Why would you remove the Powered by phpBB text?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
User avatar
3Di
Former Team Member
Posts: 14487
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: Milan (IT) Frankfurt (DE)
Name: Marco
Contact:

Re: Why would you remove the Powered by phpBB text?

Post by 3Di » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:49 pm

Dog Cow wrote:
Highway of Life wrote: Removing the "powered by" text is basically lying about who created the software. -- It is insinuating that you built it, which you didn’t. phpBB and the developers created the software.
Is that logical? How can "nothing" represent "something"? :?
My point of view: since the 80% (someone above stated) of phpBB boards worldwide are running a phpBB2 version, in effect leaving the credits and link there into the overall_footer leads the newbies to know where the new branch is coming from, the same developers, the same community, the same (more or less) people who's making a big effort to make even better this open source project. And yes, at the end of all, last but not least... you/us all are in need to be good with us/them, showing some kind of respect. Bah!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
✒️ Black Friday 2019 @ The Studio ▪️◾️

User avatar
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 50926
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:21 am
Location: The U.P.
Name: Steve
Contact:

Re: Why would you remove the Powered by phpBB text?

Post by stevemaury » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:23 pm

Dog Cow wrote: Is that logical? How can "nothing" represent "something"? :?
Ever read "The Hound of the Baskervilles"?
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

User avatar
Dog Cow
Registered User
Posts: 2495
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:14 am
Contact:

Re: Why would you remove the Powered by phpBB text?

Post by Dog Cow » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:26 pm

stevemaury wrote:
Dog Cow wrote: Is that logical? How can "nothing" represent "something"? :?
Ever read "The Hound of the Baskervilles"?
Yeah, I read it last night.
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog

User avatar
stickerboy
Former Team Member
Posts: 7349
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:27 pm
Location: Airdrie, UK (127.0.0.1)
Name: Kenny Cameron
Contact:

Re: Why would you remove the Powered by phpBB text?

Post by stickerboy » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:52 am

I think we're going round in circles here :roll:
I'm a web-designing code-decrypting tech-support musician
|| Twitter || Flickr || phpBB Snippets ||
Formerly known as cherokee red

User avatar
Ultimos Homo Statans
I've Been Banned!
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 7:15 pm
Contact:

Re: Why would you remove the Powered by phpBB text?

Post by Ultimos Homo Statans » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:34 am

3Di wrote:@ Ultimos Homo Statans: Does that text harms your forum? Does removing it makes it better running your board? Does removing it and putting there something you like (ie: I did it myself and I'm a great programmer/coder, powered by myself, copyright by Ultimos Homo Statans in 1970 to 2008, or the like) makes you very happy? if so go ahead.
Yes, it harms my board. Robots find it using that text quiry.
Yes, if I take it out my forum will look better, because there will be less schroll.
I know people who put stuff like "designed by Uncle Sam and the White Fairy" when it's not true, but I wouldn't do that. I would just take it out and do not replace it with nothing... Or maybe with a board who would support phhBB2.
DavidIQ wrote:For being something so...unnoticeable and insignificant...you people, those complaining about it, sure do complain a lot about nothing. Go ahead and remove it...that way we don't have to provide support for you cry babies! :roll:
Well, that's the point of removing it in the first place. Maybe you don';t know, but from octomber the first, there will be no more support for phpbb2.

User avatar
MartectX
Translator
Posts: 1324
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:05 pm
Location: Marienplatz

Re: Why would you remove the Powered by phpBB text?

Post by MartectX » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:43 am

Ultimos Homo Statans wrote:Yes, it harms my board. Robots find it using that text quiry.
Yes, if I take it out my forum will look better, because there will be less schroll.
If that's a concern for you, you could exchange the text with a picture stating Powered by phpBB and linking to phpBB.com.

Less scroll won't be noticeable by your users because a)it's only about 10 pixels and b)it's at the bottom of the page, where would users want to scroll on from there?

User avatar
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Posts: 17090
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:30 pm
Location: Fishkill, NY
Name: David Colón
Contact:

Re: Why would you remove the Powered by phpBB text?

Post by DavidIQ » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:53 pm

Ultimos Homo Statans wrote:Or maybe with a board who would support phhBB2
So you would give credit to a board that didn't design the system but will give you support? That's pretty dumb. What's next...you're going to want Dell renamed to Bangalore because that's where their tech support was being provided at? (moved back to the US thankfully)
Ultimos Homo Statans wrote:Well, that's the point of removing it in the first place. Maybe you don';t know, but from octomber the first, there will be no more support for phpbb2.
Yes I know. And for someone that has used different usernames on here and has probably been banned from this site before you sure talk a lot of nonsense. Just think of ALL of the support you're going to get if you decide to ever go to v3 once you remove the copyright :lol:
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

User avatar
Phil
Former Team Member
Posts: 10403
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:11 am
Name: Phil Crumm
Contact:

Re: Why would you remove the Powered by phpBB text?

Post by Phil » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:07 pm

There are many other ways bots can find your forum, other than querying for "Powered by phpBB". As for removing the copyright, go ahead, but you forfeit support here, and potentially on other support sites as well. Furthermore, phpBB2 support is dropped 1 January, 2009, not in October.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

User avatar
Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Posts: 9899
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:09 am
Location: The Netherlands, 3.0.x Support Forum
Name: Erik Frèrejean
Contact:

Re: Why would you remove the Powered by phpBB text?

Post by Erik Frèrejean » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:08 pm

DavidIQ wrote:
Ultimos Homo Statans wrote:Or maybe with a board who would support phhBB2
So you would give credit to a board that didn't design the system but will give you support? That's pretty dumb.
Besides that that is pretty dumb all support sites that I know (that will keep supporting 2.0 after the phpBB group dropped it), won't support you unless you have the copyright anyways.
So good luck with removing it ;).
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)

User avatar
Ultimos Homo Statans
I've Been Banned!
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 7:15 pm
Contact:

Re: Why would you remove the Powered by phpBB text?

Post by Ultimos Homo Statans » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:15 pm

iWisdom wrote:There are many other ways bots can find your forum, other than querying for "Powered by phpBB". As for removing the copyright, go ahead, but you forfeit support here, and potentially on other support sites as well. Furthermore, phpBB2 support is dropped 1 January, 2009, not in October.
That is good news. :) Then, for the momment I'll keep your text. :wink:

You know, I was thinking... Why phpBBHacks didn't upgrade? Why phpbb.ro didn't upgrade? (phpbb.ro is like phpbb.com, but in my country's language) I don't give these examples to promote them, people already know them, I only say that they are people good with codes. So we can't say they just can't upgrade. It's obvious they don't want to, and if they think it doesn't worth it, why simple pleople like us should do it? phpBB.com has done it because it is there creation, so it's normal to promote it.

And another thing. In my country we have a free forums host called MyForum.ro (I don't want to promote them, I hate them because they don't let people take database, but it's just an example) They said they make some test for upgrade to phpBB3 but it won't wrong, so they'll remain to phpBB2. They have like 5000-6000 boards and the new created ones are still phpBB2. So if something goes wrong in 2009, what do they do? How they will get help? Because I've seen the server administrator requesting here help in the past. Or maybe they should just delete 5000 boards. :(

I think the biggest romanian board (or one of the biggest) is forum.acasatv.ro (don';t want to promote them, I'm banned there; it's just an example) They have 1 300 000 post and over 50 000 users. And they are still phpBB2. So if something goes wrong next year, what should they do? :? I don't think they will be very happy just givin' up over 1 milion messages. :lol:
The powered by queryes are a bit different. Si anyone can search them on Google and you'll have like 160 000 results for phpBB2 and only 20 000 for phpBB3. You know what I think? This is just like Microsoft with Vista. (don't want to promote them, is just an example) It is obvious people like more XP. Computers with Vista rpeinstalled are downgraded to XP. But they still want to force us use it, they just can't give up... Here it's the same thing, I guess. I don't think all people using phpBB2 are stupid and can't upgrade, it's just that maybe they like more phpBB2. Why can't phpbb.com respect that?
Maybe some still uses phpBB1, I don't know. :shock: But there must be a few people... But when you have so many people using phpBB2, you just can';t ignore them. You just can't... At least, okay, no upport. But at lweast other people should be let supporting it. I guess the phpBB2 sections will be locked, but we could help each other. Because I don't think people will no longer need help anymore. :wink:

Some of you say phpBB.com worked hard for this piece of software and it is rude to not give credit. But I think they have been payed for this, it wasn';t for charity. And us, by using it, somehow payd them, because if phpbb wasn't used, then who would've payed them anymore? So it's a both way thing...
I understand that some of youi think I am bad because I'm thinking about takin' out that text, but all I ask it's to think if it's okay to give no more support. :wink: Maybe I am wrong, but at least I have a reason. I don't want to take it out just because I don't have anything to do and I';m bored... More or less good, it is a reason.

The search in phpBB3 is a bit strange. Is there a topic about dropping support for phpBB2? I would like to say my oppinion about that.
I am a phpBB user, I think I diresve to have an oppinion. :)

User avatar
Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Posts: 9899
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:09 am
Location: The Netherlands, 3.0.x Support Forum
Name: Erik Frèrejean
Contact:

Re: Why would you remove the Powered by phpBB text?

Post by Erik Frèrejean » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:27 pm

Ultimos Homo Statans wrote:You know, I was thinking... Why phpBBHacks didn't upgrade? Why phpbb.ro didn't upgrade? (phpbb.ro is like phpbb.com, but in my country's language) I don't give these examples to promote them, people already know them, I only say that they are people good with codes. So we can't say they just can't upgrade. It's obvious they don't want to, and if they think it doesn't worth it, why simple pleople like us should do it? phpBB.com has done it because it is there creation, so it's normal to promote it.
These sites won't upgrade for various reasons. I'm not going to upgrade one of my sites just for the simple reason there is to much custom coding involved (it is basically no phpBB more and therefor running on the 20 core).
Ultimos Homo Statans wrote:And another thing. In my country we have a free forums host called MyForum.ro (I don't want to promote them, I hate them because they don't let people take database, but it's just an example) They said they make some test for upgrade to phpBB3 but it won't wrong, so they'll remain to phpBB2. They have like 5000-6000 boards and the new created ones are still phpBB2. So if something goes wrong in 2009, what do they do? How they will get help? Because I've seen the server administrator requesting here help in the past. Or maybe they should just delete 5000 boards. :(
Forums hosted on a free forum aren't supported anyways here. Cause they modify to much to the code, what probably is the cause that the conversion went wrong for them.
Ultimos Homo Statans wrote:I think the biggest romanian board (or one of the biggest) is forum.acasatv.ro (don';t want to promote them, I'm banned there; it's just an example) They have 1 300 000 post and over 50 000 users. And they are still phpBB2. So if something goes wrong next year, what should they do? :? I don't think they will be very happy just givin' up over 1 milion messages. :lol:
People who are running that kind of boards have the knowledge to fix things them self, they probably won't come here for support anyway.
Ultimos Homo Statans wrote:The powered by queryes are a bit different. Si anyone can search them on Google and you'll have like 160 000 results for phpBB2 and only 20 000 for phpBB3. You know what I think? This is just like Microsoft with Vista. (don't want to promote them, is just an example) It is obvious people like more XP. Computers with Vista rpeinstalled are downgraded to XP. But they still want to force us use it, they just can't give up... Here it's the same thing, I guess. I don't think all people using phpBB2 are stupid and can't upgrade, it's just that maybe they like more phpBB2. Why can't phpbb.com respect that?
Please don't compare phpBB with the guys from Redmont for the simple reason you can't. You aren't the first who uses this argument, but I just doesn't hold any ground.
Ultimos Homo Statans wrote:Some of you say phpBB.com worked hard for this piece of software and it is rude to not give credit. But I think they have been payed for this, it wasn';t for charity.
Do you see anywhere on this site that you have to pay for a license?
Ultimos Homo Statans wrote:And us, by using it, somehow payd them, because if phpbb wasn't used, then who would've payed them anymore? So it's a both way thing...
phpBB is done in the spare time of the developers. No one pays the team, the only income they have is a little bit of advertisement here on the site. But that is hardly enough to pay the devs full time.
Ultimos Homo Statans wrote:The search in phpBB3 is a bit strange. Is there a topic about dropping support for phpBB2? I would like to say my oppinion about that.
I am a phpBB user, I think I diresve to have an oppinion. :)
The topic is in the announcement forums, but the EOL won't be dropped because you don't agree with it ;).
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)

User avatar
jimdunn
Registered User
Posts: 1570
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:49 am
Location: Australia

Re: Why would you remove the Powered by phpBB text?

Post by jimdunn » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:01 pm

Ultimos Homo Statans wrote:What is the point of keeping powered by phpBB text in phpBB2 boards? The support for us will end in a few days. :) 80% of the phpBB forums on the internet are phpBB2. I think all this people have to take out that text because the support is over for some time, just not official... But who ask help for phpBB2, rarelly receives it. :wink:

After 1 cotomber I will take out that text. :)
Not sure when cotomber is, precisely, but you're probably right (I'm no linguist, sadly)...

If you feel the text gives you no support, and you're happy with having no future support from here, then remove it. You're entirely entitled to do that.

Unless you think that the thousands of hours of unpaid work that went into giving you your FREE forum still demand some respect and acknowledgement. In which case leave it in.

Seems like your choice.

User avatar
A_O_C
Registered User
Posts: 2383
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:26 pm
Location: phpbb_

Re: Why would you remove the Powered by phpBB text?

Post by A_O_C » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:00 pm

this is still going on? starting to look more like an argument than a discussion...

User avatar
Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Posts: 6048
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:41 pm
Location: Seattle, WA
Name: David Lewis
Contact:

Re: Why would you remove the Powered by phpBB text?

Post by Highway of Life » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:29 pm

Ultimos Homo Statans wrote:That is good news. :) Then, for the momment I'll keep your text. :wink:
If you plan on removing it in the future, please remove it now. No point in keeping it.

Regarding upgrades, some people are planning on upgrading that are on phpBB2 now, but there was so much custom coding built around the site, that they have to wait until everything is finished before moving on to phpBB3.
There are also team members here who prefer phpBB3 over phpBB2 100 to 1 who still run a phpBB2 board for one reason or another. -- It just depends on circumstance, it does not mean that phpBB2 is better -- it’s clearly not.
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

ckwalsh
Former Team Member
Posts: 1837
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:50 am
Location: Seattle, USA
Name: Cullen Walsh
Contact:

Re: Why would you remove the Powered by phpBB text?

Post by ckwalsh » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:25 am

Erik Frèrejean wrote:...
Please don't compare phpBB with the guys from Redmont for the simple reason you can't.
...
Just want to chip in that it's Redmond. Living near it makes me a little picky :P.

Everything I would have to contribute has been said, so I would repeat it just for the sake of repeating. The developers put a lot of time into creating both phpBB2 and phpBB3, and I see the copyright as a sign of respect. It shows you appreciate the effort that was volunteered to create the most popular Bulletin Board software on the internet.
Where to post what | Forum Rules | The Dos and Don'ts of General Discussion
In Seattle and want to meet, chat, or have a coffee? Drop me a PM.

Locked

Return to “phpBB Discussion”