Jurassic Park, is it possible?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Re: Jurassic Park, is it possible?

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

EXReaction wrote:That is not an argument against science. If people thought like that you would never have a computer or any of the modern amenities.
Science is not a theme park. We're talking about a theme park, not necessarily the idea of reviving an extinct species. I do, however, agree with SamG.
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish
EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction »

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:
EXReaction wrote:That is not an argument against science. If people thought like that you would never have a computer or any of the modern amenities.
Science is not a theme park. We're talking about a theme park, not necessarily the idea of reviving an extinct species. I do, however, agree with SamG.
Theme park, no (although if it becomes possible someone will do it), but I could see something more like a zoo with a few select species. Nothing at all like they had in the movie.

I was just talking about the possibility, not if one should be made, as was the main question. ;)
andr74

Post by andr74 »

I think, it's impossible to create Jurassic Park. Because we must have a DNA, but all dinosaurs remains are stones now. I think, we may found only mammoth in the ice.
weatherkid

Post by weatherkid »

weatherkid wrote:I personally don't believe that evolution is accurate,
What is your foundation for this?

How about I start by asking you a question about evolution? You think we came from a rock. You think there was some unkown explosion billions and billions of years ago that created all life. Here's some contridictions for that.

1. The Law of Biogenesis, Life can only come from life. (Not some explosion)

2. The second law of thermodyanamics. Everything tends towards total destruction

2. The moon has been getting steadly farther and farther away every year, if it has been there even for just a few million years, how come it's only 240,000 miles away??

3. If all the planets were thrown out from this explosion called the Big Bang they would all be spinning the same way, right? Well as it happens Venus and Neptune are spinning a differant direction than all the other planets.

Think about all the assumptions Evolutionists make before believing them. And finally remember the Evolutionists motto: Nothing Exploded And Here We All Are! :lol:
Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil »

Evolution does not state that we came from a rock. It states that the first cells were created by a chemical reaction and that afterwards we evolved from them. This is more than possible and has been done in a laboratory in the past.
weatherkid wrote:1. The Law of Biogenesis, Life can only come from life. (Not some explosion)
It does state that, yes. Did your parents give birth to you?
weatherkid wrote:2. The second law of thermodyanamics. Everything tends towards total destruction
The second law of thermodynamics involves only entropy in closed systems. That being said, it has no guarantees over the speed of which entropy will arise -- in some conditions perhaps very quickly, others very slowly. We would be the latter condition.
weatherkid wrote:2. The moon has been getting steadly farther and farther away every year, if it has been there even for just a few million years, how come it's only 240,000 miles away??
Carbon dating has proven that the moon is about 30-50 million years younger than the rest of the Solar System and probably formed from a large collision with the Earth. Let's keep in mind that things have not always been in this state -- hence it has no always been moving away from us. Besides, do you have any idea how fast the Moon moves away from us? Answer: a nearly immeasurable amount per year. Additionally, keep in mind that the farther away from us the Moon gets, the faster it will move away from us.

Also, how do you intend to explain away things like the fossil record? Vestigal organs? Homozygous traits?
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

Evolution does not attempt to explain how life got here. If you want you can say that some god planted the first life or some alien or whatever. Evolution is a Scientific Theory that explains how life has changed and evolved.

"In biology, evolution is change in the inherited traits of a population of organisms from one generation to the next. These changes are caused by a combination of three main processes: variation, reproduction, and selection."

Through genetic mutations (radiation, chemicals, viruses, etc), certain things get altered in the DNA of animals and if the trait survives through reproduction it can spread throughout the species or even split off to form a new one.

Evolution is like Yahtzee, except that you can keep rolling the dice, and once in a while other players will force you to start over with some or all of the dice you already have (extinctions, climate changes, etc).
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

EXreaction wrote:Evolution does not attempt to explain how life got here. If you want you can say that some god planted the first life or some alien or whatever. Evolution is a Scientific Theory that explains how life has changed and evolved.

"In biology, evolution is change in the inherited traits of a population of organisms from one generation to the next. These changes are caused by a combination of three main processes: variation, reproduction, and selection."

Through genetic mutations (radiation, chemicals, viruses, etc), certain things get altered in the DNA of animals and if the trait survives through reproduction it can spread throughout the species or even split off to form a new one.

Evolution is like Yahtzee, except that you can keep rolling the dice, and once in a while other players will force you to start over with some or all of the dice you already have (extinctions, climate changes, etc).
Indeedy. Things evolve. That's evident. The point that I think is attempted to be made is that those who believe in the Big Bang (the explosion) believe that evolution explains how the single-celled organism turned in to the most complex creatures on the planet. Then those who believe in Creation believe that God created all the creatures, and that evolution explains how some species no longer have a tail or have developed characteristics to fit in to their ever-changing environment. Either way, evolution doesn't explain how life started, but rather how life has changed.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN
andr74

Post by andr74 »

I think it's very dangerous and senselessly to resuscitate the died branches of evolution. One reason is - money.
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

Some of the world's leading paleontologists are attempting to recreate a dinosaur -- or something a lot like a dinosaur -- by starting with a chicken embryo and working backward to engineer a "chickenosaurus" or "dinochicken," project leader Jack Horner told Discovery News.

Such "reverse evolution" has been successfully performed in mice and flies, but those studies focused on re-introducing just a few bygone traits. The dinochicken project instead has the goal of bringing back multiple dinosaur characteristics, such as a tail, teeth and forearms, by changing the levels of regulatory proteins that have evolved to suppress these characteristics in birds.

"Birds are dinosaurs, so technically we're making a dinosaur out of a dinosaur," said Horner, a professor of paleontology at Montana State University and curator of paleontology at the Museum of the Rockies.

"The only reason we're using chickens, instead of some other bird, is that the chicken genome has been mapped, and chickens have already been exhaustively studied," added Horner.
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2009/03/0 ... icken.html
andr74

Post by andr74 »

I think, it's not possible now. But in the future it will be created. We should make some genetic and archaeological discoveries.
Atkascha

Post by Atkascha »

marie_1988 wrote:What do you guys think? If we are able to successfully gather complete DNA from prehistoric creatures do you think eventually we will be able to clone them?

I think it would be pretty awesome. It would probably be best to keep dinosaurs in a zoo or Jurassic Park type park setting but I think it would be pretty awesome.

Now I'd recommend anybody building such a park watch the movie and make sure they don't make the same mistakes or leave the same loopholes but it would be pretty awesome if something along the lines of a real live Jurassic Park could be scientifically engineered in the future.

What do you think? Do you think it's possible?
Theres a possibility we may be able to clone them, noone is sure of this yet.
soxie
Former Team Member
Name: Brian

Post by soxie »

Screw the dinosaurs, I want a Saber-tooth Tiger or an Elephant Bird!
weatherkid wrote:You think there was some unkown explosion billions and billions of years ago that created all life.

This has nothing to do with evolution. You might want to brush up on what evolution is before trying to debate it. Here's a hint: it has nothing to do with physics and how the universe came to be. It doesn't even try to do that. What it does try to do is solve how all life currently on Earth came to be via ancestors.

Looks like others already took you to task for that, though :)
// brian
god0fgod

Post by god0fgod »

Why the hell would we want to grow dinosaurs?
Desdenova

Post by Desdenova »

For SCIENCE!

And maybe to satisfy the life-long dreams of a few ego-centric people.
god0fgod

Post by god0fgod »

We should be focusing on human genetics. Human lives are much more important than making dinosaur zoos.

Return to “General Discussion”