[Info] What your host allows for PHP

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
rmang

[Info] What your host allows for PHP

Post by rmang »

Here is a simple way to see what PHP does and does NOT allow on your server/host:

Code:

Code: Select all

<? phpinfo(); ?>
1. Put this in a text file, call it whatever you like, as long as it ends in .php or .php3 (ie test.php)

2. Upload this file to your account.

3. Call it on the web.

The version of PHP will be shown at the top of the page.

If your host allows file uploads, you will see this variable set to "1" or "on":
file_uploads

If your host is running in safe mode, you will see this variable set to "1" or "on":
safe_mode

To see what mail settings your host uses with PHP, look at the variables:
sendmail_from, sendmail_path, SMTP

If your host supports zlib or gzip, search for:
zlib or gzip

If your host has disabled certain PHP functions, look for:
disable_functions

If your host does not have MySQL support, there will NOT be a "mysql" section listed.
---

This should help you figure out if it is a server problem or software problem in many cases such as avatar uploads, gzip compression, email settings, and more.

Rob M.
Sheps

Post by Sheps »

As a quick aside, phpBB does not support local(your computer to the server) avatar uploads on Version 4.0.4pl1. I have got gotten the official word on why yet, but I have been told that there are some security issues with V 4.0.4 pl1

Sheps
ickie

Post by ickie »

I have php-4.0.4pl1 and avatars work fine for me, and it allows uploads , as to securty, lol, i am having a dickins of a time just tryin to access the php.ini to edit max uploads, securty is real tough.
Ickie Berleim

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”