Update to 3.0.5 from 3.0.4 - email function not working

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
quahappy
Former Team Member
Name: Andy Green

Update to 3.0.5 from 3.0.4 - email function not working

Post by quahappy »

I've searched numerous forums and I'm aware that the issue of emails not being sent was a bug within 3.0.4 although originally I never had this problem before, until now....

On checking ACP > Users and Groups > Users : Manage users > Myself > Preferences. The Notification method: is now set to Both and I'm 100% sure it was originally set to just: E-mail only !

To verify, I have sent numerous emails via mass email and via Profiles and nothing is coming through to my email client nor another administrator.

I do have the HTML Mass email MOD installed which makes some code changes to the file: includes/functions_messenger.php - could this be the reason why emails are not being sent?

Also, I see no way within ACP to "switch" the Profile preferences setting from "Both" to "E-mail only". I presume that the following SQL query is required to do this?

Code: Select all

UPDATE YOURPREFIX_users SET user_notify_type = 0 WHERE user_notify_type <> 0
Then I'm guessing that maybe email function will work again? I did the query at my test site and still nothing. :(

Thanks in advance for responses.

Note: SMTP settings and everything else related to ACP email are still the same as before upgrade to 3.0.5

EDIT: My test site does NOT have the HTML mass email MOD installed and email function isn't working on that site either!
If you don't ask.....
COD3M4ST3R-X

Re: Update to 3.0.5 from 3.0.4 - email function not working

Post by COD3M4ST3R-X »

ACP>>Maintenace>>Error Logs any errors their.
also that query will definately set it back to Email Only.
“Need and struggle are what excite and inspire us.”
quahappy
Former Team Member

Post by quahappy »

No errors in log which isn't helpful at all.

I don't have Jabber enabled. Although I know having this set to "Both" caused problems for some in 3.0.4, but it didn't for me.

It's 7am here - 8 hours later since sending out emails via ACP / Profiles and no one had received any emails at all. Even done the same at my test site and still no emails (this one doesn't have the html mass email mod so it can't be that interferring with it. Emails was functioning properly with 3.0.4.

Am at a loss as need this sorting ASAP for obvious reasons lol.

Which file(s) are responsible for all emails from board?

I've tried turning of SMTP to see if that made a difference - nothing. And I've had SMTP enabled ever since started out with phpBB2 and settings has never changed.
If you don't ask.....
quahappy
Former Team Member

Post by quahappy »

Hmmm..... REALLY not sure what to make of this as email function is now working...

I rechecked all SMTP settings and these were fine. But I also did something else in ACP > General: Purged all cache. Now email function is working?!! I've sent mass email (to select few users), email via Profile, etc, etc, and these are all coming through email client I use instantly.

Please don't tell me this is another case of life's little mysteries?! I've spent a couple of hours trying to figure what the problem could be!!
If you don't ask.....
quahappy
Former Team Member

Post by quahappy »

So did performing: ACP > General > Purge all cache cause my email problem to be fixed? Or is it just pure coincidence?! I don't like it when I can't put my finger on the cause! :?
If you don't ask.....
PrinceWords

Post by PrinceWords »

Well man, I just wish that the same miracle happened with you happen to me! and I won't ask for a reason! :mrgreen: :D
I have a question please...do you have any languages installed except English? cause I think it may be the problem for me.... :roll:
If You Still have The power to smile..You have everything... :)
quahappy
Former Team Member

Post by quahappy »

English is the only language I have installed.
If you don't ask.....
COD3M4ST3R-X

Post by COD3M4ST3R-X »

quahappy wrote:English is the only language I have installed.
languages have nothing to do with emails.
It seems after updating you did not cleared your cache,when you cleared the cache changes were added to the new cache files
“Need and struggle are what excite and inspire us.”
quahappy
Former Team Member

Post by quahappy »

COD3M4ST3R-X wrote:
quahappy wrote:English is the only language I have installed.
languages have nothing to do with emails.
I know. I was answering PrinceWords question (forgot to quote it!). ;)
COD3M4ST3R-X wrote:It seems after updating you did not cleared your cache,when you cleared the cache changes were added to the new cache files
That's the thing y'see. I realise that now except I can't find any mention of requiring to do this (clearing cache, etc) in the Automatic Update package docs. Unless I've missed it...

Just pleased it's all sorted now. :D
If you don't ask.....

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”