Mail problems in 2.0.5?

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
timelf123

u rock

Post by timelf123 » Sat Jul 12, 2003 9:15 pm

thanx i fixed it...but now how do i delete a user tso they can reg agian the email messed tta up

timelf123

Post by timelf123 » Sat Jul 12, 2003 9:18 pm

nevermind i fixed it...

CommonSense

Post by CommonSense » Sun Jul 13, 2003 1:41 am

Well Hack and Time can you both post exactly what you did to fix the problem. I've been strugglin with this same issue all week long.

Numlock2KS

Post by Numlock2KS » Sun Jul 13, 2003 4:27 am

Retalin wrote: You know... I gotta tell you, this is the first time I have ever been disheartened this is a major core piece of functionality and it warrants a point release, or even a fixed and repackaged 2.0.5, something.

Perhaps if we let them know we are looking for it the developers would be more apt to do this?

This is actually a fairly common thing when you have teams working on two different projects. The users (Guinea Pigs) are often 'left out in the cold' when the focus is an entirely different project. The same thing led to the destruction of a BBS package back in the 1980's called DLX.

The developers involved in the DLX package bickered and fought over 'individual visions' for the code to be released until the copyright holder of the actual code finally killed the project. In the meantime, most serious users moved to different BBS packages because nothing was being done to solve the problems of moving from the Digi-Board environment to a mix that included Internet connectivity. DLX was the finest chat system available in its day (IMHO) but even that was not enough to keep the beast alive.

In my personal opinion, releasing 2.0.5 was a giant mistake. It follows a completely different path than what I see in 2.2. I honestly believe that the primary reason for the release of 2.0.5 was to 'tear apart' existing boards so that the users would be so busy recreating a familiar structure that they would not keep 'pestering' the DEVs about a release date for 2.2. The 'security holes' created by 2.0.5 are glaring. (Please read other threads about these issues. I will not intentionally highlight possible security exploits with a link.) The mail problems are genuine. The work-arounds are simplistic and ineffective. Then again, I am not a DEVeloper for phpBB. I am only a lowly user.

When Nuttzy99 found problems in his EasyMod release he removed the download link until he resolved the major problems. Do the DEVs at phpBB have this level of courage? Only time will tell. Until then, I would strongly suggest that users stick with the proven 2.0.4 release. At least there are patches available to correct the known security problems with 2.0.4 and the mail system works beautifully!

Best Regards,

Numlock2KS

velvetbronze

Post by velvetbronze » Sun Jul 13, 2003 4:55 am

Retalin wrote: You guys, seriously...

If you just relax about it, downgrade to 2.0.4 and wait, I am SURE that they will get a new release out to fix it. This team is extremely responsible.

That doesn't work either.

Still getting the mailer error.

DrAkAhN

Post by DrAkAhN » Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:21 am

well, i cant even send an email to other users, not just the mass email, any email, From initial Registration to Send Mass Email. None of it works. I can, though, send private messages. This doesnt help me out though, i have just uploaded the phpBB v 2.0.5 or whatever it is to my site and i am the only user that could registerm, noone else can register for my forums till ths is resolved. I have tried everything that everyone has said to try to no avail. please help us all out with a fix for this problem. I know you are prolly working on it and we all appreciate it and appologise for nagging about it constently/

Presto

Post by Presto » Sun Jul 13, 2003 12:16 pm

the phpbb team should come with a solution now ... this is not good :(

dkklein

Post by dkklein » Sun Jul 13, 2003 12:54 pm

I don't use or plan to use the mass email on the board where I just installed 2.0.5 however the registration emails and user to user emails does not work.

Server Specs: AMD XP 1600+
Hosting Company: Myself
Server Operating System: Windows 2000
PHP Version: 4.1.2
Microsoft Internet Information Server: 4
Mysql Version: 3.23.43
Email Server: True North IA Mail Server Version: 4.2.2. Build: 2011

When the problem occurs: Registration emails and emails from user to user. No error messages the mails is sent but they are bounced even though the email addresses are 100% correct. Mails sent to the same addresses with a normal client is received fine. And it is not a relaying issue.

The headers of the sent emails look like this

Code: Select all

Received: from defender ([x.x.x.x]) by adomain.com ( IA Mail Server Version: 4.2.2. Build: 2011 ) ; Sun, 13 Jul 2003 14:10:53 +0200
Subject: Welcome to xxxxx Forums
To: <valid@email.com>
Reply-to: <valid@email.com>
Return-Path: <valid@email.com>
Message-ID: <992206f28ef5aaa0949b35b9542294b7@adomain.com>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 12:10:53 0
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Mailer: PHP
X-MimeOLE: Produced By phpBB2

And this is the message from the mailserver, note that the last > is missing I suspect that is the cause.

Code: Select all

The message you sent:

Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 12:10:53 0

To: <valid@email.com>
	Cc: 

Subject: Welcome to xxxx Forums

Did not reach the following recipient(s):

<valid@email.com

Because:

Returned Mail: User Unknown
The 2.0.5 is completely unmodified.

Just to make sure I tested a 2.0.4 on the same server and here the emails work.

I hope these informations can help narrow down the cause of the errors.
Best regards Tommy

CommonSense

Post by CommonSense » Sun Jul 13, 2003 4:28 pm

You would THINK they would come in this thread and inform us if any progress is being made to rectify this problem.

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Sun Jul 13, 2003 4:57 pm

DrAkAhN wrote: This is getting rediculous, please dont suggest what to do unless you are a developer, it messes up everyone elses files. Not every phpbb 2.05 are the same, and react the same as one persons. Please leave this up to the developers to fix :roll: :roll: :roll:

Couldn't agree more.

Unless you're really sure of what you're doing, don't mess around with the 2.0.5 files (trust me, I'm knowledgeable enough to risk what i'm doing, I've got the registration email working (most of the time) yet I still can't get the rest to work :( )

I've basically given up on modifying the 2.0.5 forum (which is on a test site) and will continue with 2.0.4. Don't let this hold anyone back from trying out 2.0.5, it seems to work with many users (unfortunately also doesn't with others).

And for the developers: I also noticed email-adresses being put in between < > (but in the finalised mail the last > is missing). I haven't been able to check this in 2.0.4 yet.
My board's not broken, it just went peculiar

dkklein

Post by dkklein » Sun Jul 13, 2003 5:07 pm

warmweer wrote: And for the developers: I also noticed email-adresses being put in between < > (but in the finalised mail the last > is missing). I haven't been able to check this in 2.0.4 yet.

In 2.0.4 that does not happen.
Best regards Tommy

havocovah

Post by havocovah » Sun Jul 13, 2003 6:16 pm

As MrC alluded to earlier the fix for those installed on a Linux (and I suspect Unix) server is to check yes on "Use SMTP Server for email", use "localhost" for SMTP Server Address and nothing in the username or password box. I suspect this might also work for any server running "sendmail" or equivalent.

I did this on my RHLinux 9 server and it works properly now, both for user activation and mass email.

Update:

Small change. It seems the mass email only sends to the admin *shrug* but the user activation and individual emails definately work for all standard email addresses using MrC's method. I don't really care about the mass email that much myself.
Last edited by havocovah on Sun Jul 13, 2003 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MrC
Name: Ivo

Post by MrC » Sun Jul 13, 2003 6:22 pm

Yup it's a unix machine, and it still works :D

Fletch79

Post by Fletch79 » Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:57 pm

When i first tested My mass e-mail, only I (Admin) was getting the e-mail, so i applied the patch in Acyd Burn's post, on Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:45 am

Now i have tested to small groups but do not want to test it to all forum users, Over 900......... Just to keep the peace, no other reason!

Ever since i applied that patch i have been receiving undeliverable e-mails in my mail account (ie users PM notifications, Topic Watching notifications, etc etc), would this error be causing these? It's kinda frustrating because the user accounts are working fine, when i e-mail them normally!

I Don't really use the Mass e-mail function but it would be nice to have it avaliable!

Will edit and add server specs ASAP!

jet_Jaguar

Post by jet_Jaguar » Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:31 am

Okay, with "localhost" in the host name, and nothing in the name and address fields, SMTP works, sorta.

It does emails on privage messages. It also sends out mass email, but it doesn't do the BCC thing correctly, so everyone sees everyone else's email address, completely defeating the purpose of Blind Carbon Copy.

I believe it doesn't work because it puts an IP address before the the "BCC:" line.
Guy Talk Forum Admin

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”