[RC] Prime Subject Check

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Get Involved
primehalo
Former Team Member

[RC] Prime Subject Check

Post by primehalo »

MOD Title: Prime Subject Check
MOD Description: When a new topic is attempted, a list of topics with similar subjects will first be displayed along with a message urging the user to see if perhaps this new topic is not needed.

MOD Version: (see Installation Instructions for current version number)
MOD Download: Main Download
Demo Board: http://www.absoluteanime.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=95
Demo Username: Not required
Demo Password: Not required

For the release history, please view the Installation Instructions.

Screenshot (ver. 1.4.4):

Last edited by primehalo on Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ken F. Innes IV
My Extensions | My MODs | My Topics | My Site: Absolute Anime
Experience the wonder of Japanese Animation!
demon327

Re: [RC] Prime Subject Check

Post by demon327 »

nice mod :)
danielnguyen

Post by danielnguyen »

Yeah, great mod! Thanks so much!
My forum, for just teen only with many happy things
Cộng Đồng Teen Online - Cộng Đồng Teen Việt - Teen Việt Nam
Hội Ngộ - Giao Lưu - Học Hỏi - Giải Trí - Kết Bạn
http://www.congdongteenonline.net
danielnguyen

Post by danielnguyen »

I think you should make this to List similar topics as a tooltips or a dropdown box instead of show after pressing Submit
My forum, for just teen only with many happy things
Cộng Đồng Teen Online - Cộng Đồng Teen Việt - Teen Việt Nam
Hội Ngộ - Giao Lưu - Học Hỏi - Giải Trí - Kết Bạn
http://www.congdongteenonline.net
Kharon

Post by Kharon »

I am testing modification (local) ..
I don't understand this modification .. where is similar subjects listed ..

ACP:
Open topic links in new window:
Open the listed topic links in a new browser window.
... where is topic link list page (posting.php or html page) ?

please
posting.php page screenshot
and Open the listed topic links in a new browser window screenshot

thanks,sorry my english..
primehalo
Former Team Member

Post by primehalo »

Kharon wrote:I am testing modification (local) ..
I don't understand this modification .. where is similar subjects listed ..

ACP:
Open topic links in new window:
Open the listed topic links in a new browser window.
... where is topic link list page (posting.php or html page) ?

please
posting.php page screenshot
and Open the listed topic links in a new browser window screenshot

thanks,sorry my english..
A list of topics will only show up if there are topics with similar subjects to the one that is being posted. If you have the new window option selected, then when the user clicks on one of these topics, it will open in a new window so the user doesn't loose their place.
Ken F. Innes IV
Kharon

Post by Kharon »

okay,I am understanding.. nice mod

another mod "suggestion" .. AJAX or JS ? :)

thanks

primehalo wrote: A list of topics will only show up if there are topics with similar subjects to the one that is being posted. If you have the new window option selected, then when the user clicks on one of these topics, it will open in a new window so the user doesn't loose their place.
demon327

Post by demon327 »

Kharon wrote: another mod "suggestion" .. AJAX or JS ? :)

thanks
vote +1 :D
Jaga

Post by Jaga »

This could be a highly useful feature to have on any forum, especially those with high traffic and few forums, where topics scroll off page one within minutes.

Edit: One suggestion for a feature Prime - have the option to set a check for thread recent activity. i.e. if a thread hasn't had any activity for X days (like >60), don't include it in the resulting links. Otherwise you might get people practicing thread necromancy on a regular basis, bumping really old threads to the top of a forum. Some admins/mods don't approve of thread necromancy much, despite the fact that this mod will help keep the total # of threads down.
jmjm003

Post by jmjm003 »

As always Prime. You make some of the most useful mods.

I've installed this one on my forum. I can see it in my ACP. Can change the settings. However, it doesn't appear to check the subject. I have several test post within my test forum. I start a new topic with the subject test and it goes through without any mention of all the other test post.

Am I missing something? As I understand it, I should have been prompted about the other test post before it submits the post I was making.

EDIT: Considering my forum has many modifications to it. I did a setup on a clean install of phpbb3.0.1 to make sure my other modifications are not the problem. The only other mod running on my test forum is Evils troll mod. Still not showing the other topics with similar or exact subject.
primehalo
Former Team Member

Post by primehalo »

I would like to do an AJAX version, but first I want to make sure this works like it's supposed to, add any missing features, etc.
jmjm003 wrote:As always Prime. You make some of the most useful mods.

I've installed this one on my forum. I can see it in my ACP. Can change the settings. However, it doesn't appear to check the subject. I have several test post within my test forum. I start a new topic with the subject test and it goes through without any mention of all the other test post.

Am I missing something? As I understand it, I should have been prompted about the other test post before it submits the post I was making.

EDIT: Considering my forum has many modifications to it. I did a setup on a clean install of phpbb3.0.1 to make sure my other modifications are not the problem. The only other mod running on my test forum is Evils troll mod. Still not showing the other topics with similar or exact subject.
I encountered this too while testing, and discovered that it was happening for several reasons. First was that I was an administrator and I had the option set to bypass the check for admins. Once I turned that option off, it still happened, this time because the words in the subject line were all common words, which the check ignores. To see which words are common words, go to the phpbb_search_wordlist table in the database, and there will be a one (1) in the "word_common" column next to all common words.

Do you think there should be an option to not ignore common words?
Ken F. Innes IV
jmjm003

Post by jmjm003 »

Do you think there should be an option to not ignore common words?
Simple answer, yes.
First was that I was an administrator and I had the option set to bypass the check for admins.
Double checked, bypass for admins and mods is off.
this time because the words in the subject line were all common words, which the check ignores.
I have mine set at zero in my ACP. Said to disable it. Still I checked the DB and did not find a 1 by the first 300 or so words. Yes, there are many more.

At this point, I would be happy with an error. Just something to point us in a direction.
Thanks Prime for your response.
Jaga

Post by Jaga »

Just chiming in here that I've installed the mod by hand, verified the edits and file uploads, checked the mod settings in the ACP, and don't get notified about duplicate topics (even with identical titles). Basically the same result as jmjm003.

Additional info: I added on the contrib "each forum" package, enabled it for the test forum I use, and attempted another duplicate topic. Same result - it simply posted and didn't give any links.
jmjm003

Post by jmjm003 »

I to installed the contrib folder for forum selection. I didn't consider that be default this would have each one turned off.
After turning on my test forum, it still did not work.
However, after deleting and then rebuilding my search index it worked. I still have my common words set at zero to disable it. I did this on my heavily modded forum for testing.

My clean install of 3.0.1 did not work after rebuilding the index.

So one works, and one does not. Given, the one I want to work does at this time.

Not sure if this is of any help to you...
updown

Post by updown »

I would like to make the suggestion to make this mod possible on a "per forums" basis, which means, that it's possible to turn it on only in selected forums and showing equal topic-names only from that forum where the new topic will be started. (OK, that's two suggestions in one :lol: )

So, if these are not too many wishes, the best I can image would be to extend the forums-settings for each forum with this setting-page...

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”