Why would you remove the Powered by phpBB text?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
jazzking2001

Re: Why would you remove the Powered by phpBB text?

Post by jazzking2001 »

A_O_C wrote:
Techie-Micheal wrote:Ah ha! So you do care
yes, but only when that one line becomes 2 or 3 or 4 :D . anyway, i think the developers should really consider it. thats all im saying. as for removing it, i dont, so im good.
good point
Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life »

Drugs wrote:I didn't direct that statement directly towards you, was just a general thing. Sorry for not clarifying it.
My reply was not aimed at you. ;)
jazzking2001

Post by jazzking2001 »

Highway of Life wrote:
Drugs wrote:I didn't direct that statement directly towards you, was just a general thing. Sorry for not clarifying it.
My reply was not aimed at you. ;)
it was aimed at me
are we not getting off topic now?
ckwalsh
Former Team Member
Name: Cullen Walsh

Post by ckwalsh »

Just to jump in, I am starting to see the tension rising post by post.

While this topic does have discussion value (just look at the number of pages!), it will be locked should it become hostile. I hope it does not.
Where to post what | Forum Rules | The Dos and Don'ts of General Discussion
In Seattle and want to meet, chat, or have a coffee? Drop me a PM.
jazzking2001

Post by jazzking2001 »

Brainy wrote:Just to jump in, I am starting to see the tension rising post by post.

While this topic does have discussion value (just look at the number of pages!), it will be locked should it become hostile. I hope it does not.
i do not think it has become hostile at all
we are just giving are opinions on this topic
ChrisRLG
Former Team Member

Post by ChrisRLG »

But like Brainy, I would like to see this topic, return to the topic subject.
phpBB: The All Important Rules - Bertie Bear 3.0 - No support via PM system - use the forums please.
phpBB v2: Retirement (1/1/2009) : phpBB v3: Read Me Topic - Custom BBCodes - Support Template
Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and a door will be opened to you."
My Links: MS MVP (Consumer Security) - Malware Removal:University - Own Forum: Custom BBCode testing
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

a few posts back, the idea was put forth that because you pay for certain software, you have the right to remove the copyright. that is not normally true.
you have to read what the license actually says about it.

robert
rhythm1

Post by rhythm1 »

i didnt want another post added to this "almost useless" discussion as mentioned above. But its Lumpy's fault. :P

While what you mentioned is true, the logic behind the posters idea was like so i believe. Someone sells you a restaurent, then tells you, you should not eat apple pie there. You should also never eat roasted chicken from your restaurent. or incase of this, includes this as part of the original agreement. How logical would that be? :geek:
Al Knight

Re:

Post by Al Knight »

Emufarmers wrote:I can think of several different reasons:
  • People don't want it to appear as though they're using free software, because they're trying to run a business site
  • People don't want to appear as though they're using phpBB, because they've set up a whole site around the forums and/or significantly modified them (think Gaia Online)
  • People think it will reduce the amount of spam they get (there are better methods)
  • People think it will protect them from hacking (keeping one's version up-to-date is far more effective)
  • People are greedy, and don't want to give away a free backlink on every page
I would maintain that it is still improper to remove the copyright, even in the cases listed above, but those reasons probably cover most of what's out there.
Gaiaonline is powered by phpbb :o :shock: ?!

I wouldn't remove it, I want people to know they are browsing the best forum software ever.
MartectX

Re: Re:

Post by MartectX »

Al Knight wrote:Gaiaonline is powered by phpbb :o :shock: ?!
Yes, you can verify this at big-boards.com; until recently they had it in their footer, too.
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

Gaiaonline certainly started with phpBB2. The owner / founder / whatever for that site (lanzer) is the one that started the "Tweaks for large forums" topic in the phpBB2 Discussion forum.

At this point, the code they're running probably does not have much of the original left. :) But some of the ideas lanzer put forth in the "tweaks" topic made it into phpBB3, so you could say that phpBB3 is based on Gaiaonline instead. :P
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
Tripp
Former Team Member
Name: Tripp

Post by Tripp »

drathbun wrote:Gaiaonline certainly started with phpBB2. The owner / founder / whatever for that site (lanzer) is the one that started the "Tweaks for large forums" topic in the phpBB2 Discussion forum.

At this point, the code they're running probably does not have much of the original left. :) But some of the ideas lanzer put forth in the "tweaks" topic made it into phpBB3, so you could say that phpBB3 is based on Gaiaonline instead. :P
Without trying to go too far off topic...that's amazing. The biggest board I've ever seen is a warez board with aout 7 million posts and 600,000 members. I looked at that bigboards site...holy jesus...those are some HUGE boards.
yenerich

Post by yenerich »

The main reason is trying to avoid spammers that find the forums using the copyright as the google search.
yenerich

Post by yenerich »

Drugs wrote:The biggest board I've ever seen is a warez board with aout 7 million posts and 600,000 members.
Wow!! Iv never seen something like that.

But it was a "real" forum or just a way to place links?
Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life »

yenerich wrote:The main reason is trying to avoid spammers that find the forums using the copyright as the google search.
That actually does not work and the reasoning is flawed. :)

Return to “phpBB Discussion”