BBCode copyright/use

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
wyrmmage

BBCode copyright/use

Post by wyrmmage » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:05 pm

Hello everyone :)
I've searched the forum for an answer to this question, but I didn't see anything relevant and the question doesn't seem to be covered in the GNU Public License, either.

I've been working on a web-editor for my site, and I would like to use markup that includes and extends BBCode. I wont actually be using any of the code from the forum that parses the BBCode, but I will be using BBCode for URLs, lists, etc. Since the site is for a company and we're making money from selling items and google ads, I want to make sure that this is legal :)

Just to clarify what I mean: I'm planning on using the same style as BBCode does: [markupGoesHere]content goes here[/endMarkup], and I'll also be using the exact same markup that BBCode does, plus my own.

-wyrmmage

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Re: BBCode copyright/use

Post by Phil » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:21 pm

BBCode (the name or the practice) isn't owned by phpBB (the source is another matter, but you've stated you're not using it). You're free to use it ;)
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

Drexion
Former Team Member

Post by Drexion » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:02 am

wyrmmage its perfectly fine.

The sytnax isn't owned by anyone. Its just syntax, like subject-verb-object for sentences - no one really "owns" it - many types of software (not only forum software) allow user scripts to be built on the same/similar syntax. Many portals/CMS systems already do so.

Its also perfectly fine to use phpBB or BBCode on your for-profit site, there are currently many many commercial websites using phpBB (or parts of it). Its even fine to use extend phpBB's BBCode parsing to pages outside of phpBB (for example most portals / CMS allow this functionality by default).

You can alter/modify/utilize the phpBB code as much as you want - what you cannot do is redistribute the code (which you are not doing anyhow) unless you adhere to the GPL.

wyrmmage

Post by wyrmmage » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:22 pm

Thanks for the quick replies...It's good to know that I wont be accidentally violating any copyrights! :)

Thanks again,
-wyrmmage

Return to “phpBB Discussion”