[MODDB] Smartfeed for phpBB 3

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Ideas Centre
MarkDHamill

Re: [RC10] Smartfeed for phpBB 3

Post by MarkDHamill »

This code was introduced in 2.2.9 in smartfeed.php at the insistence of the phpBB Mod Team. It starts around line 622:

Code: Select all

if (file_exists($phpbb_root_path . 'includes/auth/auth_' . $method . '.' . $phpEx))
	{
		include ($phpbb_root_path . 'includes/auth/auth_' . $method . '.' . $phpEx);
	}
I would comment out all but the include statement and see if it goes away.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. Kindle and paper versions available.
Fisch.666

Post by Fisch.666 »

Hi!

Ok, problem is fixed after changing:

if (file_exists($phpbb_root_path . 'includes/auth/auth_' . $method . '.' . $phpEx))
       {
          include ($phpbb_root_path . 'includes/auth/auth_' . $method . '.' . $phpEx);
       }
into

include_once($phpbb_root_path . 'includes/auth/auth_' . $method . '.' . $phpEx);
in the smartfeed.php :D
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback. The phpBB Mod Team can get anal about certain things and this was one of those situation where I think it was overkill. Maybe I can get a waiver, since smartfeed.php is basically a stand alone application.

Anyhow, I appreciate the workaround. It will go into the next release.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. Kindle and paper versions available.
IPB_Refugee
Name: Wolfgang Weber

Post by IPB_Refugee »

MarkDHamill wrote:The phpBB Mod Team can get anal about certain things ...
Oh, a meaning of the word anal I didn't know before! :) Learning English with phpBB.com. :lol:
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Meaning no offense to the Mod team of course. They certainly are interested in high quality.

From dictionary.com:
A popular term for “anal retentive personality,” a personality marked by excessive orderliness, extreme meticulousness, and often suspicion and reserve.
MarkDHamill

Smartfeed Version 2.2.10 Ready for Download

Post by MarkDHamill »

More changes request by the phpBB Mod Team.

* Properly indicated the type of license being used: GNU GPL Version 2.
* This file now shows a file_exists function before including /includes/constants_smartfeed.php.
* Where needed, SELECT SQL changed from ORDER BY 1 to ORDER BY column name ASC.
* In smartfeed_url.php, using $user->data['session_id'] vs. fetching the session from the database.
* In smartfeed_url.php, using $auth->acl_getf instead of fetching $read_id and $list_id from database.
* In smartfeed_url.php, documented the use of template flags like 'T' and 'F'. Unfortunately these are nested so deeply in the templates that using boolean template variables does not work with the phpBB templating system, which is why I am using character compares.
* In smartfeed_url.php, SQL shows <> vs !=.
* In language file, changed text for SMARTFEED_STYLE_COMPACT_EXPLAIN.

Download here
Sr X

Re: [RC11] Smartfeed for phpBB 3

Post by Sr X »

a lot thanks MarkDHamill, i hope that phpBB Mod Team remember of you to phpBB 3.0.6 and her new atom feed feature.
snkhan

Post by snkhan »

Hi Mark, I wondered whether there would be any (code) conflicts with this MOD and the ATOM feed that phpBB have recently announced?
snkhan.co.uk
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

It looks like RSS and Atom support will be integrated into phpBB 3.2. I haven't checked the timing of that version but it will certainly be welcome. I don't know if it will offer all the features of Smartfeed, including authentication. If someone knows pass me the information.
Pardis
Translator

Post by Pardis »

the lastest phpBB release is 3.0.5...I do NOT understand what you mean of 3.2? (3.0.3 or 3.2.0 ?!)
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Atom and RSS feeds are apparently planned for phpBB 3.2 under development.

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1609325

I was looking for more details on the feature set.
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Okay, I finally read the plans for phpBB 3.0.6 and Atom feeds here:

http://www.phpbb.com/blog/2009/06/10/phpbb-306-plans/

Click on the image to see the user interface.

The question is whether this will make Smartfeed obsolete. It is hard to know until I try it out. However, it does not appear to support either RSS or authentication. So I don't think it will make Smartfeed obsolete, however it will make it less necessary for many.

I am hoping phpBB 3.2 includes authentication and RSS and make this mod obsolete. The lack of newsfeed integration has been a gaping hole with phpBB and needs to be handled by more experienced hands than mine.
IPB_Refugee
Name: Wolfgang Weber

Post by IPB_Refugee »

MarkDHamill wrote:I am hoping phpBB 3.2 includes authentication and RSS and make this mod obsolete. The lack of newsfeed integration has been a gaping hole with phpBB and needs to be handled by more experienced hands than mine.
Don't say this, Mark! We all know that you have spent a lot of time and energy in developing this MOD, and you surely did a good job!

And I am not sure if the developers of phpBB will be releasing a better newsfeed integration than you have developed yet (BTW: I see a similar problem regarding the planned quick-reply-feature. Will phpBB's own quick-reply-feature be at least as good as primehalo's great MOD? According to Acyd Burn's description from the blog article I do have my doubts.)

For people who have already installed several or even many MODs, phpBB.com's concept makes life just more difficult. And it is also not very fair to MOD developers like you, IMHO.

Regards
Wolfgang
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Thanks for the complements, Wolfgang. Smartfeed is a lot of fun to write, but I have come to respect the depth of engineering by the development team, so I think it is fair to say if they put their mind to it they would end up with a better product than I could put together. Much of the reason Smartfeed works so well is because I have gotten terrific feedback from users on how to make it more usable.

I doubt 3.2 will have all the features Smartfeed has today, but many of those features are used by a tiny few. I do hope someone on the development team is using Smartfeed as an example, since the desired feature sets are pretty much already there, they just need to be incorporated into a master architecture.
EAM

Post by EAM »

Hi Mark,

I have somewhat successfully upgraded my phpbb 3.0.3 to 3.0.5 and I have the digest and smartfeed mods installed. Smartfeed is giving me a little trouble. I haven't upgraded to 2.2.10 yet so I'm still on 2.2.7. My problem is that now when I go to the index.php before logging, I get 3 errors:

/language/en_us/mods/smartfeed.php on line 195: Undefined variable: smartfeed_time_limit_registered

The next two are identical for the _seconds and _unregistered variables. I have done file compares and checked everywhere I could think and can't find a difference in the files from my saved 3.0.3 install to the 3.0.5 install. Any help would be much appreciated as this is getting to be a head-banger. Thanks Ellie

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”