Converting 2.0.22 to 3.0.2

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Visorox

Converting 2.0.22 to 3.0.2

Post by Visorox »

Basically im sorting out a mates forum that hasn't been looked after in a long time.

Went through the standard installation procedures as in the documentation. Installed 3.0.2, ran through the conversion routine.

Got to step 16/27 then it started spitting out this error. I've tried googling about to see what it is with no luck.

My setup is using the latest versions of php, mysql and apache.

We had problems doing it online because of server restrictions so im running this all locally with the intention of uploading the database once it's been migrated.

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Posted the error message on pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/m3eca56e
Last edited by Visorox on Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Converting 2.0.22 to 3.0.2

Post by KevC »

MySQL server has gone away
The server is timing out.

You can try continuing the conversion. If you go back to the install page you should get the option to carry on. The skip_rows number indicates the number of topics it's converted so you can compare that to the total on the index and see how far it's got left to go.

Alternatively you can convert offline.

Knowledge Base - Offline Conversions

*Moving to the 3x conversion forum
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
Visorox

Post by Visorox »

Thanks for the quick Reply Kevin.

I am working on this offline. Have not used the one click installations that you have mentioned but instead went through and installed everything myself on my local windows PC. Ive included all the necessary extensions, etc.

I exported the data from my online server as an sql file and loaded this into my local mysql server using the command line.

Ive gone through the tables and checked that they are all populated.

I then installed phpbb3 locally, then ran the conversion. Its when it gets halfway through it crashes out.

I've went back and clicked continue conversion several times to try it, but each time it brings up the same error.

Is there any way of upping the time out limit on mysql, php or whatever it is that's timing out?

Bearing in mind the database file as a .sql was about 600 meg.
Visorox

Post by Visorox »

Right ive tried the following

Updated the php.ini file to

mysql.connect_timeout = -1

So mysql connects never time out, updated the GLOBAL connect_timeout to 1000 in the mysql command line.

Also upped the max execution time of PHP and the memory limit in php.ini.

None of which seems to resolve this.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

You can try this from the install docs
http 500 / white pages The conversion is a load-heavy procedure. Restrictions imposed by some server hosting providers can cause problems. The most common causes are: too low values for the php settings memory_limit and max_execution_time. Limits on the allowed CPU time are also a frequent cause for such errors, as are caps on the number of database queries allowed.
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
Visorox

Post by Visorox »

Still doesnt seem to be working...

Here are the new variables im using, i've added the default to the end of the comment. As you can see ive upped it a rediculous ammount. Is there nothing else that could be causing this problem?

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
; Resource Limits ;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

max_execution_time = 1000 ; Maximum execution time of each script, in seconds (30 sec)
max_input_time = 1000 ; Maximum amount of time each script may spend parsing request data 60
;max_input_nesting_level = 64 ; Maximum input variable nesting level
memory_limit = 1536M ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume (128MB)
Visorox

Post by Visorox »

Im thinking there's maybes a way of editing the convert file to start from the row it failed at. from the looks of things it just continues from the step it failed at, then re-runs through all those rows.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Might have to wait for Dicky to come online. He's the expert on that stuff.
D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Post by D¡cky »

It could be because you have some very large posts.

This may help, Packet too large. There is also MySQL server has gone away
Have you hugged someone today?
Visorox

Post by Visorox »

Think we may be on for a winner with that one Dicky, nice one mate. It's got past the page that it kept stopping on but i've restarted the conversion without refreshing so it's a pain clicking through it now! lol

Return to “[3.0.x] Convertors”