Bl@ck

All 3.0.x styles released in our Styles Database can be found here. All discussion or support regarding an individual style should take place in that style's own area in the Customisations Database.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTICE: This forum is only for the announcement of releases and/or updates for styles. Any style support should be obtained through the Customisations Database in the support area designated for each style.

A direct link to support for each Style is in the first post of the respective topic.

Re: Bl@ck

Postby sevenalive » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:52 am

No, my websites focus on their on purposes. All info about Bl@ck is on this thread.

However i do recommend you upgrade to the pending 1.1 update, link is on the the 3rd post. It uses template inheritance instead and it fixes some issues, most importantly a WC3 validation issue.

To upgrade just delete the Bl@ck folder and reupload the new one. If for some reason you can't, you can follow the FAQ post (3rd on this thread) and make sure your overall footer has that edit. Versions prior to 1.1 are missing a div tag in the overall footer. Also those versions do not have the edits done to the simple header and footer, causing display issues when Find a Member and other UCP/ACP windows.

Hope that makes sense. If you installed mods, if the mods were done to the stock prosilver template, and you use the new Bl@ck 1.1, which uses the prosilver template. Those mods will also be used in Bl@ck.
sevenalive
Translator

Name: Robert

Postby Kaos_Dude » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:16 am

No it makes perfect sense! I already did upgrade to v1.1.0 that's when I lost my colored header :mrgreen: I'm on the bandwagon! I've been using Bl@ck for a couple years now, I was just looking for any extra info that may help tweak it a bit, that's all.

Note though, the new Bl@ck v1.1.0 download does not include everything, I had to use v1.0.6 base template and move in the few files you had under v1.1.0 template directory, not sure if that was on purpose or not?
Kaos_Dude

Postby sevenalive » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:30 am

No phpBB 3.0.3 and later include a feature called template inheritance. Meaning a style can use it's own modded template files and any missing files it will use the inherited template, which is prosilver. The only template files Bl@ck mods are overall_header, overall_footer, simple_header, and simple_footer. The rest of the template files are stock prosilver. 1.1 is suppose to be like that, it makes it easier to maintain the style on your board between phpBB updates and installing mods. It's safe to delete all of the other files in the template folder, just keep the files i mentioned above.

So under the Bl@ck template folder it should only have the 4 files, Bl@ck will use prosilver for the rest of them.
sevenalive
Translator

Postby dontcoz » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:15 am

thank you for this style. i was wondering how to delete the E8E8E8 colored gray margin completely and leave only the white background around the round-cornered boxes. i apologize if this has been answered already. thank you.
dontcoz

Postby sevenalive » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:17 am

You can find replace for that color code in theme/common.css and theme.colour.css, and change it to FFFFFF.

However pay attention to the style class names (.postbox, .header, etc) to make sure you don't change anything you don't want to. Home that helps.
sevenalive
Translator

Postby dontcoz » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:09 pm

thank you sevenalive, i was hoping to get rid of it altogether and to keep only the white margin in its existing width while making the style fluid.. but can't find anywhere how to do that, where to delete the gray by setting its width to zero.
dontcoz

Postby sevenalive » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:50 am

The style is already fluid. It has min and max widths. You can remove the min, max width in the borders.css file. However i would not recommend that since on wide screen monitors at high resolutions, it's stretched too much causing unnecessary wasted blank space.

Here is a screenshot of my monitor running 1920x1080p and what your forum looks like: http://imgur.com/m6gUr.png

This is what Bl@ck 1.1 looks like @ 1920x1080: http://imgur.com/7LOLc.png

1.1.0 increases the width and fixes a few issues, it's pending validation but i made it available here.

Before you do that, please update the style to 1.1.0 and see how you like that:

viewtopic.php?f=73&t=1227005&start=90#p11698325
sevenalive
Translator

Postby dontcoz » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:20 am

seven you make an excellent point:)..

prob is my community is used to fluid layout:)).. i'll certainly consider the option you've mentioned tho. thanks.
dontcoz

Postby sevenalive » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:20 am

Update to 1.1. first, there are style fixes needed and it uses template inheritance (prosilver)

To make it 100% width to the following in the comments:
Open borders.css:

Code: Select all
.outside {
   margin:0 auto;
   min-width:1000px; // Keep this!, Don't remove, instead lower it to 900px or 950px,
   max-width:1360px; // You can remove this but i recommend you keep it for high resolution monitors
   width:90%; // Change to 100%
}

So basically change width to 100%. I recommend you keep the max-width, it will still look like Bl@ck in my screenshot at higher resolutions, but be 100% at lower resolutions. More and more users are running higher resolutions, 1920x1080, 1920x2000, 1650x1050, etc. In fact i remember seeing a discussion that they were going to change prosilver so it doesn't waste so much space.

One thing i do notice with dark backgrounds, the corners have jaggies. Ill convert the corners to png and should solve the problem. Also i do plan on making another theme and it will be called translucence - based on the wordpress theme.
sevenalive
Translator

Postby dontcoz » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:15 am

thank you.. i am convinced:). will wait for validation tho, cause i'm paranoid:))
dontcoz

Postby sevenalive » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:49 pm

I have attached replacement corners to remove the jaggies, it's png images, so if your userbase is mostly IE6, it's better to avoid using transparent pngs because IE6 doesn't support it. IE7+ and other browsers will be fine.

Just upload this into the Bl@ck folder and overwrite the borders.css file.
Attachments
PNG Corners.zip
(7.51 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
sevenalive
Translator

Postby dontcoz » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:45 pm

i said i'll wait but i've changed my mind:)

here it is, not live yet but hopefully soon, with the new corners you've just posted:
http://memebee.com/atomicpoet/index.php

seven, can you add a style signature for the footer with the link to your site? it eases the conscience of us people that are too broke to donate to you makers of open source:)
dontcoz

Postby sevenalive » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:01 am

Looks good, i appreciate it, but I usually don't include credits, but maybe in the next update I'll do it. I guess i could put my name and a link to my open source project Seven Update, at least that will help exposure to that project.

If the styles team ever gets around to validating the update, it's been over 2 months, I would of updated it again with the new corners since most users are at least on IE7 or an alternative browser. Once i submit an update, I get thrown to the bottom of the queue.
sevenalive
Translator

Postby dontcoz » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:38 am

sevenalive wrote:Looks good, i appreciate it, but I usually don't include credits, but maybe in the next update I'll do it. I guess i could put my name and a link to my open source project Seven Update, at least that will help exposure to that project.

i think you should.. maybe add it to this version together with the new corners and despite the queue:).. that's jmo tho. thank you again for a great style.
dontcoz

Postby dontcoz » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:47 am

halp! hope you're still there somewhere:)
recently i've been switching on and off the recompile stale style components option while working on bl@ck and one other prosilver style and ever since my footer in both styles is too wide for some reason. see here:
Untitled1.png

the rest of the page looks normal. do you have any idea how to fix this?
dontcoz

PreviousNext

Return to [3.0.x] Styles Database Releases