New phpbb using the same users

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
jmryanuk

New phpbb using the same users

Post by jmryanuk »

Am I able to start from fresh and download the new version of phpbb and keep the same users and current posts in the structure that they are in?

if this is poss - please could you let me know how.....

if it is not - please could you also let me know....

Thank you

James
The Pelican
Location: Home is where the heart is (which happens to be in the Netherlands)

Post by The Pelican »

Yes it is possible.

If you have done no MOD's, you can just upload the new files, replacing the old ones. All you have to do then is running the update script.
The Pelican :)
Knowledge Base || No PM support and no MSN or E-mail support || Asking Questions The Smart Way (and use the template)
jmryanuk

Problem

Post by jmryanuk »

Thats the problem - I have lots of mods in place on my current phpbb - I am not interested in keeping them - I am no expert but I think this would corrupt all my mods and I would end up with many problems.

Any ideas?
blueadmin

Post by blueadmin »

if you can use it, use the patch file, if you can't use that use the changed files only.
Ho Ho Ho merry christmas
You Stuck? Read this before askinghere and here
The Pelican
Location: Home is where the heart is (which happens to be in the Netherlands)

Post by The Pelican »

Most MOD's that have something to do with your database are suplyed with a de-mod-script. Try getting all your previous mod's and check them for these file's.

If your forum has no MOD's which have anything changed in the database, you can just replace the old files with the new files.

... but make sure you made a back-up (and checked if for having worked).
The Pelican :)
Knowledge Base || No PM support and no MSN or E-mail support || Asking Questions The Smart Way (and use the template)
Trip59

possibly simpler than uninstalling mods,

Post by Trip59 »

since you are going to be replacing all of the files themselves anyhow, go in through a database admin utility and delete any table or field that the mods created. BE SURE TO BACK UP FIRST.

if you delete the extra tables or fields, then install the new files, you can either use the same config.php you have now, or back up the database after you delete the stuff and restore it (I just did mine this way)
jmryanuk

Post by jmryanuk »

Thanks for all your ideas.

I decided to have a look at using the patch files, but when I use the command "patch -cl -d [PHPBB DIRECTORY] -p1 < [PATCH NAME]" and replacing the directory and patch name with my own - I get the error message "no such file or directory" do you know why I would get this?

I am sure they are all present and correct, I am new to everything esp using SSH/Telnet etc...

-------------
James

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”