Moderator for usergroup required?

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
AsciiSector

Moderator for usergroup required?

Post by AsciiSector » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:50 pm

I've set up a usergroup on my forum, where members can join in order to receive an email whenever there are important updates (I can then just do a mass email to all members of that group). I'd like for members to just be able to join without me having to approve their application for the group. Can I just choose not to have a moderator for that group and members then won't have to be approved, or must a group have a moderator?

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Moderator for usergroup required?

Post by Brf » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:13 pm

In phpBB2, groups always have a moderator.
If you set the group as a Open group, the users can join without approval.

AsciiSector

Post by AsciiSector » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:45 am

The group is set as an open group, but I still get emails with links to the group for me to approve of members joining the group.

ChrisRLG
Former Team Member

Post by ChrisRLG » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:04 pm

The open group to join without approaval is a phpBB3 added function.

The open group in v2 is open to request to join, with the usergroup moderator to confirm.

One good reason (if the lack of support after December is not enough) to upgrade to the v3 version.
phpBB: The All Important Rules - Bertie Bear 3.0 - No support via PM system - use the forums please.
phpBB v2: Retirement (1/1/2009) : phpBB v3: Read Me Topic - Custom BBCodes - Support Template
Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and a door will be opened to you."
My Links: MS MVP (Consumer Security) - Malware Removal:University - Own Forum: Custom BBCode testing

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:08 pm

ChrisRLG wrote:The open group in v2 is open to request to join, with the usergroup moderator to confirm.

Ah-ha!
I had forgotten that. I do not have any Open groups on my phpbb2, so I never had that problem.

AsciiSector

Post by AsciiSector » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:08 pm

Ah, okay. Then it all makes sense. :)

I've found a mod that will do what I want (http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/1466), so I'm sticking with phpBB2 for now...

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”