Google Bot & Yahoo Bot

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
apit

Google Bot & Yahoo Bot

Post by apit » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:40 am

Hi..i got some problem with phpbb 3.0.0 ..From Who Is Online status, i found this user exist on my forum board but not in my list of registered users. Refer attachment below.
Attachments
google-bot.JPG
google-bot.JPG (8.46 KiB) Viewed 13070 times
phpbb-yahoo-bot.JPG
phpbb-yahoo-bot.JPG (10.07 KiB) Viewed 13067 times
the more i know, the more i do not know

karlsemple
Former Team Member

Re: Google Bot & Yahoo Bot

Post by karlsemple » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:42 am

They are not users, those are default accounts for the search engine spider bots, you can set up accounts for these to control them with forum permissions as will as optimising indexing of your board.

You can see the bot accounts at, Admin control panel -> general tab -> quick access -> Spiders/Robots

apit

Post by apit » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:52 am

so can this yahoo bot & google bot effect my forum board?
the more i know, the more i do not know

karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:56 am

apit wrote:so can this yahoo bot & google bot effect my forum board?

As I said they are just spider bots which search engines send out to index the data on the web for listing in the search results of the search engine. When you search for something on google and it returns results, well those results can only be provides as Google has information on the sites listed in the results which is collected via bots. Even without the account the bots would spider the site/board but would show up as guests. Depending on permissions all they can do is index and cache your content for listing on search engines. If you do not want them spidering your board them simply remove all forum permissions for the bot user group and then user a robots.txt file to tell them not to index your site.

ham1299

Post by ham1299 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:14 pm

I want to allow the bots into my site, but I don't want them to cache my pages. This is what I found:
Prevent or remove cached pages

Google automatically takes a "snapshot" of each page it crawls and archives it. This "cached" version allows a webpage to be retrieved for your end users if the original page is ever unavailable (due to temporary failure of the page's web server). The cached page appears to users exactly as it looked when Google last crawled it, and we display a message at the top of the page to indicate that it's a cached version. Users can access the cached version by choosing the "Cached" link on the search results page.

To prevent all search engines from showing a "Cached" link for your site, place this tag in the <HEAD> section of your page:

<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOARCHIVE">

To allow other search engines to show a "Cached" link, preventing only Google from displaying one, use the following tag:

<META NAME="GOOGLEBOT" CONTENT="NOARCHIVE">

Note: This tag only removes the "Cached" link for the page. Google will continue to index the page and display a snippet.
Should I put that in overall_header?
Heather

karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:25 pm

ham1299 wrote: Should I put that in overall_header?
Yes :) When opening the file in a plain text editor you should see the existing meta tags towards the top of the file, simply add it after those and then save and re-upload the file :) Remember to refresh the template via the styles section of the ACP after making the edit :)

ham1299

Post by ham1299 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:31 pm

karlsemple wrote:
ham1299 wrote: Should I put that in overall_header?
Yes :) When opening the file in a plain text editor you should see the existing meta tags towards the top of the file, simply add it after those and then save and re-upload the file :) Remember to refresh the template via the styles section of the ACP after making the edit :)
Thanks so much! :mrgreen:
Heather

ham1299

Post by ham1299 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:33 pm

OK, I just want to make sure I'm doing this right. Here's where my meta tags are:

Code: Select all

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" dir="{S_CONTENT_DIRECTION}" lang="{S_USER_LANG}" xml:lang="{S_USER_LANG}">
<head>

<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset={S_CONTENT_ENCODING}" />
<meta http-equiv="content-style-type" content="text/css" />
<meta http-equiv="content-language" content="{S_USER_LANG}" />
<meta http-equiv="imagetoolbar" content="no" />
<meta name="resource-type" content="document" />
<meta name="distribution" content="global" />
<meta name="copyright" content="2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group" />
<meta name="keywords" content="" />
<meta name="description" content="" />
{META}
<title>{SITENAME} &bull; <!-- IF S_IN_MCP -->{L_MCP} &bull; <!-- ELSEIF S_IN_UCP -->{L_UCP} &bull; <!-- ENDIF -->{PAGE_TITLE}</title>

<!--
	phpBB style name: prosilver
	Based on style:   prosilver (this is the default phpBB3 style)
	Original author:  Tom Beddard ( http://www.subBlue.com/ )
	Modified by:   Ika - ShadowFlames Development     

NOTE: This page was generated by phpBB, the free open-source bulletin board package.
	      The phpBB Group is not responsible for the content of this page and forum. For more information
	      about phpBB please visit http://www.phpbb.com
-->
Is this the line I enter it after:

Code: Select all

<meta name="description" content="" />
Heather

karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:35 pm

Yes :)

On a side note can I ask that in future you please start your own topics for support questions you may have :) This is to prevent topics becoming confusing, which can happen when several people are asking questions in them, thanks :)

ham1299

Post by ham1299 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:37 pm

karlsemple wrote:Yes :)

On a side note can I ask that in future you please start your own topics for support questions you may have :) This is to prevent topics becoming confusing, which can happen when several people are asking questions in them, thanks :)
Thank you.

Sorry about that! :oops: I'll be more careful in the future.
Heather

etccu

Post by etccu » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:04 pm

Are there any negatives associated with these bots?

For example, I mean, I'm aware that "Yahoo [Bot]" just means it's a bot that's looking to possibly index my board's topics/posts etc., and get some links whenever a query on Yahoo!'s search engine may match content on my boards. So, what if I'm like, "Cool, more visibility for my forum--feel free, Yahoo [Bot]~"

Is there any danger in such an attitude?

Thanks for anything anyone can share on this.

--etccu

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:30 pm

No, no danger.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”