Feature requests?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
Eelke
Name: Eelke Blok

Re: Feature requests?

Post by Eelke »

Possibly, just possibly, not everyone is completely in the clear on the "new features discussion" policy, have you considered that? :) I think I myself may have been over-enthusiastic at pointing out that rule on one or two occasions :roll: In my defense, the standard reply to feature requests/discussions used to be, there already is a long list of features to implement for 3.2, so please, no more.

iWisdom's explanation seems most sensible; new idea's can be discussed, in order to determine that there indeed is merit in the idea (and whether it is not already planned to implement), and the feature tracker (which has to be maintained by the developers) is kept of relative high quality and we do not waste the developer's time by submitting a torrent of bogus and duplicate feature requests. Whether that discussions takes place at http://www.phpbb.com/community/3.0x discussion or at area51.phpbb.com/new feature discussion.. Don't know about that one and is probably best left to your own judgment.

If, however, it is determined that an idea is a good one, it should be posted to the feature tracker to make it official, and not in the forum, so that the developers do not need to look in two places for suggested features. Hence the "do not post feature requests" rule.
dinar

Post by dinar »

i think then "do not post feature requests" should be written other way. because everybody knows that developers are already not obligated/compulsated(?) to make fastly what users here request and this is default/standart this "do not post feature requests" is often understood as "do not discuss future features here".
(if you write so and mean that feature requests should be posted on other place you should at least give a link to show where to post them then.)

one way: write like "... but you can discuss future features here" or "please do not request features from us only discuss them".
Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil »

I've always understood it as just that -- don't post feature requests. Discussion regarding potential features is a different beast, and something that, has been echoed, is currently allowed.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web
Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life »

dinar,

Please stop over-thinking the issue.
It is really quite clear: If you have an idea for an improvement for phpBB3, then you can post on area51 to discuss it, if nobody replies, obviously, it’s not an interesting idea, and nobody is interested or people do not think it has merit for including into phpBB3.

In general, we do discourage feature requests for phpBB3 because in a most likely situation, it would turn into what the MOD Requests forum currently is: A jam-packed chaotic list of ever-growing requests and demands that are for the most part very sparsely looked at or considered, due to the sheer number and the limited supply of MOD Authors available and *looking* for something to code.

We have a lot of people with a lot of ideas, a lot of conflicting ideas as well. What may set a new feature discussion apart is a well-thought out idea, or maybe even a patch. If you just jump on there and say “the installer needs to be improved” or “it would be great if you guys added x feature”, it is very likely that is going to be disregarded by the teams.

Here is an example of a well thought-out request along with a provided patch: http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29638
And while the development team may not use that code, it may inspire them to write something along those lines, again, anything with merit can be considered. As long as it’s clear that it is for discussion and not requests.
There are more examples on the area51 boards of feature discussions that are indeed NOT feature requests.
Once you understand the difference between a request and discussion, you will have no problems. :)
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.
dinar

Post by dinar »

about that i wrote "some a ..name.." i have thought nothing is too impolite here, "some a" is etimologically is like "someone", because "a[n]" has come from "one". this i said means that it is not posted by "the god" but by a forum member like us so what is on the index page is stronger...because is written by board admin... and currently is a rule for this forum.
Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil »

You're still overthinking it far too much. The meaning of the message has been explained to you, it's useless to argue about the etymology.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

dinar: That pointless drivel got you nowhere and is not even ontopic. As has been said, feature discussion is not the same thing as feature requests. You can have feature discussion without feature requests, so go ahead and make feature discussion but not feature requests.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN
dinar

Post by dinar »

this time (previous my message here) i wrote not about feature requests.
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

dinar wrote:this time (previous my message here) i wrote not about feature requests.
Which was offtopic. As I said.
dinar

Post by dinar »

hello.

i have read this topic again, and have understood what you wanted to explain in this topic to me, this: "start discussion topic but do not post in form of request".

i have looked how "request" is translated to russian and how those translatements are translated to english.

i think, starting new topic about not-implemented feature also can be considered/counted as "feature request".

new board user does not know that there are lot of people with lot of ideas (as Highway of Life said) and that you phpbb.com owners think that if you allow them that will become some chaotic, some uncomfortable, waste forum. so write some more clear and direct explanation about that or why you write "almost everywhere" "do not post feature request". i think many people just want post their feature request, just what they want, their ideas, but you strongly prohibit that without explanation, impolitely, they only can find explanation by searching for "feature requests", i think.
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

i think, starting new topic about not-implemented feature also can be considered/counted as "feature request".
There's a difference between request and discussion, as has already been pointed out. :)
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty »

dinar wrote:i have looked how "request" is translated to russian and how those translatements are translated to english.
Request is "запрос", whereas discussion is "обсуждение". The difference is that discussion tends to be open minded, whereas requests are generally made by those who have already made up their mind. Please understand that our goal isn't to go out of our way to lock topics, so if you bring up something interesting, we're not going to jump out and lock it. On the contrary, new policies were recently enacted to minimise locking within this forum.

Most feature request topics tend to ask for things which have already been discussed to death either internally or within the community as a whole. In essence, the topic is made to argue about adding feature X. Very few feature request topics actually make original (and reasonable) suggestions, and we would all welcome those :)

- Юра
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs
dinar

Post by dinar »

hello.
Techie-Micheal wrote:
There's a difference between request and discussion, as has already been pointed out. :)
may be "feature requests" has slightly different meaning when saying "do not post feature requests" and saying "post feature requests" . also "discussion threads" has slightly different meaning when saying "start discussion threads" and "do not start discussion threads". is not "do not post feature requests" usually understood as "do not post any type of feature request and in any form"? and would not "start discussion threads" be usually understood as "start exactly discussion threads"? and does not saying "phpbb discussion forum. do not post feature requests here" mean "you can discuss exactly phpbb here but excluding any type of feature requests"?
maybe you should ask about that from native english speakers or language scientists that specialize at english well.
Marshalrusty wrote:Most feature request topics tend to ask for things which have already been discussed to death either internally or within the community as a whole. In essence, the topic is made to argue about adding feature X.
people writing here should search from the board and the web what they are going to ask before they post. this is general rule. but i believe some amount that may be feature request posts are made much more aggressively {even if they were already discussed} then support requests and others, because may be people vote for, lobby(?) for features that they want by posting new threads.
may be phpbb team should start also feature tracker like it runs bug tracker, so that people can also vote there and discuss but may be threads with votes can be started in this board with questions like "vote for supporting this feature in 3.5 version or vote for do not supporting this feature in 3.5 version" but i have just looked around this post form and do not see any thing about voting, does phpbb support it? as i said i should know that out with searching. ... i have found this: http://www.phpbb.com/about/features/ - polls are supported.
lurttinen
Translator

Post by lurttinen »

dinar wrote: may be phpbb team should start also feature tracker like it runs bug tracker, so that people can also vote there and discuss but may be threads with votes can be started in this board with questions like "vote for supporting this feature in 3.5 version or vote for do not supporting this feature in 3.5 version" but i have just looked around this post form and do not see any thing about voting, does phpbb support it? as i said i should know that out with searching. ... i have found this: http://www.phpbb.com/about/features/ - polls are supported.
Why?
Is this not enough?

I see a problem with the voting system. Anyone can vote without discussing why something is needed.
Then you, as a user, get a hammer against us if we decide not to include something. Whine "it was voted to be included" etc...
We may decide to include something, but we may as well decide to drop it.
Voting would not mean it will be included, only that it might be included.

One form of voting did actually happen in 3.0.x
Most popular phpBB2 MODs were built from scratch as phpBB3 feature. So, people voted by actually using the feature in phpBB2 and i believe that is the only kind of vote that will work.
This is the only solid proof that such feature was needed. I don't want birthdays on my forums, but some do...
Signature is here
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

dinar wrote:hello.
Techie-Micheal wrote:
may be "feature requests" has slightly different meaning when saying "do not post feature requests" and saying "post feature requests" . also "discussion threads" has slightly different meaning when saying "start discussion threads" and "do not start discussion threads". is not "do not post feature requests" usually understood as "do not post any type of feature request and in any form"? and would not "start discussion threads" be usually understood as "start exactly discussion threads"? and does not saying "phpbb discussion forum. do not post feature requests here" mean "you can discuss exactly phpbb here but excluding any type of feature requests"?
maybe you should ask about that from native english speakers or language scientists that specialize at english well.
Nice try, but once again, you are thinking that when we say feature discussion, that means feature requests, which it does not. We say post feature discussion, which belongs in the discussion forum. We say do not post feature requests, because feature requests are not feature discussion. The two are completely different.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”