EasyMOD alpha3 v0.0.10a released

This forum is now closed as part of retiring phpBB2.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

This forum is now closed due to phpBB2.0 being retired.
Nuttzy99
Former Team Member

EasyMOD alpha3 v0.0.10a released

Post by Nuttzy99 »

UPDATE: We have a new home!!!

EM is growing and we really needed more space to handle all the posts coming in. The phpBB Group is interested in EM have decided to give us our own subforums at Area51! I really appreciate this and hope great things may happen with phpBB and EM someday.

Check out the new digs!
http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB22/viewforum.php?sid=&f=15

I will leave this topic unlocked for a couple days so people can finish up their discussions and so I can answer whatever wasn't.

Thanks and see you at Area51!!
-Nuttzy 8)

--------------old news------------

Latest Status:

IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS: Look through the next 4 posts, especially the Mini FAQ before asking questions!!!!!!! It is not necessary to read the rest of the topic though ;)

August 15th - released for over 10 days and no bugs reported!

August 4th: 0.0.10a released

June 10th: I'm a proud father as of today! Details

-Nuttzy :cool:
Last edited by Nuttzy99 on Thu Aug 28, 2003 5:00 am, edited 5 times in total.
SpellingCow.com - Free spell check service for your forums or any web form!
No Support via PM please!
Nuttzy99
Former Team Member

Post by Nuttzy99 »

Introduction:
EasyMOD is an automatic MOD installer. It does in seconds what used to be the laborious and time consuming task of manually editing files. EM will install EasyMOD Compliant (EMC) MODs and also *try* to install all other MODs as well. For most users, MOD installs should be completely automated. There are break points so you can check what EM proposes to do before it makes any permanant changes.

Author's Notes:
EM is not yet feature complete. Most noteably it is missing SQL processing and an uninstaller. Since EM is not feature complete it is considered alpha software. EM has over 7500 lines of PHP code and this does not even include the 1000+ lines already written to handle SQL processing or the 8 template files. However, this is the 8th public release and by now the features EM does have are release quality. So feel free to install but remember it is not yet as good as its going to get ;)

Now that EM has reached a certain level of maturity, a refining process will take place. I will document how best to write MODs for EM (EasyMOD Compliant). A key to success will be getting MOD Authors to write their MODs so they don't clash with other MOD installations. My goal is to present a clear, reasonable, and unintrusive as possible method.

Lastly, thank you Daz for providing the EM graphics, thanks to the translators listed below, and special thanks to my 1337 Pre-Release Tester Team: Ptirhiik - RPGnet-fr, wGEric, morpheus2matrix, GPHemsley, LifeIsPain, and DanielT

Installation:

Download EM:
--LINK REMOVED BY NUTTZY--
Look here: http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB22/viewforum.php?f=15

New installs:
1) Extract in your admin directory. The proper directory heirachy should be admin/mods/easymod (note that "easymod" is now lowercase)
2) From a web browser, open http: //{YOUR BOARD ADDRESS}/admin/mods/easymod/easymod_install.php The install will guide you through everything and no modifications occur before warning you.
3) If you are using FTP access make sure you, as the owner, has write permission on ALL your phpBB files (744)
4) Once installed, you may wish to install the Country Flags MOD which is the only "official" EMC MOD.

Upgrading:
It is advised that you remove any previous admin/mods/EasyMOD directories. Once they are out of the way, just follow the install instructions above. EM will figure everything else out :D

Features:
  • Choose from some fully automated installation methods and some manual methods as well. You decide what's best for you!
  • the modifed files generated can be:
    • written directly to server (requires write access in the "mods" dir)
    • written to a buffer and FTP'd into place (requires FTP access)
    • downloaded to your local machine
    • written on screen in a seperate browser window (requires you to be sadistic ;))
  • If you are satisifed with the modifications, the files can then be moved into place
    • by the copy command (fully automated: requires write access to ALL dirs from phpBB root downward)
    • FTP'd into place (fully automated: requires FTP access)
    • execute a script (fully automated: requires permission to run scripts)
    • manually loaded (requires your time ;))
  • robust installer (needs some work though ;))
  • the program is ready to accept translations for multiple languages
  • support for ALL MOD Template functions (COPY command needs some work)
  • install MODs to all installed themes
  • install MODs to all installed languages
  • automatically backups up files before modifying (you should still make your own backups though!)
  • continued processing if non-English or non-subSilver file fails - you decide if you want to continue or not
  • password protected - even admins cannot access EM unless the board owner gives them the password
  • object oriented programming - classes could be used in other programs
  • install EMC MODs
  • *try* to install non-EMC MODs
  • settings ACP
  • installed MODs history ACP
  • view MOD script from the install screen (click link)
  • security-conscious every step of the way
  • MOD script line numbers appear where ever they will be helpful
  • convinient install debugger
  • I'm sure there are more but I don't feel like thinking about it anymore ;)

To Do List:
Things to be added/fixed in 0.0.11:
  • COPY command needs to handle *.* and entire directories
  • preview mode to see what changes EM proposes to make
  • multi-lingual support (with author notes ;))
  • better debugging for people messing up the FTP path
  • reinstalling EM after board upgrade - yashin19
  • any bugs that come up in 0.0.10
  • compensate for hard coded image paths in tpl - -=ET=-
  • allow for the entry of alternate FTP host names
  • throw an error if multiple target lines appear in IN-LINE commands - Jeep
  • limit what commands will be accepted
Things to be added/fixed in Beta 1:
  • SQL processing
  • INCREMENT command
  • auto restore backups option
  • uninstaller option
  • some way of cleaning up disk space
  • comphrensive method for dealing with lang packs
Translations:
EM is going international :D Translations of lang_easymod.php are needed!!! Several translations have already been completed although EM will not really utilize them until version 0.0.11. Below are the languages submitted and their current status:
  • Language - Author - EM version
  • Danish - AlleyKat - 0.0.9c
  • French - Jaeboy - 0.0.9
  • German - Balint - 0.0.9c
  • Norwegian - Espenhh - 0.0.9c
  • Portuguese - JuniorZ - 0.0.9 (file not available)
  • Swedish - Kail - 0.0.8
Language version changes
The language change log can be found here

Bug Tracker:

Bug // Reporter // status
---no 0.0.10a bugs submitted yet --

Changes from 0.0.9c to 0.0.10a:

Changes from 0.0.10 to 0.0.10a:
fixed COPY command to allow "copy dir/file to dir/"
fixed download option
fixed on screen option
added a debug mode for FTP with the installer
confirmed the FIND command already works perfectly (so don't bug me CE ;))

Changes from 0.0.9c to 0.0.10:
fix bug with mkdir return
missing buffer+ftp option on settings ACP
COPY command working except for *.*
make FTP the default methods
code paths correctly!!
../ in path a problem for some FTP servers - Aexoden
settings ACP should autocomplete with old settings
run FTP access test in debugger for move method
fix pass by ref warnings - GPHemsley + Ptirhiik
correctly parse MOD header to allow for EM to detect more MODs
display info on how to install other MODs
make sure english and subsilver are present before installing
lowcase EasyMOD dir to be easymod ;)
temporary quick fix to determine if file is ASCII or binary
fixed a duplicate lang file entry
make COPY accept unlimited tabs and spaces
changed mod_file param in EM table to be 255 chars (was 50)
fixed finding a bug with multi-line finds - GPHemsley
streamlined the function that performs FINDs

Previous version changes
The complete change log can be found here

Last edited by Nuttzy99 on Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Nuttzy99
Former Team Member

Post by Nuttzy99 »

Here's help for some frequently asked questions:

Installing MODs with EasyMOD
Theoretically, EM should be able to install any single MOD currently in the www.phpbb.com MODs database. However, MOD authors do not currently write their MODs to prevent clashes with other MODs. Therefore the more MODs you install then the more likely they will clash with each other and EM won't be able to install them. The next phase of the project will be to write a set of standards to prevent this (EMC).

To Install a MOD
  1. Load all files related to the MOD in the directory admin/mods/whatever_the_name_of_the_mod_is
    • the directory you create cannot have any spaces or single quotes (')
    • example: admin/mods/Country_Flags
  2. In the Admin Control Panel, under the Install MODs option, EM will list any MODs it detects. Clicking the "Process" button will initiate the install and EM will guide you every step of the way ;)
    • EM will scan any .txt or .mod file in the directories immediately under admin/mods to see if it's a MOD
EM won't see your MOD? Here's why
EM looks in the header of the MOD and needs to find at least a title and an author name in order to install. EM is fairly flexible in what it will accept, but optimially it is looking for the following format:

Code: Select all

## MOD Title: mod_title_goes_here 
## MOD Author: username < email > (real_name) website_url
## MOD Description: some_description_goes_here 
## MOD Version: x.x.x 

Installing Attachment MOD v2.3.8 with EM
Attachment MOD (Attach) by Aycd Burn is one the most popular MODs for phpBB. There is also a lot involved with installing it and there are many requests for it to work with EM. It almost does ;-) You just need to follow the simple steps below to get Attach ready for EM and have it installed in no time!

IF YOU ENCOUNTER A PROBLEM, ASK ON THE ATTACHMENT MOD TOPIC, NOT HERE!
  1. Refer to the Attach documentation for the most detailed installation instructions
  2. Place the attach_mod directory in admin/mods. You will now have an admin/mods/attach_mod directory.
  3. From admin/mods/attach_mod/docs move the appropriate script to admin/mods/attach_mod. For a fresh instal use install.txt
  4. One change to install.txt must be made so it can be used with EM.
    1. Edit install.txt
    2. Perform a global replace of attach_mod/root with just root This is specifically to fix the COPY command in Step I of Attach
    3. The lang files need to be added to the COPY command. Append the following to the list of files to be copied:
    copy root/language/lang_english/lang_admin_attach.php to language/lang_english/lang_admin_attach.php
    copy root/language/lang_english/lang_faq_attach.php to language/lang_english/lang_faq_attach.php
    copy root/language/lang_english/lang_main_attach.php to language/lang_english/lang_main_attach.php
  5. As per Step II of Attach:
    1. Copy the contents of admin/mods/attach_mod/root/install to install (in phpbb root)
    2. Run mod_table_inst.php through your web browser
  6. Install Attach using the EM Install MOD from Admin Control Panel.
  7. Refer to Step IV of Attach to see if you need to 777 a directory
IF YOU ENCOUNTER A PROBLEM, ASK ON THE ATTACHMENT MOD TOPIC, NOT HERE!

Last edited by Nuttzy99 on Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nuttzy99
Former Team Member

Post by Nuttzy99 »

I've only checked it over quickly, but GP has a few tips that may help folks:
GPHemsley wrote: INSTALLATION

1) Upload all files and folders for the MOD into the admin/mods/ folder.
2) All MODs should have their own folder and the folder name must not contain any spaces.
3) Visit the forum where the MOD(s) are to be installed, log in as an Administrator, and enter the Administration Panel.
4) Click on "Install MODs" under the "MOD Center" header in the left-hand-side panel.
5) Enter the password for EasyMOD that you first set at installation (or on the "EasyMOD Settings" page).
6) Find the MOD in the list of MODs and click the "Process" button to the right of it.
7) Confirm that EasyMOD has detected and correctly interpreted all steps in the MOD and then click the "Next Step" button.
8 ) Realize that EasyMOD does not currently execute any SQL and then click the "Complete Installation" button.
9) Check to make sure that the MOD installed correctly.

TROUBLESHOOTING

I get a "INVALID PASSWORD SUPPLIED" error when trying to enter the install page.
You have entered a password other than the one set for entrance to EasyMOD or you have not entered a password at all. Try entering a different password.

I get an "All MODs have been processed" message instead of a list of MODs on the "Install MODs" page.
Either there are no MODs in the admin/mods/ folder that have not been processed or one or more MODs have incorrect headers. Make sure the headers look like one of the following:

## MOD Title: name_of_MOD
## MOD Author: phpBB.com_nick < e-mail_address > (Real Name) 
## MOD Description: description_of_MOD

## MOD Title: name_of_MOD
## MOD Author: phpBB.com_nick < e-mail_address > (Real Name) http://MOD.author's.website/
## MOD Description: description_of_MOD
I get a "Critical Error" message on the first page of installing a MOD.
Usually critical errors occur when FINDs or COPYs cannot be completed. Make sure the code being looked for exists in the file it is being looked for in or that the file to be copied exists in the folder that it is said to be in.

I get a "Warning" message on the first page of installing a MOD.
This is just informing you that EasyMOD cannot find the specified lines of code in languages other than English or styles other than subSilver. You can then choose to continue with or halt installation of that MOD.

I get SQL Disabled messages on the second page of installation.
This is normal for alpha versions of EasyMOD. This is just to make you aware that you have to execute all SQL queries by hand.

I get COPY errors on the third page of installation.
There may be spaces in the name of the folder that contains the MOD. This will confuse EasyMOD. Eliminate any spaces in the foldername and try installing again. If there aren't any spaces, please report your error here.

The MOD does not operate as planned.
EasyMOD is not made to determine whether the MOD will do what you want. Just continue looking for the MOD that you want. Do NOT post here about it.

There are errors in pages outside of the EasyMOD pages in the Admin Panel (i.e. Parse errors, unexpected characters, etc.).
This is probably not an error on EasyMOD's part. Please contact the MOD Author in whichever way he/she prefers. If the MOD normally functions correctly with the version you tried to install, please report your error here.

Nuttzy99
Former Team Member

Post by Nuttzy99 »

Add Ons
A few users have been kind enough to make some add on's for EM.
  • ViewInfo by Jaeboy - allows you to see the info EM stores in the config table. Useful if you forget your EM password ;)
  • EasyMOD Addon by JuniorZ - uses the EM backups files to attempt to uninstall MODs
  • Version Changer by GPHemsley - if for some reason you need to reinstall the same version of EM, this proggie will let you change the EM version in the config table
Thanks guys!

Mini FAQ
General Questions:
  • Will EM work with my other Templates (like subBlack) and lang packs?

Yes, it will *try* but since all MODs are written for subSilver it is possible that it will run into problems with the other templates if they are too different from subSilver. Both subSilver and English must be present though.
  • How well does thing really work?

EM works fantastic for MODs that are properly formatted. Truthfully, most MODs are not written very well in that they do not prevent clashes with other MODs. But this is not really the MOD Author's fault since no guidelines have been written on how they should do this. I am currently writing the guidelines. Until they are written and MOD Authors start following them, then there are bound to be problems. (FYI, I do plan on being fairly flexible on what kind of coding styles I'll allow ;))
Installation:
  • Step 1: It says I don't have Copy access, or Write access, or some other kind of access. What do I do?

You don't need these. It is purely informational. As long as your have Read Access = OK then you will probably be fine.
  • Step 1: I'm trying to reinstall EM, but it says "This version of EM has already been installed."

If you use the Version Changer by GPHemsley, you can change the EM Version to anything other than 0.0.10a and then you'll be able to reinstall.
  • Step 1: When I look at the installer, it has nothing but F's where the text is supposed to be 8O

This truly bizarre problem is caused when at some point you tried running the EM installer and the lang_easymod.php file was not present. Make sure the file is in the admin/mods/easymod directory. If you continue to get the problem, then you need to clear your cache. For Internet Explorer, go to "Tools", "Internet Options", and then click the "Delete Files" button. Now try the installer again, refresh if needed.
  • Step 3: I get the error:

Could not open [language/lang_german/lang_admin.php] for reading.
    What do I do?

Most likely you have the Attachment MOD already installed and you do not have the German language package installed. Many people simply take the lang_german directory of the Attach MOD and copy it into place. This is wrong. If you do not have the German lang pack installed then simply delete the language/lang_german directory.
  • Step 4: I get these FTP errors:

Critical Error: FTP ERROR: could not move file [admin/mods/easymod/processed/language/lang_english/lang_admin.php.txt] to [lang_admin.php] 
    ATTEMPING REMAINDER OF POST PROCESS 
    Critical Error: FTP ERROR: could not change directory to [admin] 
    Current dir: [/public_html/forum/language/lang_english] 
    Critical Error: FTP ERROR: could not change directory to [admin] 
    Current dir: [/public_html/forum/language/lang_english] 
    What do I do?

Most likely your phpBB files are set to readonly (644 or 444 access). You need to give all the files in your phpBB installation write access to the file owner (744). This is *not* a security hole.

Step 5: I get something like this error:

Could not find $lang['MOD_control_tag'] = '0.0.10a in [language/lang_english/lang_admin.php].
    What do I do?

Ewwww... this means something has not gone correctly. Could mean a few things. If you got any errors or warnings before this step post them up so I can see them. Also click the "Display Debug Information" link and post that information. If you are using FTP then enable the FTP debugging so I can see that too.
MOD installations:
  • Be sure to read the previous posts on how to install a MOD!
  • My EM password doesn't work, or I can't remember it.

Some people forget to set the password at install time, so the password is actually nothing. Just try clicking submit with no password entered. If that fails, then I suggest you install ViewInfo by Jaeboy, which allow you to see what was entered.
  • EM says it cannot FIND a line in a file.

Most likely this is not EM's problem. The reason is either going to be one of the following:
    • a previous MOD installation modified the line so it can't be found
    • the warning appears on a non-subSilver template file b/c most likely that template is too different from subSilver
    • the MOD script tries to FIND the same line twice (a no-no)
    • the MOD script is not going in order as the lines appear in the file
    • the MOD script simply does not have the correct line to find
  • After installing the Country Flags MOD, I get erros on my board like this:

SQL Error : 1146 Table 'jipyipy_sgforum.phpbb_flags' doesn't exist 

SELECT * FROM phpbb_flags ORDER BY flag_id 
    What do I do?

For the love of God, how many times do I have to tell people that EM does not currently do SQL processing yet and that you will have to update your DB manually!?!?! If I could I would make my hand come of your monitor and give you a big dope slap on the forehead!! :lol: If you need help updating your DB, then this Tutorial on using phpMyAdmin could be helpful.
Reporting a problem:
If none of the information here helps you then I absolutely want you to report the problem so that I can help you and so that I can improve EM for everybody else too. Please include as much information as possible.

For problems with the EM installer, include the entire error and all debug information. If the debug information isn't displayed, then be sure to click the "Display Debug Information" link and include that information in your post. If you are using FTP, then also be sure to enable FTP debug mode and include that information as well.

Theoretically, if EM installs correctly, there shouldn't be any problems with MOD installations that are truly an EM bug. But if you think there is, then include any error messages or warning you get, your own description of any problems you are having, and be sure to provide a download link to the MOD you are trying to install.

Last edited by Nuttzy99 on Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
GPHemsley
Name: Gordon Hemsley

Post by GPHemsley »

Hey, I was just wondering the exact reasons for this version.... No "warnings" (the good kind) or anything.... What was wrong with the first one?
Nuttzy99
Former Team Member

Post by Nuttzy99 »

What does the changelog say? :P

EM is about to go into the MODs DB so I want to get it as good as can be before doing so ;)

chickeneater

Post by chickeneater »

hehe... I will check this out. I have a few mods on the line-up...

you should make a text find only, so tabs will be found easier.
GPHemsley

Post by GPHemsley »

Nuttzy99 wrote: What does the changelog say? :P

EM is about to go into the MODs DB so I want to get it as good as can be before doing so ;)

I just saw the changelog now. :P
Josh Windu

Post by Josh Windu »

well this thing is looking awsomely powerful!!
Nitrotech - Alpha stage... Your own fully customisable forum! and site!
Xenu

Post by Xenu »

Hello, I've found something weird about EasyMod. When I return to a previous "unmodded" or "lessmodded" version of my forum (from backups), the EasyMOD history isn't cleared, and prevents me from installing a mod that's in its history (which no longer is installed).

My reinstalled backups include my entire forum (in the public_html/forums folder) and the database. I don't see why reinstalling both of these doesn't take care of this problem. Where is this information stored?
chickeneater

Post by chickeneater »

the information is stored in the easymod table. I think it is phpbb_easymod. If you are starting off fresh, then you should empty the table with phpmyadmin. if you want to re-install some mods, then you go to browse, then delete the entry that is the mods name.
Jaeboy

Post by Jaeboy »

# 
#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------ 
# 
#
language/lang_english/lang_main.php

# 
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------ 
# 

//
// That's all Folks!
// -------------------------------------------------

# 
#-----[ BEFORE, ADD ]------------------------------------------ 
# 

//Add on for Gender Mod 
$lang['Gender'] = 'Gender';//used in users profile to display witch gender he/she is 
$lang['Male'] = 'Male'; 
$lang['Female']='Female'; 
$lang['No_gender_specify'] = 'None Specified'; 
It says the script is damage, a previous find has been executed...

But command executed:

[b]FIND    line #30 [/b]

language/lang_english/lang_main.php
[b]FIND    line #64 [/b]

//
// That's all Folks!
// -------------------------------------------------
PS: Nuttzy - check your mail for my last french update!
A personal blog :: My Blog | lalaland
GPHemsley

Post by GPHemsley »

Jaeboy

Post by Jaeboy »

LOL, i managed to fix that myself! Thx! :wink:
A personal blog :: My Blog | lalaland

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Writers Discussion”