3rd Party Access to PM's

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
sandersj89

3rd Party Access to PM's

Post by sandersj89 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:39 am

Hi,

On a forum I run there has been an accusation that people other then the sender and receiver can read PM's. Some one is convinced another member or one of the admin/mod team are reading their PM's.

I am sure that this is not possible having had a look at the documentation but I would like clarification that this is the case so I can inform the member they have nothing to worry about.

The version of software we are running is: 3.0.1

many thanks

Jerry

Colynea

Re: 3rd Party Access to PM's

Post by Colynea » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:04 am

From all that I know, it's totally impossible for people to read one another's pm ! Whatever the version you've got...

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:38 pm

But, of course, the recipient of a PM can forward it to other members. You can check the Group Permissions (Advanced) to see whether the forwarding of PMs is permitted for the Registered Users Group. It is not, by default, with a Standard Features Role, but it is with All features Role. You can change the Role permission, however.

And it is possible for anyone with database access to read PMs.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

sandersj89

Post by sandersj89 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:46 pm

stevemaury wrote:
And it is possible for anyone with database access to read PMs.
Ah, that could be the key. I have Database access as do two others who are admin on the site.

I have no idea how to do it and dont want to know but one of the admin is very computer savey.

b0g0ppit

Post by b0g0ppit » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:51 am

Thank you very much for your help people. Replying here as other thread locked. This explains my friend's problem also. Thank you.

baz0927

Post by baz0927 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:24 pm

I am admin on my site and it is possable and easy for admin to read PMs.I had a dispute with 2 of my members and needed to find there PMs with there permission and show them.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”