[BETA] Dead Man's Switch

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Scam Warning
MydnyteSyn

Re: [BETA] Dead Man's Switch

Post by MydnyteSyn »

Very nice! I'm waiting for the official release but have bookmarked this so I can keep myself updated on it :)
Muad''Dib

Post by Muad''Dib »

This appears to be an excellent idea.

I have one concearn so far. Quickly browsing the code, it appears that the forum has to be online for the switch to be activated. What if the owner logs in a few days before there hosting payment is due. They get hit by a bus the next day, and there payment is due a few days later. They dont pay and the host shuts them down. There would be no way for the code to be executed so that the proper person or people would be notified on what to do...

Make since?

The flip side to that is that i currently dont have any ideas on how to overcome that obstacle.
MartectX

Post by MartectX »

Well, if there's no forum code to be executed, how could a MOD help there anymore...?
Muad''Dib

Post by Muad''Dib »

MartectX wrote:Well, if there's no forum code to be executed, how could a MOD help there anymore...?

It wouldnt ... i was just thinking out loud ;)
IPB_Refugee
Name: Wolfgang Weber

Post by IPB_Refugee »

What if the owner logs in a few days before there hosting payment is due. They get hit by a bus the next day, and there payment is due a few days later.
You could pay for your server/hosting in advance, or be sure, that you always have some money on your account (if your provider has this option), or use Paypal and put some money on that account.

Regards
Wolfgang
Muad''Dib

Post by Muad''Dib »

There is always a scenario where your tight on money and make the payment on the day its due.. or even a few days late.

But there is really no way a mod could do what im thinking... it would have to be done as a ping or something from another live account... but then your running into another whole array of issues. Either that or just have the information on the hosting account and how to pay available to the trusted members the dead mans email would go to.

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”