mySQL database system.

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
green ticks

mySQL database system.

Post by green ticks »

Which is best?
(btw these are all the minimum requirements for phpbb3
  • MySQL 3.23 or above (MySQLi supported)
  • PostgreSQL 7.3+
  • SQLite 2.8.2+
  • Firebird 2.0+
  • MS SQL Server 2000 or above (directly or via ODBC)
  • Oracle
and why are they better? (if they are better)
Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Re: mySQL database system.

Post by Phil »

Most people around here use MySQL since it's open source and popular. Personally, if you have the option, and if you're seeking support here, I think you'd be better off with MySQL as, like I said, more people are familiar with it.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web
green ticks

Post by green ticks »

iWisdom wrote:Most people around here use MySQL since it's open source and popular. Personally, if you have the option, and if you're seeking support here, I think you'd be better off with MySQL as, like I said, more people are familiar with it.
I've actually tried installing sqllite the first time i had the option when installing.. later found out i actually didn't have sql lite support. but I'm just looking for what so good about the rest.. i like mysql. =]
blazes

Post by blazes »

Oracle is probably the best, however, it costs lots of money, and for a forum it would be like swatting a fly with a shotgun. MySQL is probably the best for phpBB as it's free, open source, and by far the most supported here.
I'm lazy and don't check my MOD support threads very often. If you need help and I'm not replying in the thread, PM me and yell.
green ticks

Post by green ticks »

blazes wrote:Oracle is probably the best, however, it costs lots of money, and for a forum it would be like swatting a fly with a shotgun. MySQL is probably the best for phpBB as it's free, open source, and by far the most supported here.
So I'm guessing Oracle, is like for the top people who like need speed? Is it like fast, or is it like just more a secure/reliable thing.
Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil »

It's similar to the Linux vs. Windows or phpBB vs. IPB argument. People have preferences, and one size does not fit all.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web
blazes

Post by blazes »

Oracle is just built like a tank. It's for if you're going to have epic proportions of data. Unless you're an enterprise, you really don't need it.
I'm lazy and don't check my MOD support threads very often. If you need help and I'm not replying in the thread, PM me and yell.
Eelke
QA Team
Name: Eelke Blok

Post by Eelke »

I think options like MS SQL and Oracle are in there for organisations that already have licences for such software, and/or have database needs beside phpBB. Organisations often work with preferred suppliers/software, and if a new software package can use stuff they already have, that's a plus. Probably the same, to an extent, goes for the other database solutions.

In terms of open source, you can probably find debates why one package is better than another. I suppose that from a technical POV, the other open source alternatives really might be better than MySQL, because if they weren't, there really would be no point to them. Why do people still choose MySQL (including myself)? Because there is more to the choice than just what is technically a better solution, such as installed base, which e.g. determines how easy it is to get support if you get into trouble. Also note, that technical superiority really isn't relevant. All that really counts is, is the solution good enough for your needs? Eventhough MySQL might not be best from a technical POV, apparently it is good enough for loads of people.

That was lots of words to say the same as has been said before:
iWisdom wrote:People have preferences, and one size does not fit all.
Consider this: if there was one database system "best" for phpBB, why would the others be supported at all? :)
Kellanved
Former Team Member

Post by Kellanved »

I would strongly advise against Oracle - it is very far from the standard and thus requires a lot of PHP work to translate queries and results.
Nocando is in Idontwanna county. No support via PM
green ticks

Post by green ticks »

Eelke wrote: Consider this: if there was one database system "best" for phpBB, why would the others be supported at all? :)
If there was a perfect/best mysql database system for phpBB, they would still support the rest, because the others like Kellanved said are a bit complicated.. & also may cost to use.. and such.. I'm not saying there is a best, I just want to know what you guys think is the best, and maybe to know what the cons & pros you have with these systems.
Kellanved wrote:I would strongly advise against Oracle - it is very far from the standard and thus requires a lot of PHP work to translate queries and results.
Thanks for your input =]
green ticks

Post by green ticks »

iWisdom wrote:It's similar to the Linux vs. Windows or phpBB vs. IPB argument. People have preferences, and one size does not fit all.
I get your point. :)
Eelke
QA Team
Name: Eelke Blok

Post by Eelke »

green ticks wrote:If there was a perfect/best mysql database system for phpBB, they would still support the rest
Well, no, that's exactly the point (sorry, I'm getting philosophical now). If there was one that's universally the best, there would be no need to support others. The point that's being made, and which you've seen already, is that what's best or perfect depends on the particular situation.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”