V3 version of - Preventing SPAM - Bots and Humans

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Lumpy Burgertushie

V3 version of - Preventing SPAM - Bots and Humans

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:08 pm

admittedly, I know very little about 3 yet, but doesn't it have the option to create new fields in the registration page from the admin panel?
if so, then you can do the same thing that the RAC MOD does without installing anything.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Re: Preventing SPAM - Bots and Humans [*Read the First Post!*]

Post by Jim_UK » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:18 pm

True I guess as long as you make the answering of them compulsory and check validity but what fields?

The RAC mod calls for a specific input not just any input.
If I created a new field in phpBB3 and called it "proper name" then a valid response might be "qwerty"
There would only have to be one valid response and it must be compulsory but I take your point.

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:06 pm

I just did some testing. I can't figure out a way to set a required value for the new field.
If you set it to required, then anything that gets entered will work,
There should be some way to create that field, then create a string that has to be input just like the RAC MOD does.

robert

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:16 pm

There is no need to use this MOD with phpBB3 IMO. Also a my VIP code for it has been started (search) but's currently unavailable. (error 404)

I'm the one who took over this MOD in its original version/author permitting: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 3#p3043793 , I slightly modified it in order to have an ACP control for to change numbers (vipcode) as you want.

Regards.
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
👨‍🏫 | Take a tour to | The Studio | 👨‍🏫

ChrisRLG
Former Team Member

Post by ChrisRLG » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:39 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:admittedly, I know very little about 3 yet, but doesn't it have the option to create new fields in the registration page from the admin panel?
if so, then you can do the same thing that the RAC MOD does without installing anything.

robert
Jim_UK wrote:True I guess as long as you make the answering of them compulsory and check validity but what fields?

The RAC mod calls for a specific input not just any input.
If I created a new field in phpBB3 and called it "proper name" then a valid response might be "qwerty"
There would only have to be one valid response and it must be compulsory but I take your point.

Jim
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:I just did some testing. I can't figure out a way to set a required value for the new field.
If you set it to required, then anything that gets entered will work,
There should be some way to create that field, then create a string that has to be input just like the RAC MOD does.

robert
I have two required fields on my forum - with defaults that are not valid.

Try the registration page (without registrering if you wish), and see - standard v3 - no MODs.
Link to what I have.
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 5#p4197335
phpBB: The All Important Rules - Bertie Bear 3.0 - No support via PM system - use the forums please.
phpBB v2: Retirement (1/1/2009) : phpBB v3: Read Me Topic - Custom BBCodes - Support Template
Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and a door will be opened to you."
My Links: MS MVP (Consumer Security) - Malware Removal:University - Own Forum: Custom BBCode testing

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:15 pm

what you say you did in that post, is what I would expect to be able to do.
however, I see no way to set a word/phrase/number, etc. so that it is the exact one that has to be filled in or it will fail.

if you ask a question like "what is the middle number", and the correct answer is 5, how do you set it so that any other character of string of characters , fails the registration?
the way it looks to me is that you can make the filed "required" but that just means something has to be entered in the field, doesn't matter what.

just because you ask a question does not mean that only the correct answer will go through.

or am I missing something?

and I guess we really should take this discussion elsewhere since it is off topic for this forum.

robert

ChrisRLG
Former Team Member

Re: V3 version of - Preventing SPAM - Bots and Humans

Post by ChrisRLG » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:22 pm

split/Moved to v3 discussion so it can be discussed for V3 as opposed for v2.
phpBB: The All Important Rules - Bertie Bear 3.0 - No support via PM system - use the forums please.
phpBB v2: Retirement (1/1/2009) : phpBB v3: Read Me Topic - Custom BBCodes - Support Template
Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and a door will be opened to you."
My Links: MS MVP (Consumer Security) - Malware Removal:University - Own Forum: Custom BBCode testing

ChrisRLG
Former Team Member

Post by ChrisRLG » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:31 pm

The 'type' of custom profile field you choose is important for this.

I have two.

One is a dropdown box, with choices.
I call it 'anti-spam'.
It is a reqired field - so cannot be left blank.
Has a question of : Are you a spammer.
Options for answer (from dropdown box) - are : Yes/No
Click the extra link at the bottom to 'profile type spacific options.
and you get the chance to set a default, and a 'Option equal to non entered value', make both the same.
You could have more than 2 options, but only one default and one 'Option equal to non entered value:', so if you had three - two would be pass options. So this realy only works with one from two choices.

Second is a number type, called 'count'.
Has a question of : The middle number please (3)
with 5 single numbers presented to the user - 1,2,3,4 & 5.
Length of input box: 3
Lowest allowed number: 3
Highest allowed number: 3
Default value: 5
The trick is to have the lowest & highest number the same, with the default as different.

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:40 pm

As for preventing spam on 3.0.x, I've yet to see the CAPTCHA broken (although I assume that's only a matter of time as opposed to a question of it is is possible, although the ability to adjust the level of difficulty may prolong its life).

I think there are a few anti-spam MODs similar to the RAC MOD available in the MODs in Development forum (I don't think any of them have actually been validated yet, though). Their effectiveness obviously hasn't been tested well yet as most spambots are aiming at 2.0.x still, but on principle they seem to work fine.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

ChrisRLG
Former Team Member

Post by ChrisRLG » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:48 pm

I agree iWisdom

The use of custom profile field though may well make the need for a MOD redudant.

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:55 pm

I've never really played with custom profile fields. Is there a way to force a value with them?
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

ChrisRLG
Former Team Member

Post by ChrisRLG » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:00 pm

yes - read my post below.

I have two different ones, using different field types.

mykee

Post by mykee » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:09 pm

3Di wrote:There is no need to use this MOD with phpBB3 IMO. Also a my VIP code for it has been started (search) but's currently unavailable. (error 404)

I'm the one who took over this MOD in its original version/author permitting: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 3#p3043793 , I slightly modified it in order to have an ACP control for to change numbers (vipcode) as you want.

Regards.
I need My VIP Code mod for PHPBB3, because I make a custom field with a number, and if i put incorrect number, then error message said good code. :mrgreen: IMO not working this tip, but if anyone have My VIP Code mode for PHPBB3, then I wait link. Thanks!

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:00 pm

ChrisRLG wrote:
Second is a number type, called 'count'.
Has a question of : The middle number please (3)
with 5 single numbers presented to the user - 1,2,3,4 & 5.
Length of input box: 3
Lowest allowed number: 3
Highest allowed number: 3
Default value: 5
The trick is to have the lowest & highest number the same, with the default as different.
This is the start of something like RAC. Use, say, a 6 digit number. If the code number is 151515, the default would be, say, 5 and min and max would both be 151515. You could include the number right in the instruction box, or you could email it to invitees.

BUT the next step is to edit language/en/ucp.php, because if you don't it gives away the answer:

Code: Select all

'FIELD_TOO_SMALL'             => 'The value of “%1$s” is too small, a minimum value of %2$d is required.',
   'FIELD_TOO_LARGE'             => 'The value of “%1$s” is too large, a maximum value of %2$d is allowed.',
Needs to be changed to:

Code: Select all

'FIELD_TOO_SMALL'             => 'The value of “%1$s” is incorrect',
   'FIELD_TOO_LARGE'             => 'The value of “%1$s” is incorrect.',
Voila! The RAC MOD.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

ChrisRLG
Former Team Member

Post by ChrisRLG » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:45 pm

very good steve - just a small edit in the language file and you have the RAC system installed :) - could not be easier.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”