EasyMOD alpha3 v0.0.10a released

This forum is now closed as part of retiring phpBB2.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

This forum is now closed due to phpBB2.0 being retired.
Tyerial

thats the thing =/

Post by Tyerial »

i do not have any of those links =/ its like not there at all
Nuttzy99
Former Team Member

Post by Nuttzy99 »

Did you try installing the version changer though? I thought it would work even if EM is not installed? Oh well, to do it manually, all you need to do is go into the phpbb_config table, look for the EM_version entry, and change the value to anything other than 0.0.10a ;)

-Nuttzy :cool:
SpellingCow.com - Free spell check service for your forums or any web form!
No Support via PM please!
Nuttzy99
Former Team Member

Post by Nuttzy99 »

dooglas wrote: Any help would be great!
Blah. Kind of stumped right now 8O Maybe after I get some sleezzzZZZZZZZZzzzz (g'nite!)

Tyerial

ok i did that but now i get this error

Post by Tyerial »

Parse error: parse error in /home/silent/public_html/forum/admin/admin_easymod.php on line 793

when i go to the admin board
dooglas

Post by dooglas »

Nuttzy99 wrote:
dooglas wrote:Any help would be great!
Blah. Kind of stumped right now 8O Maybe after I get some sleezzzZZZZZZZZzzzz (g'nite!)

Okay..sleep on it and get back to me. :)
Tyler Durden

Post by Tyler Durden »

Nuttzy99 wrote:
A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:It appears you don't have write permissions, Tyler
Yup, sounds like it Jelly. He should be using FTP if he has access (regardless of what the FTP Module test in the install says).

Thanks to both of you for the ideas. I do have FTP access, even though the mod doesnt recognise it ... bah. I've set the whole forum directory including all the files to 777 just to make sure there is write access.
Thing I dont understand is ... the file it's trying to access doesnt exist!

Code: Select all

Processing Files
Parsing: language/lang_english/lang_admin.php

Error 

Critical Error

Could not open [processed/language/lang_english/lang_admin.php.txt] for writing.
lang_admin.php.txt ... this file doesnt exist in the directory! So ... ?

I'll try the ftp instead .... what the heck ... cant hurt! lol

*fingers crossed*

EDIT EDIT LAST EDIT: Okay I got the thing to install using the manual mode. I still ended up seeing the glitch come back to haunt me! When it was time to move the files manually, what's the first file it asks for? The damn lang_admin.php.txt!!!! It's not fucking there!!!

Oh well I sucked it up and moved all the other files and pressed continue. Got no errors and it says it's successfully installed ... but I wonder?

Anyway ... 3 minute install? Nope .. I think that's a little *hopeful* dont you guys? I'm thinking more like a 20 minute install if all's well ... and hours if its not.

I am seriously thinking maybe I dont want to do the attach_mod ... if it screws up I'll have to do this whole thing again! I think I'll pay the mod fairy to come visit my forum next time! lol

If anyone can explain the missing file, what it does, and most importantly .. do I need it? Id be really grateful!

*do not talk about Fight Club!*
Last edited by Tyler Durden on Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
NiN Website ... NiN Forum Come On In!
*scientists have found the two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity!*
zparta

Post by zparta »

well you dont have the permission in the directory of the mod you are trying to install thats the problem try to chown it as the same user as the rest of the board
-=ET=-

Post by -=ET=- »

I have one question about the instruction [ REPLACE WITH ].

According to John's MODs template...
http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article.php?article_id=39
... [ REPLACE WITH ] should only replace "whatever we "FIND" with your new block of code".

So, imagine this line...

&img src="templates/subSilver/images/some_new_image.gif" alt="{L_PHPBB_VARIABLE}"/&
If I ask to find...

# 
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------ 
#
{L_PHPBB_VARIABLE}
And want to do this...

# 
#-----[ REPLACE WITH ]------------------------------------------ 
#
{L_MY_VARIABLE}
According to John's template, only the text found should be replaced...

&img src="templates/subSilver/images/some_new_image.gif" alt="{L_MY_VARIABLE}"/&
But with EM 0.0.10a the whole line is replaced...

{L_MY_VARIABLE}
What's wrong?
The MOD will be different if we install it manually or by EM, or I misunderstand something?

Next, a part from that point, this works (replace by a blank line)...

# 
#
&img src="templates/subSilver/images/some_new_image.gif" alt="{L_PHPBB_VARIABLE}"/&

# 
#-----[ REPLACE WITH ]------------------------------------------ 
#

#
But this doesn't (replace by nothing)...

# 
#

# 
#-----[ IN-LINE FIND ]------------------------------------------ 
#
{L_PHPBB_VARIABLE}

# 
#-----[ IN-LINE REPLACE WITH ]------------------------------------------ 
#

#
Shouldn't they both work, or both don't work if the normal command should be DELETE and IN-LINE DELETE (or REMOVE instead of DELETE)?
Eternal newbie
Nuttzy99
Former Team Member

Post by Nuttzy99 »

Tyler Durden wrote: Could not open [processed/language/lang_english/lang_admin.php.txt] for writing.
Well of course the file is not there, its trying to create it but you don't have permission to probably b/c your webserver has safe mode or something.
I'll try the ftp instead .... what the heck ... cant hurt! lol
Did you do this? If not, then why not? FTP comes up as the default selections and there is a big blurb in the installer about FTP being the best method to use.
Okay I got the thing to install using the manual mode.
WHY???????????????????????????????

/me violently shakes Tyler to snap him out of it

Please try FTP. If FTP doesn't work then report back with the errors it throws (in FTP Debug Mode).
Anyway ... 3 minute install? Nope .. I think that's a little *hopeful* dont you guys?
Uh... not for people that follow directions :P But I do understand that the directions could be spruced up a bit too, so its not entirely your fault. But when everyone is saying to use FTP and you don't.... well then I don't know what to tell you :P

Nuttzy99
Former Team Member

Post by Nuttzy99 »

-=ET=- wrote: According to John's MODs template...
http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article.php?article_id=39
... [ REPLACE WITH ] should only replace "whatever we "FIND" with your new block of code".
Holy Crap!! Well, there is currently a freeze on John, myself, or any other Team members making any changes to the template until Automation and Validation get on the same page. Wow, I was completely unaware of this one though 8O
DELETE and IN-LINE DELETE (or REMOVE instead of DELETE)?
EM doesn't really deal with this situation yet b/c I need to discuss it with the MOD Team. Its just a case where some things are going to take a little bit of time to iron out. Automation and Validation have had 2 different ways of looking at things for over a year, and now we are going to try and have the same approach on all matters. Once that is done, we'll be writing everything in stone ;)

majerror

Re: Processed MODs

Post by majerror »

Nuttzy99 wrote:
majerror wrote:All the following have been successfully processed on my forum.
Wow! 8O That's great! Also, I will be contacting you later b/c I'm interested in how you resolved your FTP problem. I think whatever you did is the same that others will need too.

Thanks!

I went through and tested all the mods to make sure they worked...
It seems that all IN-LINE ADD/INSERT instructions are recognized but unimplemented in the final code, while the IN-LINE REPLACE command replaces the entire section that was pointed to with FIND.

As for my FTP trouble, I just stopped using it. Current settings:
reading: server
writing: server
moving: copy

I think most of my problem is the fact that the server is behind the firewall. I don't have a DNS server on my "intranet". In using the external ip or the dyndns domain name, the connection would just time out. I probably could use FTP by hacking the server's host file making the domain name point to the local ip.
VirtualSpace forum
http://virtualspace.mine.nu
Nuttzy99
Former Team Member

Post by Nuttzy99 »

majerror wrote: I think most of my problem is the fact that the server is behind the firewall. I don't have a DNS server on my "intranet". In using the external ip or the dyndns domain name, the connection would just time out. I probably could use FTP by hacking the server's host file making the domain name point to the local ip.
That's what I don't get. It tries to connect to "localhost" so when you are talking about a local IP I'm really not sure where that is coming from. For example, I do a lot of my testing on my laptop which is running both a webserver and FTP server (when I want it to :P ). The EM install with FTP works even if I'm unplugged from the net since it is all using localhost. Firewalls shouldn't even becoming into play since its not even leaving the machine. Unless you have a software based firewall, but even then I'm not sure if it is an issue as my Tiny Personal Firewall doesn't have any problems with it.

Thanks for replying! :mrgreen:

majerror

Re: installation trouble

Post by majerror »

Nuttzy99 wrote:
majerror wrote:I had to remove the explicit IP entry for use in PASV connections to get the installation to work...
Could you elaborate on this b/c I really don't know what it means. EM tries to connect to "localhost" and does not specify and IP (not even 127.0.0.1). Please explain both the problem and the solution. I would greatly appreciate it!!!

Thanks,

oh...

For whatever reason, the FTP test/initial install would connect via localhost, then inexplicably switch to using the external IP. The connection would time-out when PASV mode engaged (see prior post for explanation on this.) To get it to work on my "intranet" I had to remove the external ip from the Serv-U config for what IP to use for PASV mode connections. I haven't checked the config since I switched all the file handling options, but FTP access wouldn't work from a remote location either.....it is possible that I might have returned the Serv-U config to the previous settings.

I think my FTP trouble is mostly related to the server config, though making PASV connections a selectable option would probably help...

hope I didn't ramble too badly :lol:
VirtualSpace forum
majerror

Post by majerror »

Nuttzy99 wrote:
majerror wrote:I think most of my problem is the fact that the server is behind the firewall. I don't have a DNS server on my "intranet". In using the external ip or the dyndns domain name, the connection would just time out. I probably could use FTP by hacking the server's host file making the domain name point to the local ip.
That's what I don't get. It tries to connect to "localhost" so when you are talking about a local IP I'm really not sure where that is coming from. For example, I do a lot of my testing on my laptop which is running both a webserver and FTP server (when I want it to :P ). The EM install with FTP works even if I'm unplugged from the net since it is all using localhost. Firewalls shouldn't even becoming into play since its not even leaving the machine. Unless you have a software based firewall, but even then I'm not sure if it is an issue as my Tiny Personal Firewall doesn't have any problems with it.

Thanks for replying! :mrgreen:

oops. I should've been a bit more specific in my explanation. my server is not connected directly to the internet. I have another machine set up for port forwarding...

This exchange has given me the idea to try a few thing out with the Serv-U PASV configuration. I'm not sure if your familiar with all the settings in it, but you can specify both a port range as well as a specific IP to use.
In my case, I entered the external ip of the firewall for the IP to use. I wonder what would happen if I left it blank... :?
VirtualSpace forum
-=ET=-

Post by -=ET=- »

lol :P

Hi Nuttzy,

I'm sure you will hate me soon if I continue raising problems like that lol :wink:

One more example showing that you need to solve what you called "compensate for hard coded image paths in tpl", not only by waiting a 2.2.0 phpBB release with no more hard coded path.

As you may know, I rewrite all the MODs I use for EM (and some others too).
One of those is "Fading links".

# 
#-----[ COPY ]------------------------------------------ 
#
copy root/fade.js to fade.js

# 
#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------ 
# 
templates/subSilver/overall_header.tpl

# 
# 
<!-- END switch_enable_pm_popup -->

# 
#-----[ AFTER, ADD ]------------------------------------------ 
# 

<!-- Start add - Fading Links MOD -->
<script language="JavaScript" src="fade.js"></script>
<!-- End add - Fading Links MOD -->
But this MOD needs an update to be able to fade links in different colors according to the style used by the user.

And then, I've just send an MP to its author to suggest him this update. And... this update is... :P

# 
#-----[ COPY ]------------------------------------------------ 
#
copy root/templates/subSilver/fade.js to templates/subSilver/

# 
#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------------ 
# 
templates/subSilver/overall_header.tpl

# 
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------------ 
# 
<!-- END switch_enable_pm_popup -->

# 
#-----[ AFTER, ADD ]------------------------------------------ 
# 

<!-- Start add - Fading Links MOD -->
<script language="JavaScript" src="templates/subSilver/fade.js"></script>
<!-- End add - Fading Links MOD -->
The path needs to be hard coded because it's in a JS script! (and I'm not sure it's possible to easily use a variable in this case) :roll:

So, if we can't use a variable... EM needs to manage this case :?

Sorry.
Eternal newbie

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Writers Discussion”