Bots Install Script

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in the Customisations Database.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTICE: This forum is only for the announcement of new releases and/or updates of MODs. Any MOD support should be obtained through the Customisations Database in the support area designated for each MOD.

A direct link to support for each MOD is in the first post of the respective topic.
Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot

Bots Install Script

Post by Extensions Robot »

Modification name: Bots Install Script
Author: T50
Modification description: This mod will add 100+ bots automatically to your forum
Modification version: 1.0.0
Tested on phpBB version: 3.0.2

Download file: BotsMod Install.zip
File size: 32.09 KiB

Modification overview page: View

The phpBB Team is not responsible nor required to provide support for this modification. By installing this MOD, you acknowledge that the phpBB Support Team or phpBB Extension Customisations Team may not be able to provide support.

-->Modification support<--
Last edited by Extensions Robot on Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:33 pm, edited 11 times in total.
(this is a non-active account manager for the phpBB Extension Customisations Team)
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Bots Install Script

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

Modification validated/released

Notes:
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish
T50

Bots Install Script

Post by T50 »

First let me just say this, this mod DOES NOT make bots visit your forum, this mod onlys adds about 100 bots to your current list of bots, so if they visit your forum they will get the proper permissions.

with that said, now for your questions, generally bots index your site, and some other things bots do,
they are good to have installed if your getting a bunch of bot like visits, this mod is to help those that don't have time to track down alot of bots to add individually in the ACP, some boards want guests to be able to see certain parts of their forum that they don't wants bots to be able to and vice-versa if the bot isn't added to your bot list it will be a guest and will give them the wrong permissions
∞House wrote:The Bots Group is one of the Core Groups in phpBB3. It cannot be deleted because it was hard-coded into the software. On top of that, this particular group is there for a very specific purpose: the proper handling of webcrawler/spider/bots' sessions. So when these visitors (like Googlebot) do visit your forum, they will be recognized by their User Agent. - A user-agent is not something in phpBB, but rather a string provided to the webserver by the crawler/bot, or even the web browser that you're using at the moment. (My personal user-agent is "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.1) Gecko/2008070208 Firefox/3.0.1 BETA!".)

What this MOD does is add a list of user-agents which are known to be used by these bots. So when they visit, they are simply identified and are handled as per the permissions set for the Bot Group. By default, there are no security issues what so ever with this. But you can theoretically give them more access to your board then you would normally want to under any foreseeable circumstance. - Such is with the Guest Group. You could give Guests ACP rights, for example. (Unless this has been denied at the file-level. I haven't personally tried, though it's a good example.)
∞House wrote:You know on the "Manage bots" page(, when you click the "Spiders/Robots" link), how you can scroll down the list and there's a button that says "Add bot"? Well, this is just a script that Adds about 100 currently known robots/webcrawlers to that list. So really, it just saves you the time and hassle of adding them. :)
That said, (and I'm only emphasizing this for everyone else, Peter77sx ;) ) it does not make these bots/crawlers visit your website. It only means that they'll be properly listed and handled by phpBB when they do find your site. - And if/when they do (depending solely on whether or not your website gets enough traffic, naturally), then yes, they will surely be listed in the Who's-Online box/etc. :mrgreen:
Last edited by T50 on Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Free Webhosting with option of getting paid plan <-- No Ads, No Pop-ups, Absolutely free/ or use promo code T50 to get a 10% discount on paid plan!
Make a few $$ in under a few minutes, easy to do

Webmaster of a Northeast Wisconsin Boy Scout Troop Website, http://bsat50.info
T50

Re: Bots Install Script

Post by T50 »

Woo Hoo! :D
Free Webhosting with option of getting paid plan <-- No Ads, No Pop-ups, Absolutely free/ or use promo code T50 to get a 10% discount on paid plan!

danswano

Post by danswano »

Thanks, working.
∞House

Post by ∞House »

Tim, at least one of those bots are listed twice in the array. :twisted:

Code: Select all

'Fast PartnerSite'            => array('Fast PartnerSite Crawler', ''), 
T50

Post by T50 »

∞House wrote:Tim, at least one of those bots are listed twice in the array. :twisted:

'Fast PartnerSite'            => array('Fast PartnerSite Crawler', ''), 
hmm I missed that one, will get it in next version

vellatechie

Post by vellatechie »

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Duplicate entry 'java [bad bot]' for key 2 [1062]

SQL

INSERT INTO phpbb_users (username, username_clean, user_password, user_pass_convert, user_email, user_email_hash, group_id, user_type, user_permissions, user_arcade_permissions, user_timezone, user_dateformat, user_lang, user_style, user_actkey, user_ip, user_regdate, user_passchg, user_options, user_inactive_reason, user_inactive_time, user_lastmark, user_lastvisit, user_lastpost_time, user_lastpage, user_posts, user_reputation, user_dst, user_colour, user_occ, user_interests, user_avatar, user_avatar_type, user_avatar_width, user_avatar_height, user_new_privmsg, user_unread_privmsg, user_last_privmsg, user_message_rules, user_full_folder, user_emailtime, user_notify, user_notify_pm, user_notify_type, user_allow_pm, user_allow_viewonline, user_allow_viewemail, user_allow_massemail, user_sig, user_sig_bbcode_uid, user_sig_bbcode_bitfield, user_form_salt) VALUES ('Java [Bad bot]', 'java [bad bot]', '', 0, '', '00', 6, 2, '', '', 0, 'D M d, Y g:i a', 'en', 1, '', '', 1221771853, 1221771853, 895, 0, 0, 1221771853, 0, 0, '', 0, 5, 0, '9E8DA7', '', '', '', 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, -3, 0, 0, 1, 0, 1, 1, 1, 0, '', '', '', '36364aec869878b6')

BACKTRACE

FILE: includes/db/mysql.php
LINE: 158
CALL: dbal->sql_error()

FILE: includes/functions_user.php
LINE: 254
CALL: dbal_mysql->sql_query()

FILE: bots.php
LINE: 191
CALL: user_add()

FILE: bots.php
LINE: 207
CALL: add_bots2()
i get this error when i go to mydomain.com/bots.php after copying teh files
T50

Post by T50 »

I do believe I mentioned in the author notes on the XML that it will general error out if you have one of the bots already on your board.
just put // in front of the line that has that bot. I think that is the first one on the list.

megalomania

Post by megalomania »

Just out of pure curiousity and newbieness.. What would 100 bots do on your forum? What good are they?
T50

Post by T50 »

megalomania wrote:Just out of pure curiousity and newbieness.. What would 100 bots do on your forum? What good are they?
First let me just say this, this mod DOES NOT make bots visit your forum, this mod onlys adds about 100 bots to your current list of bots, so if they visit your forum they will get the proper permissions.

with that said, now for your questions, generally bots index your site, and some other things bots do,
they are good to have installed if your getting a bunch of bot like visits, this mod is to help those that don't have time to track down alot of bots to add individually in the ACP, some boards want guests to be able to see certain parts of their forum that they don't wants bots to be able to and vice-versa if the bot isn't added to your bot list it will be a guest and will give them the wrong permissions

megalomania

Post by megalomania »

Thank you, now I know! :D
eman80

Post by eman80 »

nice mod works fine

thank you
welcome to my forum: