[2.0.6] RSS Content Syndicator

The cleanup is complete. This forum is now read only.

Rating:

Excellent!
64%
Very Good
22%
Good
7%
Fair
3%
Poor
4%

Total votes: 185

techiem2

Post by techiem2 »

Ok. Maybe I missed something simple, but I can't get the script to work.
I copied the rss.php to the phpbb directory and the template file to the specified location.
When I load the script in a browser
( https://techiem2.no-ip.com/phpbb/rss.php ), I get the following error:

Template->make_filename(): Error - file does not exist

Any suggestions?
Thanks.
techiem2

Post by techiem2 »

/me beats head on server for not realizing .tpl file goes in dir of default theme.

:)
techiem2

Post by techiem2 »

ok. Nother issue:
I'ts not pulling from only the public forums.
It's pulling feeds from some private ones as well.
I.E. the Admins and Mods forum that only admins and mods can access.
And another forum that only members in a certain group can access.
Do I just have something wrong with the forum perms maybe?
techiem2

Post by techiem2 »

ok. Answered my own question again.
The forum has to be HIDDEN and PRIVATE for the feeder to not read it.
Interesting.
hartlijn

Post by hartlijn »

nschindler wrote: Are you saying you have an aggregator that allows for authentication? What's it called?

in feedreader you can give a user/pass, but I have no clue what they are for.

www.feedreader.com
rabidgopher04

Post by rabidgopher04 »

Ok, this is my third edit of this post. I finally figured out how to use this RSS thing on my site and it is awesome! Thanks to the MOD creator and CaRP I can now have a better output of my latest topics than what Topics Anywhere would allow.

Thanks! :)
kwnah

Post by kwnah »

rabidgopher04 wrote: Ok, this is my third edit of this post. I finally figured out how to use this RSS thing on my site and it is awesome! Thanks to the MOD creator and CaRP I can now have a better output of my latest topics than what Topics Anywhere would allow.

can share how you did it ...me first time touching RSS.
nschindler

Post by nschindler »

techiem2 wrote: ok. Answered my own question again.
The forum has to be HIDDEN and PRIVATE for the feeder to not read it.
Interesting.

That may be something I need to look into, but the way it is now, it should only list forums where anonymous read access is allowed. That was my intention anyway.
I noticed a couple of small bugs I need to iron out, anyway. When I have time to look into those, I'll play around with forum permissions and see what it lets me get away with. :)
nschindler

Post by nschindler »

rabidgopher04 wrote: Ok, this is my third edit of this post. I finally figured out how to use this RSS thing on my site and it is awesome! Thanks to the MOD creator and CaRP I can now have a better output of my latest topics than what Topics Anywhere would allow.

You're very welcome.

I hope that's not to say that Topics Anywhere is anything less than bad-a$$. It's not RSS, but what it does, it does quite well. :) I played with Topics Anywhere before I worked on this mod. I liked Topics Anywhere a lot, and saw a lot of uses for it, but it wasn't exactly what I needed at the time.
tonymccallie

Post by tonymccallie »

I am having trouble getting this to work. I'm sorry to cause any trouble. I'm running php-nuke 6.9 with phpBB 2.0.6 embedded. I placed the rss.php file at the root of the web and rss_body.tpl in /modules/Forums/templates/.
I adjusted rss.php line 46 from:
$phpbb_root_path = './';

to:
$phpbb_root_path = './modules/Forums/';

It seems to find everything ok, but I am now getting this error:
Fatal error: Cannot instantiate non-existent class: sql_db in /hsphere/local/home/tonymcca/christianpipesmokers.org/db/db.php on line 86

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Many blessings, Tony
nschindler

Post by nschindler »

tonymccallie wrote: I am having trouble getting this to work. I'm sorry to cause any trouble. I'm running php-nuke 6.9 with phpBB 2.0.6 embedded. I placed the rss.php file at the root of the web and rss_body.tpl in /modules/Forums/templates/.
I adjusted rss.php line 46 from:
$phpbb_root_path = './';

to:
$phpbb_root_path = './modules/Forums/';

It seems to find everything ok, but I am now getting this error:
Fatal error: Cannot instantiate non-existent class: sql_db in /hsphere/local/home/tonymcca/christianpipesmokers.org/db/db.php on line 86

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Many blessings, Tony

First, I would put rss.php in your phpBB root path. If your phpBB root path is "./modules/Forums/", then that's where rss.php should go, and $phpbb_root_path should be left alone.

I know very little about phpNuke, or what they may have changed in their phpBB add-in. More or less, you're on your own if you're using a version of phpBB from someplace other than phpBB.com.
But judging by what you've said, I'd assume there's something wrong with your config. Is "/hsphere/local/home/tonymcca/christianpipesmokers.org/db/db.php" a valid path at your server? I can see how this would confuse things, if you actually entered this somewhere in your configuration. Most web applications, like php, want to know where they are relative to the WEB root. I think it should be looking for "/db/db.php".

What I'm saying is, it looks like you may have entered an absolute pathname somewhere in your config, instead of a relative pathname from the web root.

In the end, I would say you should put rss.php in /modules/Forums/ and leave $phpbb_root_path alone. Hopefully there exists a "db" directory in "/modules/Forums"... otherwise, this would take more knowledge of phpNuke.
rabidgopher04

Post by rabidgopher04 »

kwnah wrote:
rabidgopher04 wrote:Ok, this is my third edit of this post. I finally figured out how to use this RSS thing on my site and it is awesome! Thanks to the MOD creator and CaRP I can now have a better output of my latest topics than what Topics Anywhere would allow.

Yeah, it's pretty easy once you get it ;)

Just upload the MOD files to their appropriate spot and then get CaRP at http://www.mouken.com/rss/

The directions for using CaRP are pretty straightforward and you should be able to figure it out.

What I like about this MOD is that you have more control over layout and style than Topics Anywhere. I just have to edit the template to my liking and wah-lah....I have the perfect layout! :)
kwnah

Post by kwnah »

rabidgopher04 wrote:
kwnah wrote:
rabidgopher04 wrote:Ok, this is my third edit of this post. I finally figured out how to use this RSS thing on my site and it is awesome! Thanks to the MOD creator and CaRP I can now have a better output of my latest topics than what Topics Anywhere would allow.

Yeah, it's pretty easy once you get it ;)

Just upload the MOD files to their appropriate spot and then get CaRP at http://www.mouken.com/rss/

The directions for using CaRP are pretty straightforward and you should be able to figure it out.

What I like about this MOD is that you have more control over layout and style than Topics Anywhere. I just have to edit the template to my liking and wah-lah....I have the perfect layout! :)

are you using the CaRP Free version, CaRP Koi or CaRP Evolution ?
nschindler

Post by nschindler »

kwnah wrote: are you using the CaRP Free version, CaRP Koi or CaRP Evolution ?

You must live in a Microsoft world... The FREE one, of course!

If you ever find yourself paying for software, then either you're using the wrong software, or you ate paint chips as a child. :)

Speaking of free software, Fedora Core 1 is SWEET! :D
kwnah

Post by kwnah »

nschindler wrote:
kwnah wrote:are you using the CaRP Free version, CaRP Koi or CaRP Evolution ?

You must live in a Microsoft world... The FREE one, of course!

If you ever find yourself paying for software, then either you're using the wrong software, or you ate paint chips as a child. :)

Speaking of free software, Fedora Core 1 is SWEET! :D

Fedora Core 1 is the to replace of RedHat Linux right ?

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Cleanup”