Why would you remove the Powered by phpBB text?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
stud

Re: Why would you remove the Powered by phpBB text?

Post by stud »

i would rather show some respect to the people who created it! :D
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

As for the (specious) argument that the copyright enables hackers to find phpbb boards, the solution (to a problem that doesn't exist) is simple - make the copyright language a linked image.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

stevemaury wrote:As for the (specious) argument that the copyright enables hackers to find phpbb boards, the solution (to a problem that doesn't exist) is simple - make the copyright language a linked image.
Really not going to help, phpBB can be easily found by searching for things like viewtopic.php and various other standard strings/files.
Chris SmithGitHub
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

Yes, I know. That's why I said it is a problem that doesn't exist. But if people use that as their excuse to not display it (and many do) then the response to them is to make it an image.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Zagham

Post by Zagham »

phpBB is working hard,
i think we should give them credit
placing a link at the bottom of page is not a bad idea
:cry:
Niklas.SB

Post by Niklas.SB »

I never would remove the phpBB copyright.
phpBB is the best open source software ever.

LG,
Niklas
ViciousDuck

Post by ViciousDuck »

I don't understand how the fact that support isn't being offered for your version of phpbb is a valid excuse for removing the text. Just because they aren't going to help you answer questions that have been answered 1000 times before doesn't suddenly mean that you created and own the software. Phpbb still made it, and deserver credit...I personally would never remove the text. I proudly advertise that I use phpbb. If I didn't it would be wrong, and it would put up a bad front as a webmaster, since other people would recognize the software I was using and know I wasn't giving credit.
moltendorf

Post by moltendorf »

I've personally never removed the copyright, I figured out that several spambots find you through search engines, and as such, removing that at the bottom will 'hide' your forum from search engines... Kind of...

I wanted to with phpbb 2 and "claim" it was my own, but that urge I quickly discarded when I told myself "hey, I'll really make my own, or join the phpbb team (I can't get away with my own conscience)." I couldn't get phpbb 2 to work anyways. (Check out my locked topic from years ago about how I couldn't get a unsupported, modded version of it to run on a PHP 5 server, and wanted support from here) :D // I'm excellent with PHP 5+

So until I really make my own (that is if I want to, or continue to love phpbb), I'm using phpbb, and proudly showcasing it. :D

The best way for protecting myself from spambots was to hide my entire forum from search engines using a robots.txt files, it worked so well I was even able to remove the CAPTCHA. I do understand that this does hide new visitors from finding my site through anything but referral. It is inevitable they will find me though when my project goes public. (I know, that paragraph was off topic, I'm good at that as of late) :P
Did I ever mention that I think phpBB is awesome? I thought I did, but I'm not so sure, so I'll say it again: phpBB is awesome!
pantry \ snack :: is_good ( ) ? pantry \ snack :: hastily_consume ( ) : pantry \ snack :: reject ( );

Need some help? I have a solid understanding several programming and markup languages.
Projects: QuickChat: A Shoutbox, Live Post, ORANGEstyle
kilofox

Post by kilofox »

Just like the author said,many people like to remove the Copyright Information of a forum in China.
In China,the most popular php forums are Discuz! and PHPWind.
I think it's no matter to remove the "PHPBB" text. Do it if you like.
stickerboy
Former Team Member
Name: Kenny Cameron

Post by stickerboy »

kilofox wrote:Just like the author said,many people like to remove the Copyright Information of a forum in China.
In China,the most popular php forums are Discuz! and PHPWind.
I think it's no matter to remove the "PHPBB" text. Do it if you like.
have you actually read this topic :roll:
I'm a web-designing code-decrypting tech-support musician
|| Twitter || Flickr || phpBB Snippets ||
Formerly known as cherokee red
the.ronin

Post by the.ronin »

I've removed the credits but created a credits page - a technical specification bibliography if you will. I'm all for giving credit where credit is worth but I would like to do so for all the mods and not just the main forum script.

I do hope this does not preclude phpBB or any mod author from providing support.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

the.ronin wrote: I do hope this does not preclude phpBB or any mod author from providing support.
It does.
the.ronin

Post by the.ronin »

stevemaury wrote:
the.ronin wrote: I do hope this does not preclude phpBB or any mod author from providing support.
It does.
No more condescending, terse replies which don't really answer my questions then?

Oh no.
stickerboy
Former Team Member
Name: Kenny Cameron

Post by stickerboy »

stevemaury's reply was in no way condescending. You asked a question and got an answer.
The same answer which has been posted countless times in this topic.
For anyone who is still unclear, please see the following 2 rules:

http://www.phpbb.com/rules/#rule4j
http://www.phpbb.com/rules/#rule4k

Removal of the copyright = no support!
With that note, I am closing this topic as the same questions are being asked over and over.
The answer remains the same :)
I'm a web-designing code-decrypting tech-support musician
|| Twitter || Flickr || phpBB Snippets ||
Formerly known as cherokee red

Return to “phpBB Discussion”