Profile details changed????

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
pumpkinkid

Profile details changed????

Post by pumpkinkid »

I have a user that I alerted had an email address that was bouncing back. They tried to change their email and got logged out and went inactive with "Profile details changed". WTF?

It only took me a second to fix this, but can someone please explain this to me? Was there supposed to be an email alerting the user that this would happen?

If so where did the email get sent to? The invalid address?

Very confused...

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Profile details changed????

Post by stevemaury »

Users are inactivated when they change their email. They should get an email at the new address. That email is in language/en/email/user_activate.txt IF account activation is set to user in the User Registration settings in the ACP. Otherwise, the admin gets the email in (same path)/admin_activate.txt.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

pumpkinkid

Post by pumpkinkid »

that is such a hassle.... is there any workaround for that? I mean, I can see why its nice to do, but cant it be done without deactivating the user? if they change their email to an incorrect one, how would they fix it? That creates an issue that would end up with the user leaving the site or registering a new user....

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

When you change your email address you have to type it in a second time to confirm it. This stops you accidentally doing a typo, so the likelihood that the address is right is increased.

The admins email address is on the registration page so they would be able to contact you to change it in the user account if they messed it up twice.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

pumpkinkid

Post by pumpkinkid »

I really find this to be a con. Like I said, I can see why it can be helpful, but I have never been to a forum where I change my email address and my account gets deactivated.... this is ridiculous... I would much rather it leave the account active and notify the user....

Am I the only one bothered by this?

kazper

Post by kazper »

No. I'm in fact extremely bothered by this behaviour and the apparent inability to turn it off. I run a small forum that requires admin activation to be sure only people I know register (and keep out spambots), but I don't want to have to re-activate every one of my users when they change their email. This "feature" sucks big time. Now I will need to make some sort of ugly hack to the code to try and bypass it because I sure can't find a simple option for turning it on or off.... One of the worst side-effects yet of going form v2 to v3 and almost enough to make me wish I hadn't.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

guess what guys, it was the same process in phpbb2 and always has been as far as I know.
and every phpbb board has this feature.

I really don't get why this is such a big deal. If it was such a big deal to very many people, don't you think it would come up around here more often? Dont' you think it might have been changed a long time ago?

I would imagine that it is possible to change, just like anything else. So, the place to request a MOD is in the MOD forum here. Maybe you can find someone willing to write up a MOD for you to change this behaviour.

good luck,
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

triadruid

Post by triadruid »

Count me in for STILL finding this annoying, two years later. Especially on an admin-activation board, it ought to be possible to set this to a less-strict setting than initial activation, or disable it entirely.

Pit$Bull
Former Team Member
Name: Can't Remember

Post by Pit$Bull »

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”