Google [Bot]

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
jorgebonafe

Google [Bot]

Post by jorgebonafe »

Hi. I have a question about something that has been happening on my forum.

Sometimes I see a user logged on, called "Google [Bot]". I know phpbb3 has configurations to allow search bots to log in, so I wasn't surprised.

Whats strange is this. I made a shout box for my forum. About a month ago, Google [Bot] posted a message on that shoutbox. the message was empty. A fet days later he posted another message, this time a single dot "." . And today, he posted this message:
Celebrate the 10th birthday of Google by changing the world. Want to change the world? We do too. We're looking for big ideas that help as many people as possible, and we're committed to making the best ones happen. Please visit us at "www.google.com/tenthbirthday"
Is it possible for the Google bot to post or write stuff on websites? Is there a chance that someone is pretending to be the Google bot to access my site?
Last edited by karlsemple on Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic icon changed
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Google [Bot]

Post by stevemaury »

You can set the Bots Group's permission role to Read-only, but I do not know where your shoutbox is. If it is in the index page or in the header or footer, you may have to do something more to prevent bot posting. Please tell us what shoutbox and where it is. In fact, please fill out the Support Request Template for version 3.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple »

Unlikely, it is possible for a user to spoof the the bots user agent and browse the board as the bot, although you really should not have given the bots permissions to post anyway so someone doing this would then not be able to post, the bot group should have the same or less permissions than guests. i.e see and read only :)
T50

Post by T50 »

if this is the ajax chatbox by Handyman` I know he had that issue of that before, you might want to ask about it in the mod's topic.
Free Webhosting with option of getting paid plan <-- No Ads, No Pop-ups, Absolutely free/ or use promo code T50 to get a 10% discount on paid plan!
Make a few $$ in under a few minutes, easy to do

Webmaster of a Northeast Wisconsin Boy Scout Troop Website, http://bsat50.info
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

Depending on where the shoutbox is, permissions may not apply. You may have to use template switches. But first we need to know what file the code is in.

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

stevemaury wrote:You can set the Bots Group's permission role to Read-only, but I do not know where your shoutbox is. If it is in the index page or in the header or footer, you may have to do something more to prevent bot posting. Please tell us what shoutbox and where it is.
Yeah, the shoutbox is on the index page, only logged users see it.
T50 wrote:if this is the ajax chatbox by Handyman` I know he had that issue of that before, you might want to ask about it in the mod's topic.
Its not, I made the shoutbox myself, though I think a problem on the code its possible.

I thought the google bot went through the sites just reading everything. So, it can actually write stuff?
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

Post the code from index_body.html and 20 lines before and after. Please use the Code tags.

karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple »

So, it can actually write stuff?
Bots can be made to write stuff, but I have never come across the Googlebot writing stuff. As I said though a users could be spoofing his browser user agent to be able to browse using the GoogleBot account (if I had your link I could show you it can be done)

Basically if you wrote the shoutbox yourself you will need to make it show it does not show to bots depending on how your shoutbox is integrated into the board it can be done in the code or using a template switch.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

The following is the basic SRT
Your board's URL: http://www.game-patchrpg.com/forums/
Version of phpBB3: 3.0.2
Was this a fresh install or a(n) update/upgrade/conversion (please be specific)?
Upgrade
Did you use an automated wizard provided by your host to install phpBB?
No
MODs you have installed:
I dont have the list now, but I doubt its much relevant. The shoutbox wasn't a mod I got here, I made it from scratch
When the problem started: about a month ago
Your level of expertise (be honest): beginner to moderate.

Additionally, you may wish to provide the following (where applicable)
Template(s) used: Custom template, based on prosilver
Language(s) used: English
Version of PHP used: 4.4.7
Database and version used: Mysql, v 5.0.16

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

index_body.html

Code: Select all

<!-- INCLUDE overall_header.html -->

<p class="{S_CONTENT_FLOW_END}<!-- IF S_USER_LOGGED_IN --> rightside<!-- ENDIF -->"><!-- IF S_USER_LOGGED_IN -->{LAST_VISIT_DATE}<!-- ELSE -->{CURRENT_TIME}<!-- ENDIF --></p>
<!-- IF U_MCP --><p>{CURRENT_TIME} <br />[&nbsp;<a href="{U_MCP}">{L_MCP}</a>&nbsp;]</p><!-- ELSEIF S_USER_LOGGED_IN --><p>{CURRENT_TIME}</p><!-- ENDIF -->

<!-- IF S_DISPLAY_SEARCH or (S_USER_LOGGED_IN and not S_IS_BOT) -->
<ul class="linklist">
	<!-- IF S_DISPLAY_SEARCH -->
		<li><a href="{U_SEARCH_UNANSWERED}">{L_SEARCH_UNANSWERED}</a><!-- IF S_USER_LOGGED_IN --> &bull; <a href="{U_SEARCH_NEW}">{L_SEARCH_NEW}</a><!-- ENDIF --> &bull; <a href="{U_SEARCH_ACTIVE_TOPICS}">{L_SEARCH_ACTIVE_TOPICS}</a></li>
	<!-- ENDIF -->
	<!-- IF not S_IS_BOT and U_MARK_FORUMS --><li class="rightside"><a href="{U_MARK_FORUMS}" accesskey="m">{L_MARK_FORUMS_READ}</a></li><!-- ENDIF -->
</ul>
<!-- ENDIF -->

<!-- IF S_SHOUTBOX_ENABLED and S_USER_LOGGED_IN-->
	<!-- INCLUDE shoutbox_quick.html -->
<!-- ENDIF -->

<!-- INCLUDE forumlist_body.html -->

<!-- IF not S_USER_LOGGED_IN and not S_IS_BOT -->
	<form method="post" action="{S_LOGIN_ACTION}" class="headerspace">
	<h3><a href="{U_LOGIN_LOGOUT}">{L_LOGIN_LOGOUT}</a><!-- IF S_REGISTER_ENABLED -->&nbsp; &bull; &nbsp;<a href="{U_REGISTER}">{L_REGISTER}</a><!-- ENDIF --></h3>
		<fieldset class="quick-login">
			<label for="username">{L_USERNAME}:</label>&nbsp;<input type="text" name="username" id="username" size="10" class="inputbox" title="{L_USERNAME}" />  
			<label for="password">{L_PASSWORD}:</label>&nbsp;<input type="password" name="password" id="password" size="10" class="inputbox" title="{L_PASSWORD}" />
			<!-- IF S_AUTOLOGIN_ENABLED -->
				| <label for="autologin">{L_LOG_ME_IN} <input type="checkbox" name="autologin" id="autologin" /></label>
			<!-- ENDIF -->
			<input type="submit" name="login" value="{L_LOGIN}" class="button2" />
		</fieldset>
	</form>
<!-- ENDIF -->

<!-- IF S_DISPLAY_ONLINE_LIST -->
	<!-- IF U_VIEWONLINE --><h3><a href="{U_VIEWONLINE}">{L_WHO_IS_ONLINE}</a></h3><!-- ELSE --><h3>{L_WHO_IS_ONLINE}</h3><!-- ENDIF -->
	<p>{TOTAL_USERS_ONLINE} ({L_ONLINE_EXPLAIN})<br />{RECORD_USERS}<br /> <br />{LOGGED_IN_USER_LIST}
	<!-- IF LEGEND --><br /><em>{L_LEGEND}: {LEGEND}</em><!-- ENDIF --></p>
<!-- ENDIF -->

<!-- IF S_DISPLAY_BIRTHDAY_LIST and BIRTHDAY_LIST -->
	<h3>{L_BIRTHDAYS}</h3>
	<p><!-- IF BIRTHDAY_LIST -->{L_CONGRATULATIONS}: <strong>{BIRTHDAY_LIST}</strong><!-- ELSE -->{L_NO_BIRTHDAYS}<!-- ENDIF --></p>
<!-- ENDIF -->

<!-- IF NEWEST_USER -->
	<h3>{L_STATISTICS}</h3>
	<p>{TOTAL_POSTS} &bull; {TOTAL_TOPICS} &bull; {TOTAL_USERS} &bull; {NEWEST_USER}</p>
<!-- ENDIF -->

<!-- INCLUDE overall_footer.html -->
Last edited by jorgebonafe on Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple »

How have you gone about showing the shoutbox to registered members only?
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

This:

<!-- IF S_SHOUTBOX_ENABLED and S_USER_LOGGED_IN-->
Should be this:

<!-- IF S_SHOUTBOX_ENABLED and not S_IS_BOT and S_USER_LOGGED_IN-->

jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Thanks a lot!

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”