To what extent would you protect your site?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Re: To what extent would you protect your site?

Post by Highway of Life »

*Christian* wrote:So...to what extent would/do you protect your website?
The best defence is a good offence.
For me, I just write up strict Copyright infringement restrictions, and have scripts to periodically search for duplicated content on other sites.
When I find duplicated content, depending on the severity... if it’s a fairly minor offence, I simply send them a C&D letter detailing how much the law suit will be (plus a couple million for myself) unless they remove the content.
For more major offences, which includes not complying with the C&D letter, I get in contact with my buddies over in Turkey to have them take down the site with hack.
I then phone my friends over in Pakastan and eliminate any personnel that may be involved. :twisted:
When these guys are not available, I bribe BertieZilla a large sum of money (though sometimes blackmail works well with him) to eliminate the offender(s).
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil »

Highway of Life wrote:I bribe BertieZilla a large sum of money (though sometimes blackmail works well with him) to eliminate the offender(s).
In such case, isn't being eaten in your sleep a bit of a risk?

On a more serious note, I do much the same as HoL -- I've implemented various monitoring methods, and usually just issue a C&D. Depending on the severity of the infringement, I may end up getting a copyright lawyer involved, but have only had to do this once -- the issue ended as soon as the lawyer was contacted :roll:
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life »

iWisdom wrote:
Highway of Life wrote:I bribe BertieZilla a large sum of money (though sometimes blackmail works well with him) to eliminate the offender(s).
No, I didn't say *who* would be blackmailed. :P
And no, eaten in my sleep is not a risk, I’d likely not make it that far...
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil »

Highway of Life wrote:
iWisdom wrote:
No, I didn't say *who* would be blackmailed. :P
And no, eaten in my sleep is not a risk, I’d likely not make it that far...
At least being cut down by BertieZilla would be a noble way to die. Perhaps Lamb Cutlet is actually a reference to the state you'll resemble when the great BertieZilla is done.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

LEW21

Post by LEW21 »

There is only one good solution: release everything on Creative Commons licenses.

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

LEW21 wrote:There is only one good solution: release everything on Creative Commons licenses.
I'm sorry, but I must disagree. There is no "one-size-fits-all" solution. People have a right to protect their content.
MartectX wrote:Consider it a compliment and be done with it. :)
In my opinion, that sort of attitude is a huge part of why we're even having this discussion. Digital media is easy to copy. That doesn't make it right. You would not like me to come into your house and take your furniture and decorations just because I liked the layout, would you? Why should a web site be any different?
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

MartectX
Translator

Post by MartectX »

drathbun wrote:
MartectX wrote:Consider it a compliment and be done with it. :)
In my opinion, that sort of attitude is a huge part of why we're even having this discussion. Digital media is easy to copy. That doesn't make it right. You would not like me to come into your house and take your furniture and decorations just because I liked the layout, would you? Why should a web site be any different?
It's different because I get to keep what I have.

The internet is a place of (let's say almost) unlimited exchange and freedom and I take it for that.

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

MartectX wrote:It's different because I get to keep what I have.
Oh, please, we've been through this before. It's not different at all. Just because it's possible, doesn't make it right. If you say "don't do it" and I do it anyway, is that okay with you? It doesn't matter what "it" is, whether it's physical goods or not. If you have spent years building a dynamic, flexible, world-beating web site design, and I copy it and steal all of your customers, how do you feel about that?
The internet is a place of (let's say almost) unlimited exchange and freedom and I take it for that.
It is not your right to make my decisions for me. Period. My content, my rights. Not yours.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

Al Knight

Post by Al Knight »

People add signatures on images (names website) some use watermarks which is rather annoying.
I'd be more than happy if my work flew around the internet, but I won't like it if someone else if profiting from it.

EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction »

Well, there is only a limited amount that can be done.

You can not protect images, javascript, or CSS. For my board, I have all the custom templates that I use in the template/custom/ folder. In that folder I have a .htaccess file so that the templates can not be easily copied. Of course they can be copied from the output, but that usually requires quite a bit of work.

You can put watermarks on images, but they are not pretty, and sometimes can be removed.

MartectX
Translator

Post by MartectX »

EXreaction wrote:For my board, I have all the custom templates that I use in the template/custom/ folder. In that folder I have a .htaccess file so that the templates can not be easily copied. Of course they can be copied from the output, but that usually requires quite a bit of work.
Interesting. I tried that, but I get runtime errors in Internet Explorer when I enter the posting form. Something about a script and missing object. Same with Opera...

Firefox is ok, though! :?

EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

MartectX wrote:
EXreaction wrote:For my board, I have all the custom templates that I use in the template/custom/ folder. In that folder I have a .htaccess file so that the templates can not be easily copied. Of course they can be copied from the output, but that usually requires quite a bit of work.
Interesting. I tried that, but I get runtime errors in Internet Explorer when I enter the posting form. Something about a script and missing object. Same with Opera...

Firefox is ok, though! :?

It can not be done in the main directory because there are javascript files that are linked to in there. You would either need to exclude the .js files from being blocked, move your custom templates into another folder off of the template/ folder and put the .htaccess in there, or move your .js files and don't forget to update the links to them.

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

EXreaction wrote: You can put watermarks on images, but they are not pretty, and sometimes can be removed.
If you really want to protect it you need to use a large watermark preferably with an intricate design using a multi colored gradient fill. This will really make it look bad but will make it nearly impossible to remove with out a lot of work from someone that really knows what they are doing. I'd only do that if I was offering images for sale.

There are some other alternatives such as digimarc, this adds an invisible watermark. another option may be using EXIF/IPTC data for adding your copyright.

Both are not perfect, the invisible watermark digimarc uses will be obliterated by resampling, resizing or altering the image. I've seen information posted that it will survive this to some extent, the only question is how much alteration it requires before its gone.

The EXIF/IPTC can easily be removed, most programs that have a "save for web" option do this automatically anyway because it creates a larger file.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

I have an idea to make copying the original image very difficult with using right click on images (or trying to view the original file linked), but it is too much to explain and could easily be bypassed by using the print screen button (if you can not get past screenshots, any amount of work is pretty much a waste of time).

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

One way I seen mentioned you can "disable" right click is nest an image in a div nested in another div. Use CSS and z-index to make the outside div higher than the inner div. Apply a 1 px transparent gif as a background image on the outer div, when they right click there isn't any image to save because its empty div. The background image is just the transparent .gif ....

There is way to disable prt scr using JS but AFAIK it only works in IE and I'm not sure if it works in IE7.

Regardless every type of "protection" I've seen yet is easily disabled by my image editor, it has option for loading a web page as an image. It uses your default browser for the client so the server only sees the browser requesting the image.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Return to “General Discussion”