 2007 (See here: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... p#p3156298) but the fix was for an earlier version and I can't apply it now.

I'm running on a Windows server, using local (php) mail. PM and emails are sent fine... any help would be much appreciated!
---
And Another issue: I notice that after installing Digests, the links and options for regular (instant notification) subscriptions are gone. None for forums, none for topics, no way to manage them...is that correct, or am I confusing a phpBB3 feature with phpBB2?
MarkDHamill

Re: Email Digests

Post by MarkDHamill »

digest_emailer.php is a clone of emailer.php. I checked and there are no code changes between emailer.php in version 2.0.22 and 2.0.23. My changes to this class are very minor and simply allow it to send HTML formatted email.

I have not formally tested Digest 1.0.18 on phpBB 2.0.23 but it sounds like something I should do.

On my Digests buglog, I published a fix that affects the emailer class that someone figured out. I would try making this fix first and see if the problem goes away. See:

http://phpbbservices.com/digests/buglog.htm

It sounds like you are using Windows but not using SMTP to send email. The error message indicates that the PHP mail function was used. I don't think it can hurt to determine the SMTP server settings for your board, configure them in the ACP and see if the problem goes away. (If so verify that notifications and PMs are also sent okay.)
And Another issue: I notice that after installing Digests, the links and options for regular (instant notification) subscriptions are gone. None for forums, none for topics, no way to manage them...is that correct, or am I confusing a phpBB3 feature with phpBB2?
Not sure what you mean here. If you try changing your settings to use SMTP they might reappear.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. eBook and paper versions available.
EphesiansSix

Post by EphesiansSix »

Fantastic, Mark! I just changed my board to SMTP (after realizing it kept failing because I had a space in the server name ::bangs head on desk::) and now it works. Thanks so much for this great mod, and your support!

About my other question:

I had thought that by default in phpBB2 at the top of each forum and each topic was text/button to toggle subscribe/unsubscribe. (Send immediate notification when a new post is made). I think that must have been phpBB3 I was thinking of. Seems like in BB2, there is a method to subscribe to a topic, but not a forum. This mod (http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/293) offers forum subscription. Phew! Now I can go back to doing my real job for a while...

Thanks again!
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

In phpBB2, look for a link near the bottom of the View Topic page that allows you to Watch or not Watch a topic. If it is missing I can assure you it has nothing to do with my mod. Of course if you are not logged in you should not see it.

phpBB3 has "Subscriptions" (which I think are a new name for watched topics) and Bookmarks. Subscriptions should send emails.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. eBook and paper versions available.
EphesiansSix

Post by EphesiansSix »

Ah, it's all clear now. I do see the Watch Topic in each topic, and will mod to install a Watch Forum option. Thanks so much!
LHG

Post by LHG »

Hi Mark, Great mod, our members really like the Enhanced HTML version and the flexibility.

Can you tell me how to get the link for the Digest into the second row of links? I would like to put it first before the Profile link. Thanks
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

The principle is the same. You just have to edit overall_header.tpl and move it down to the next line.
MarkDHamill

Email Digests for phpBB 3

Post by MarkDHamill »

Hey everyone. I am taking requirements for a version of Email Digests for phpBB 3.

Here is the topic:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 0&t=922015
MarkDHamill

Version 1.0.19 Released

Post by MarkDHamill »

I created a version 1.0.19 you may wish to apply. It corrects a few small bugs published in the bug log, and fixes the problem of finding the Digests home page, since I changed the domain from phpbb.potomactavern.org to phpbbservices.com.

There are no changes to the files you need to edit. Run /install/digest_upgrade_db.php if upgrading to upgrade the version number.

Download Here
EphesiansSix

Post by EphesiansSix »

Hi Mark,

I started to follow the instructions for upgrading from 1.0.18 to 1.0.19, but when I run digest_upgrade_db.php, I get the following page, seeming to point to digest_constants.php, which does not exist:

Code: Select all

Warning: main(../includes/digest_constants.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in \\[Server]\forum\install\digest_upgrade_db.php on line 31

Warning: main(../includes/digest_constants.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in \\[Server]\forum\install\digest_upgrade_db.php on line 31

Warning: main() [function.include]: Failed opening '../includes/digest_constants.php' for inclusion (include_path='.;c:\php\includes') in \\[Server]\forum\install\digest_upgrade_db.php on line 31

If you see this message, then your database should be upgraded to support the latest digest features.

If you are all done, please delete this file and remove the install directory, since your forum will not be accessible until it is removed.
Is it still OK, or do I need to do something differently?...thanks!
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

With 1.0.18, constants were moved into digests_functions.php. However, some people upgrading earlier versions may need digest_constants.php, even if it cannot be found.

I think your upgrade went well in spite of the error message. You can check the ACP, Digest Configuration and see if it shows version 1.0.19 at the bottom.

I'll see if I can test for the presence of the file first and if present to include it, the update the archive. This will make it less jarring.
EphesiansSix

Post by EphesiansSix »

OK. It seems to be working fine, but my version is still listed as 1.0.18 in the ACP...
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

You can rerun the digest_update_tables.php program by downloading the archive again first, or use a database editor like phpMyAdmin and change the column in the mod_digest_settings table.
EphesiansSix

Post by EphesiansSix »

I re-ran the installer and used my host's mysql editor to change the version value, but it still shows .18. Oh well! If that's the only issue, that's just fine by me ;)
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

I found the bug in the /install/digest_upgrade_db.php file. Download version 1.0.19 again, which has been repacked, to correct the version number.

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”