[BETA] FIND - Forum Integrated News Delivery - Output

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
netclectic
Former Team Member

Post by netclectic »

FIND - Forum integrated News Delivery - Output - Demo

Updated: 20030620 Well, here it is the second beta of the news output mod. Is should be fairly self explanatory.

Once you've setup the forums you want to be available as newsfeeds you'll be able to access them from a url, like YOUR_FORUMS.COM/news_output.php?f=1

You can aggregate them, so you could do something like YOUR_FORUMS.COM/news_output.php?f=1,2,3

You can also output them to a file, you'd have to create a directory 'rss' and give it write access, so you could set up a cron job to run the script like YOUR_FORUMS.COM/news_output.php?f=1&o=file - this will create a file 1.rdf in the rss directory. You can aggregate these as well.

There is the option in the admin panel to only enable output to file or direct url or both, there is also the option to enforce forum rights but that hasn't been implemented yet.

I think that about sums it up at the moment. Let me know how you get on, cheers!

Enjoy!

Currently in development...
  • implement the Enforce Forum Rights functionality.
Last edited by netclectic on Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
Defend the game:

netclectic
Former Team Member

Post by netclectic »

Ok, folks i've just posted the first beta of the news output mod.

See the first post of this thread for details.

All feedback greatly appreciated!
Defend the game:

pollix

Post by pollix »

I like it the way it is! Its great! I have it on my site: drunksquids.com. The coolest thing about all of this, I made the output file and then added it to my input newsfeed to see how it would work! OMG! Outstanding work! It worked flawlessly! So now I have a phpbb/portal that can rank up to phpnuke or postnuke; but without all the needless stuff that comes with each of these CMS'.

dkklein

Post by dkklein »

Is it possible to use the output feed on a windows active desktop?

Wouldn't it be cool if You could have an automatic update directly on your desktop?

Or maybe it could be used for the email send mod that I and a few others have requested? (Send a mail to users that have not been active for a while with links to recent topics).
Best regards Tommy

netclectic
Former Team Member

Post by netclectic »

Don't know about that. Don't think it would work as it is at the moment. Trouble is it's ouput as xml. I'm sure with some tweaking, maybe a bit of xslt or something, it could do what you're asking.

Nice idea though, I don't have time to look into it at the moment but if somebody else wants to investigate then i'd be willing to look at incorporating it into the mod.
Defend the game:

LaZeR

Post by LaZeR »

Finally got around to installing Find-OUTput. Another great addition although at present I don't have as much use for this part, is still 8) .

Just one small error in your HOWTO for /includes/constants.php

This bit:

Code: Select all

define('NEWSFEEDS_TABLE_OUTPUT',  $table_prefix.'newsfeeds_output');
Should be:

define('NEWSFEEDS_OUTPUT_TABLE,  $table_prefix.'newsfeeds_output');

netclectic
Former Team Member

Post by netclectic »

LaZeR wrote: Just one small error in your HOWTO for /includes/constants.php

You must have been quick off the mark ;) That was a little problem i discovered shortly after uploading the zip file but before i'd posted about it here.

And you missed a quote in your code...

should be

define('NEWSFEEDS_OUTPUT_TABLE',  $table_prefix.'newsfeeds_output');
yawn wrote: IT WORKED!! (ALTHOUGH I HAVE TO ENABLE HTML POSTING FOR THE ENTIRE BOARD AND NOT JUST THE USER )

Yes, sorry about that, i'll be releasing a new version shortly which will resolve the problem.
Defend the game:

LaZeR

Post by LaZeR »

You must have been quick off the mark ;) That was a little problem i discovered shortly after uploading the zip file but before i'd posted about it here.

And you missed a quote in your code...

should be

define('NEWSFEEDS_OUTPUT_TABLE',  $table_prefix.'newsfeeds_output');
:oops: I hate when that happens :oops:

Yea, I musta grabbed it right away from your site. I had the .zip just sitting on my desktop waiting to install.

R. U. Serious

Re: [BETA] FIND - Forum Integrated News Delivery

Post by R. U. Serious »

netclectic wrote: FIND - Output - Demo

Updated: 20021007 @ 20:00 GMT
  • Current Version: 0.9.0 BETA
[...]
You can also output them to a file, you'd have to create a directory 'rss' and give it write access, so you could set up a cron job to run the script like YOUR_FORUMS.COM/news_output.php?f=1&o=file - this will create a file 1.rdf in the rss directory. You can aggregate these as well.

There is the option in the admin panel to only enable output to file or direct url or both, there is also the option to enforce forum rights but that hasn't been implemented yet.

Hi,

this is good work! Thanks. How is the forum-rights coming along? At this point: Does it show everything, or only the stuff that is publicly viewable?

Also I had an idea for the write to file feature. If I see things right, you say you need a cronjob to regularly write a current file. I was thinking aybe you could implement a different solution: How about caching reqeusts in a file, and refreshing them only on request (and if the cache is older than x minutes). Sort of like here: http://www.developers-resources.com/sto ... 08/8945895

Since you want to enforce forum rights, the calls to the RSS-feeds would have to go through a script anyway...

Anyway just an idea, i know it's adding complexity and work, but if it seems intersting and worthwil to you, I'd like to see it

netclectic
Former Team Member

Re: [BETA] FIND - Forum Integrated News Delivery

Post by netclectic »

R. U. Serious wrote: this is good work! Thanks. How is the forum-rights coming along? At this point: Does it show everything, or only the stuff that is publicly viewable?

Cheers. Haven't done much with the rights recently, been working on the weblog thing. Soon though ;)
At the moment, IIRC, it displays everything but you have to enable it on a per forum basis.
R. U. Serious wrote: Also I had an idea for the write to file feature. If I see things right, you say you need a cronjob to regularly write a current file. I was thinking aybe you could implement a different solution: How about caching reqeusts in a file, and refreshing them only on request (and if the cache is older than x minutes). Sort of like here: http://www.developers-resources.com/sto ... 08/8945895

I like the sound of that, ill look into it.

R. U. Serious wrote: Anyway just an idea, i know it's adding complexity and work, but if it seems intersting and worthwil to you, I'd like to see it

Definitly, i'm always willing to consider new ideas.
Thanks.
Defend the game:

Holger

Post by Holger »

Great MOD - great idea!

I get the following error message when I execute
news_output.php?f=1&o=file

Warning: fopen(".//1.rdf", "wb") - Permission denied in /is/htdocs/32261/www.manual-forum.de/phpbb/news_output.php on line 135

"rss" directory has CHMOD 777.

Any idea?

/Holger

netclectic
Former Team Member

Post by netclectic »

Oops! :oops:

Seems i forgot to add a bit in the admin page for the output path.

Try this...

INSERT INTO `phpbb_config` (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('news_output_path', 'rss')
I'll get an updated version out a.s.a.p.
Defend the game:

Holger

Post by Holger »

Yesssssssssssssssssssss ... COOL!

Thanks a lot!

This MOD is GREAT!

/Holger

Holger

Post by Holger »

Hi Netclectic,

I had my feed approved by Syndic8. It works fine. But here a comment from one of the admins:
But in looking at the feed I noticed a big problem.

You're putting formatted text using line breaks in the feed. That's not going
to work in most reader programs. XML specs dictate that whitespace is stripped
from element contents. You all your text gets wrapped into one long string.
That's probably not what you want. Technically, you'd have to add an XML space
preserve attribute (<description xml:space="preserve">). But no readers appear
to support it.

Is that a problem?

/Holger

netclectic
Former Team Member

Post by netclectic »

Holger wrote: I had my feed approved by Syndic8. It works fine.

Nice one! :D
Holger wrote: But here a comment from one of the admins:
Is that a problem?

Could well be a problem if your feed is going to be used by the general public. I'll look into it, i've got a few things to look into for the newsfeeds and i'll hopefully get to them soon.
Defend the game:

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”