IE vs FF

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
girlintrouble

IE vs FF

Post by girlintrouble »

Can someone tell me why stuff works in Firefox but not in Internet Explorer?

Is IE really that badly developed? I knew it might not be the best browser even before I did any web related work but now Im just so totally disgusted.

I've had problems with 2 styles in IE. Well actually 2 out of two that I liked = thats 100%! :evil:

No wonder I gave up using it, unfortunately the rest of the world didn't :?
Maybe back to the drawing board for the 2nd time for me. :evil:
Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Re: IE vs FF

Post by Phil »

IE7 and lower has some interesting quirks when it comes to CSS rendering -- to the point where much of my web development time is making things work in it. IE8 is a bit better in this regard, though.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web
girlintrouble

Post by girlintrouble »

u changed ur avatar lol

Yes I worked out things dont work. Are they fixable things though?
Has anyone found any forums where I can get help with that kind of thing?
Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil »

It's basically a matter of Googling around and learning fixes for the various strange quirks IE has. You can also use conditional stylesheets.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web
ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

The best thing is to write completely valid HTML, that will solve 90% of your problems. Most problems occur when the browser has to interpret faulty code, they all have a very different way of handling that. Validate your site with the W3C validator.

The biggest differences between IE and FF are the way they render floating elements, and padding and margins. So pay extra attention when you use those. :)

I never ever needed conditional style sheets to get my sites working in all browsers, I think you should try to avoid that as much as you can.
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

If you lay everything out with tables it all goes in the right place. :P

/me ducks and runs
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple »

drathbun wrote:If you lay everything out with tables it all goes in the right place. :P

/me ducks and runs
yeah but tables are so 1980's :lol:
girlintrouble

Post by girlintrouble »

ElbertF wrote:The best thing is to write completely valid HTML, that will solve 90% of your problems. Most problems occur when the browser has to interpret faulty code, they all have a very different way of handling that. Validate your site with the W3C validator.

The biggest differences between IE and FF are the way they render floating elements, and padding and margins. So pay extra attention when you use those. :)

I never ever needed conditional style sheets to get my sites working in all browsers, I think you should try to avoid that as much as you can.
So are you saying that if a style is coded badly that is the reason it doesnt work in Ie, but FF manages to make it work.

Its not a problem with layout (hence stylesheet?) but more menus so is that still what you mentioned above - padding, margins etc?

Will try your validator link.....
EDIT> Useful link - 4 types of errors found. Not that Im sure I know how to fix them or even if i MUST fix them or if they are what my problem is :?

XML Parsing Error
character data is not allowed here
end tag for X omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
there is no attribute X

Opinions on seriousness? Obviously this is a discussion post ....
ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

girlintrouble wrote:So are you saying that if a style is coded badly that is the reason it doesnt work in Ie, but FF manages to make it work.
Nope, I'm saying the both try to make it work but in a different way. It's very difficult to guess what you mean when you make a mistake and that may lead to unexpected results.
girlintrouble wrote:Its not a problem with layout (hence stylesheet?) but more menus so is that still what you mentioned above - padding, margins etc?
Padding and margins are CSS. For instance, when you have this code:

Code: Select all

<div style="width: 80px; padding: 10px;"></div>
Firefox will make the element 80 + 2 * 10 = 100px wide. Explorer will make it 80px wide. You can solve this by using 2 elements:

Code: Select all

<div style="width: 100px;"><div style="padding: 10px;"></div></div>
This way the element will always be 100px. It's just one example where IE doesn't follow standards and this little trick has helped me a lot.
girlintrouble wrote:Will try your validator link.....
EDIT> Useful link - 4 types of errors found. Not that Im sure I know how to fix them or even if i MUST fix them or if they are what my problem is :?
You should always try to fix errors. If you don't know how to fix them you should try to find solutions on Google. It may be a good idea to find some tutorials about writing valid HTML first. :)

A good website to find browser compatibility issues is http://quirksmode.org.
Linda Carter

Post by Linda Carter »

One of my style changes didn't worked at all on IE 6 (SP1). As you can see on this thread:
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1155835
"Whoever has not known himself has known nothing. But whoever has known himself has simultaneously achieved knowledge about the depth of all things."
girlintrouble

Post by girlintrouble »

WonderWoman - very interesting and annoying thread.
Hmmm - I tried to change my codebox too at one point but thankfully didnt try too long. Hope you get a solution.

I also find that the graphic of my logo renders more smoothly (even more annoyingly) in IE! The only thing good about it! I wonder why the weakness in FF.
Linda Carter

Post by Linda Carter »

girlintrouble wrote:WonderWoman - very interesting and annoying thread.
Hmmm - I tried to change my codebox too at one point but thankfully didnt try too long. Hope you get a solution.

I also find that the graphic of my logo renders more smoothly (even more annoyingly) in IE! The only thing good about it! I wonder why the weakness in FF.
The CODE box (with the select all and scrollbars options) is now working on all styles, other than proSilver, on all browsers. :)

IE 6 was not working with this feature, only IE 7. I have tested minutes ago, on another machine (IE 7/Vista instead of IE 6/XP SP1). So I suggest (if that's not your case) to do a comparison between IE 7 and FF 2.0.0.16 (or 3.0.1), because IE 6 is really dated/awful. I wonder how many people are still using (I won't be one of them very soon). :!:
"Whoever has not known himself has known nothing. But whoever has known himself has simultaneously achieved knowledge about the depth of all things."
Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life »

Linda Carter wrote:I wonder how many people are still using (I won't be one of them very soon). :!:
About 24.5% according to the most recent statistics. About the same number as are using IE7.
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.
girlintrouble

Post by girlintrouble »

Yes Ive heard the same figures. So its enough to not be able to discount it yet Id say.
Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life »

Big Red Banner: You are running Internet Explorer 6 (IE6), which does not display pages from the internet properly. This site does not support this version of IE. Please update to the latest version of IE7: {{link}}
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”