phpBB as a starting point for an open source democracy?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Re: phpBB as a starting point for an open source democracy?

Post by SamG »

Mills wrote:It seems to me like you're a bit hung up on the web development end of things, this is a site which would be overwhelmingly about "real life"; the user-regulation and democratic modification I'm talking about are essentially just work-arounds to get us past what I see as the problems with using existing discussion platforms for this purpose.
Then I'm guilty of poor communication. I'm not interested in the development side at all, since this is a phpBB discussion forum, but about the concept you've presented and how, on a small scale, it already plays out right here, and how it might play out under a different approach in terms of already available technology. It was an effort to save you from hours of coding not just now, but in the future, maintaining a modification code base on top of an ever-changing phpBB core.

Mills wrote:I don't really understand this point of view, it seems like discussing it is all we've been doing! If you want to discuss the same kind of thing with a broader focus can't you start another thread?
Since this is a phpBB Discussion forum, and since lots of people have had recruitment and "how to" topics closed or moved in this forum, discussion is all we should really be having. What kind of other topic could I start about your idea? Again, I was really just trying to give you the opportunity to think about a different, simpler, more straightforward approach to a given end. Of course, just because it seems simpler and straightforward to me doesn't mean it would even work, since I could be missing much.
3Di wrote:All of this being said I do disagree with your above statement...
That's fine. But see my comment above. As you well know, people who want to specialize phpBB and get help doing so are normally sent to another forum or have their topic closed. I'm not hoping the topic gets closed, but the topic is a "sign on because there I have a specific task I'd like to apply phpBB to" type of topic, not a "what do you think of this idea" type of topic. If I posted here with a topic of how to integrate a telescope drive system into posts about celestial objects so that I could make the life of amateur astronomers more fun, I'd get sent to the MOD forum, I think. That's all I'm saying.
Mills wrote:I'm not sure whether the discussion is being side-tracked by SamG
Not my intent (as I've explained), so I apologize if that's the case. Since I can't quite seem to get across what I'm trying to say and why, and since it doesn't really matter if I do, again, I wish you luck on the coding and implementing, I may start a topic in General Discussion on why I think localization and decentralization important to pooling ideas, and if I do, I'd appreciate your participation as you have time.
We should talk less, and say more.
Mills

Re: phpBB as a starting point for an open source democracy?

Post by Mills »

Then I'm guilty of poor communication.
I think I might have been too harsh, my point was essentially that I think about this project in terms of discussing important things which are happening in the "real world"; its harder for me to discuss it in terms of web development because (a) I'm not as familiar with this field and (b) that would be quite a minor part of the site I'm looking to develop once it was up and running.
I'm not interested in the development side at all, since this is a phpBB discussion forum, but about the concept you've presented and how, on a small scale, it already plays out right here, and how it might play out under a different approach in terms of already available technology.
I'm not talking about any fundamentally new technology, I'm talking about taking bits of what's already available elsewhere on the internet (e.g. Wikis, the Digg mechanism) and combining it with phpBB to make something new and useful.

In fact, because I'm not really a programmer I think it would be extremely difficult for me to come up with any features which are fundamentally new; and this is really where I thought members of this board might be able to contribute something really useful. What I didn't anticipate was being told not to bother because the kind of interaction I'm after was theoretically achievable using existing software without modification.
Since this is a phpBB Discussion forum, and since lots of people have had recruitment and "how to" topics closed or moved in this forum, discussion is all we should really be having. What kind of other topic could I start about your idea? Again, I was really just trying to give you the opportunity to think about a different, simpler, more straightforward approach to a given end. Of course, just because it seems simpler and straightforward to me doesn't mean it would even work, since I could be missing much.
I think this is our problem Sam; I've already distilled the complex thing I'm trying to achieve into what is to me a much simpler and more straightforward concept, and then tried to describe that concept here. I think the simpler alternatives you're suggesting neglect a huge chunk of the problems I haven't mentioned (because the site I'm trying to produce would be designed precisely to negate these).

Return to “phpBB Discussion”