[MODDB] mChat

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Anti-Spam Guide
Oscarzx

Re: [RC3] mChat

Post by Oscarzx »

can anyone help me find this in norwegian??
Jeroen B
Name: Jeroen

Post by Jeroen B »

Oscarzx wrote:can anyone help me find this in norwegian??
This mod is not available in Norwegian ;)
Jeroen • My modifications
AllCity
Name: Andrey Shapoval

Post by AllCity »

mChat compatible with phpBB 3.0.5 ;)
My mods home page.
The-Lord

Post by The-Lord »

Works fine on my 3.0.5 test board. ;)
Anubis_The_Jackal

Post by Anubis_The_Jackal »

AllCity

This mod is great. I have been testing it out, getting it ready on a board that is going to go live, and it works wonderfully. There is only, only one single thing I would like to see.

The ability to set in your profile whether you want the sound on or off, so that if you turn it off it stays off, while leaving it on by default for guests and for others who have not set it. That's the only thing.

Otherwise this mod is absolutely perfect!
PHPBB since 03
Jackuul Empire-MSRP V
muggins
Name: Donovan

Post by muggins »

Oh, yes indeed! I've found that the setting changes back to 'sound on' whether I check the box or not.

Otherwise, much better than the other shout mods I've tried!
Muggins
farazhamzaa

Post by farazhamzaa »

Is it possible to BAn this chat rooom for a single USer
owentuz

Post by owentuz »

Massive essay post! I recently created a group of special accounts which I didn't want to be able to use the chatbox, so I can tell you how to do this but it's not built into mchat that I know of.

First, create a "Banned from chatbox" group and make it the default group for that user (this bit's important), then do some code edits as described here.

Default group ids are:
1 - Guests
2 - Registered users
3 - COPPA registered users
4 - Mods
5 - Admins
6 - Bots

Custom groups start at id 7 and count up from there. You can check the phpbb_groups table in your database if you're not sure, though.

I found the <IF S_GROUP_ID> statement only worked for positive statements, so to ban your user group from seeing it:

Open /styles/[your style]/templates/index_body.html
Find:

Code: Select all

<!-- INCLUDE mchat.php -->
Replace with:

<!-- IF S_GROUP_ID <= 5 --><!-- INCLUDE mchat.php --><!-- ENDIF -->
Open /styles/[your style]/templates/overall_header.html
Find:

<li class="icon-bump"><a href="{ROOT_PATH}mchat.php" title="mChat">mChat</a></li>
Replace with:

<!-- IF S_GROUP_ID <= 5 --><li class="icon-bump"><a href="{ROOT_PATH}mchat.php" title="mChat">mChat</a></li><!-- ENDIF -->
Because the user's default group is > 5, they won't register as being included in that, and neither the chatbox nor the link to the standalone page won't show for them.

One last thing to do, though. Because the chat works as a standalone page, an enterprising user can get to it by opening ./mchat.php. Either disable this capability by editing mchat.php (there's an option, I think), or:

Disable it for your newly made "banned" group by opening "/styles/[your style]/templates/mchat_body.html" and adding

<!-- If S_GROUP_ID = [Your group id here, probably "7"] -->
at the start, and the code

<!-- ELSE -->You shouldn't be here. Nice try, though.<!-- ENDIF -->
at the end.

This will show the message "You shouldn't be here. Nice try, though." to any banned user who tries to sneak into the chatbox.

...well, wasn't that nice of me :?
forumntn

Post by forumntn »

I have finished this mod down to the DIY instructions. I have edited the files and uploaded them.
I'm new to mods and confused to these instructions...install database, secret codes...
1. Start the installation for database (only founder can run the mode): ./mchat.php?mode=install&code=7g4sgO62AN6MVMa (what's this all mean?)
2. Go to Administration Control Panel (ACP) then purge the cache. (can do)
3. Open file mchat.php and replace the secret code on your! (secret code?? where do I get that?)
Now you can use the mChat, good luck.
Any settings can be changed in mchat.php file, to remove a mini-chat from the database need to run the mode (only founder can run the mode): ./mchat.php?mode=uninstall&code=YOUSECRETCODE

Thanks!
My forum is down and need help!

I have this error on the homepage:
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Table 'user_phpb1.phpbb_mchat' doesn't exist [1146]

SQL

SELECT * FROM phpbb_mchat ORDER BY message_id DESC LIMIT 10

BACKTRACE

FILE: includes/db/mysql.php
LINE: 174
CALL: dbal->sql_error()

FILE: includes/db/mysql.php
LINE: 221
CALL: dbal_mysql->sql_query()

FILE: includes/db/dbal.php
LINE: 170
CALL: dbal_mysql->_sql_query_limit()

FILE: mchat.php
LINE: 532
CALL: dbal->sql_query_limit()

FILE: index.php
LINE: 131
CALL: include('mchat.php')

I know I need to install an SQL database into my host cp, but I don't know where to get that db..from
1. Start the installation for database (only founder can run the mode): ./mchat.php?mode=install&code=7g4sgO62AN6MVMa (what's this all mean?)
owentuz

Post by owentuz »

In your browser, go to [your board address]/mchat.php?mode=install&code=7g4sgO62AN6MVMa to add the information to your database.

The 'secret code' is the string of numbers after "&code=" - you can change it by editing mchat.php. All it does is make sure you're the only person who can run the database install/uninstall script.

Hope that helps! (Seriously, what am I doing answering all these questions?)
forumntn

Post by forumntn »

My forum is totally crashed now.
I couldn't open my page due to that error, I tried goin to that address and all I got was a dead page there. I could see the mchat.php in ftp in the root dir.

I give up.
I just started deleting any file associated with mchat and Now I get THIS error below.
Any idea how to just remedy this and get back to my forum without this "EASY" mod?
I didn't do a backup immediately before trying to install this mod.
"Currently we are on php 5.2.9 some scripts dont like the upgrade" is what my Host said in a chat while she tried to help me.I'm so disappointed. :cry:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /index.php on line 131: include(./mchat.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /index.php on line 131: include(./mchat.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /index.php on line 131: include() [function.include]: Failed opening './mchat.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php')
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3761: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Return to the index page
General Error
template->_tpl_load_file(): File ./styles/montains2/template/mchat_body.html does not exist or is empty

Please notify the board administrator or webmaster:
jimcarrel

Post by jimcarrel »

forumntn ,

apparently you did not undo all the edits that you performed, that is what the error is telling you.
it is still looking for mchat.php and the mchat.html.
You need to look back and remove all edits that you said you made down to the DIY instructions.

You should not have uploaded those edited files untill you understood the DIY instructions.

I suggest, (politely) next mod you wish to install, read the install directions and make sure you understand what is required to do before you do edits and upload them.
Edited files that make calls to databases you don't know how to build will always cause errors.

You will be able to fix your problem.
Grace--Getting what I don't deserve
Mercy--Not getting what I do deserve
forumntn

Post by forumntn »

jimcarrel wrote:forumntn ,

You should not have uploaded those edited files untill you understood the DIY instructions.

I suggest, (politely) next mod you wish to install, read the install directions and make sure you understand what is required to do before you do edits and upload them.
Edited files that make calls to databases you don't know how to build will always cause errors.

You will be able to fix your problem.
Fair enough...I agree! I appreciate your help very much and done nicely. I had thought that I had not undone those edits. So, I think I could get the forum back.But..
I've decided to not give up tho, as too many other people have gotten this to work.
I've replaced those files.
Now..I just have to learn how to build that database....
On edit:
I replaced those files, put that addy in and believe it or not it said "database successfully installed"...I have no idea why, same files back in the same places...

I'm still not sure about this "secret key" thing, I just changed one letter of it and saved it. And, then purged the cache and it seems to be ok. But, I've never seen it work, so I don't completely know what's normal
forumntn

Post by forumntn »

After I get the message that the database has successfully been installed, it takes me back to the forum.com/index.php and all appears pretty normal.
But when I go to the forumname.com, it's totally blank.
Any ideas?
I know I'm asking a lot of questions but I don't know where else to go.
Thank you..
jimcarrel

Post by jimcarrel »

I do not completly understand "when I go to forumname.com" .
the phpBB3 forum only works from "/index.php".

Is this "formname.com" the only thing on your website? Or do you also have regular html pages. (which would run from index.html)

The "secret thing" is just a password ( to install the database )that is already supplied and you can change it if you wish, so that no one else can run your installer. I mean anyone who get the mod downloaded and reads the instructions, can figure out how to uninstall your mchat database.
That is one reason it is called a Secret. (but you have to change in for it to really be a secret.)
Grace--Getting what I don't deserve
Mercy--Not getting what I do deserve

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”