Simple Syndication

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in the Customisations Database.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTICE: This forum is only for the announcement of new releases and/or updates of MODs. Any MOD support should be obtained through the Customisations Database in the support area designated for each MOD.

A direct link to support for each MOD is in the first post of the respective topic.
Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot

Simple Syndication

Post by Extensions Robot »

Modification name: Simple Syndication
Author: TheSa|nt
Modification description: RSS and ATOM Webfeed syndicator

Supported phpBB versions:
Version 1.2.6: Submitted for validation. Written for phpBB 3.1.x, known compatible with all versions 3.0.x-3.1.x. (Note: it was denied and won't be available to download directly here since it is not in the new "extension format". You can find it by searching the version number on google or in the support tab, there is a post with a link)
Version 1.2.5: written and validated for phpBB 3.0.11, known compatible with all versions 3.0.x including 3.0.12.

Note: It mentions above "Warning: The author of this contribution does not provide support for it anymore.", but the mod is active once again so that it can be brought to phpBB 3.1.x versions. For some reason, it won't allow me to untick the warning notice to make it go away. I am here though, and the new version has been submitted for validation. - TheSa|nt

Distinction from the standard phpBB feed option:
This MOD is not intended to compete with the standard phpBB feed option which is suitable for most applications, Simple Syndication has the following distinct features:
  • RSS format available.
  • Flexibility for the end user by using the different "get" parameters.
  • A strong feature is the "chars" parameter, to truncate the post content in e.g. feed summary overviews with help of scripts like RSS2HTML (only showing the first "chars" number of characters, HTML and BBCode tags get stripped to keep the feed code valid).
  • Option to show the last post of topics only.
  • Option to filter on User ID.
Installation notes:
Basically all you need is to copy syndication.php in the root of your phpBB3 installation and open that with a feedreader.
An example feed URL for use in a browser that support feeds or in a feed reader is:
http://yoursite.xx/phpbb/syndication.php
The actual URL (location of syndication.php) depends on YOUR board installation.

The manual file edits as explained in install.xml are to activate the feed icon in your browser, this step can be omited or be done later when you are satisfied with the feed result.

Upgrading phpBB:
Only if you did the manual file edits as explained in install.xml: after upgrading your phpBB you need to modify the updated versions of the following files again as described in the MOD instructions:
  • includes/functions.php
  • styles/prosilver/template/overall_header.html
Settings:
There are no settings in the ACP for this MOD.
A few settings are prepared for editing in syndication.php.

Exclude forums from the feed (default = none excluded):
// Here you can set excluded forums by numerical forum id, multiple id's separated by a comma
$cfg['exclude_forums'] = '';

Set the default number of posts in the feed (default = 10):
// Here you can set the default number of posts in the feed
$cfg['max_topics'] = '10';

User notes:
This MOD generates a Webfeed in RSS (default) or Atom format for public and non passworded forums.

The end user can customize the resulting Webfeed by calling the syndicator with "get" parameters.
Valid parameters are:
  • chars=[number] - number of characters per post, HTML and BBCode tags get stripped: syndication.php?chars=200
  • count=[number] - number of most recent posts: syndication.php?count=3
  • fid=[number,numberX] - forum id, multiple id's separated by a comma: syndication.php?fid=32,50
  • t=first - first post of topics only: syndication.php?t=first
  • t=last - last post of topics only: syndication.php?t=last
  • t=title - topic titles only: syndication.php?t=title
  • type=atom - Atom format: syndication.php?type=atom
  • uid=[number,numberX] - user id, multiple id's separated by a comma: syndication.php?uid=3,5
You can also combine parameters e.g.: syndication.php?type=atom&count=3
The default without parameters results in: RSS format and all contents of the 10 most recent posts of all forums.

Release history:
2008-11-21 Version1.2.0
  • Initial validated and released version.
2008-11-23 Version1.2.1
  • Code change to avoid error when used with MS SQL Server.
2013-03-06 Version1.2.4
  • Code change in the SQL query for better performance with large forums (thanks to fonant).
  • Atom time format corrected for proper Time Zone handling.
  • Code changes according latest guidelines and for non DB specific SQL.
  • More enhancements to the code.
2013-06-02 - Version1.2.5
  • User ID parameter added.
  • Parameter change for topics, option for topic titles only added.
2015-05-04 - Version1.2.6 (denied validation)
  • Support for phpBB 3.1.x.
  • Note: it was denied and won't be available to download directly here since it is not in the new "extension format". You can find it by searching the version number on google or in the support tab, there is a post with a link. It's the best I can do, sorry :)
Modification version: 1.2.5
Tested on phpBB version: 3.0.11

Download file: simple syndication [1.2.5].zip
File size: 38.31 KiB

Modification overview page: View

The phpBB Team is not responsible nor required to provide support for this modification. By installing this MOD, you acknowledge that the phpBB Support Team or phpBB Extension Customisations Team may not be able to provide support.

-->Modification support<--
Last edited by Extensions Robot on Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:33 pm, edited 66 times in total.
(this is a non-active account manager for the phpBB Extension Customisations Team)
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Simple Syndication

Post by Paul »

Modification validated/released

Notes:
wouterv
Name: Wouter

Simple Syndication

Post by wouterv »

Supported phpBB versions:
Written and validated for phpBB 3.0.3
Tested up to phpBB 3.0.7-PL1

Installation notes:
Basically all you need is to copy syndication.php in the root of your phpBB3 installation and open that with a feedreader.
An example feed URL for use in a browser that support feeds or in a feed reader is:
http://yoursite.xx/phpbb/syndication.php
The actual URL (location of syndication.php) depends on YOUR board installation.

The manual file edits as explained in install.xml are to activate the feed icon in your browser, this step can be omited or be done later when you are satisfied with the feed result.

Upgrading phpBB:
After upgrading your phpBB you need to modify the updated versions of the following files again as described in the MOD instructions:
  • includes/functions.php
  • styles/prosilver/template/overall_header.html
Settings:
There are no settings in the ACP for this MOD.
A few settings are prepared for editing in syndication.php.

Exclude forums from the feed (default = none excluded):

Code: Select all

// Here you can set excluded forums by forum id, multiple id's separated by a comma
$cfg['exclude_forums'] = '';
Set number of topics (better said: number of posts) in the feed (default = 10):

// Here you can set the default number of topics
$cfg['max_topics'] = '10';
User notes:
This MOD generates a Webfeed in RSS (default) or Atom format for public and non passworded forums.

The end user can customize the resulting Webfeed by calling the syndicator with "get" parameters.
Valid parameters are:

chars=[number] - number of characters per post, HTML and BBCode tags get stripped: syndication.php?chars=200
count=[number] - number of most recent posts: syndication.php?count=3
fid=[number,numberX] - forum id, multiple id's separated by a comma: syndication.php?fid=32,50
t=1 - first post of topics only: syndication.php?t=1
t=2 - last post of topics only: syndication.php?t=2
type=atom - Atom format: syndication.php?type=atom

You can also combine parameters: syndication.php?type=atom&count=3
The default without parameters results in: RSS format and all contents of the 10 most recent posts of all forums.

Release history:
This MOD is a continuation of the work of Angelside and Matthijs.

2008-11-21 - Version1.2.0
Initial validated and released version

2008-11-23 - Version1.2.1
Code change to avoid error when used with MS SQL Server
Last edited by wouterv on Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:45 pm, edited 28 times in total.
Ahri89

Re: Simple Syndication

Post by Ahri89 »

Great mod :P thanks :D
MODs translated to Spanish: ACP Add User MOD, ACP Announcement Centre, Advertisement Management, Custom Profile Fields, Update Reminder, Flood time setting per forum, MOD Version Check, Posting template, Prune Log, Simple Trash Bin, TinyPic Plugin, User Reminder, View Profile, View your topics, and more...

Sorry for my bad english xD
Artack

Post by Artack »

congrate with validation wouterv :)
what must I do to rename rss.php ?

in includes/functions.php change

'U_SYNDICATION'			=> generate_board_url() . "/rss.$phpEx",
and in syndication.php

// Compile the feed link
$feed_link = (generate_board_url() . "/rss.php" . "?" . htmlspecialchars($_SERVER['QUERY_STRING']));
am I right?
GameraFan

Post by GameraFan »

How difficult would it be to have this mod automatically put in the forum id (fid) in each forum so visitors could then just add a feed for that specific forum?
sukato

Syncing Feed Logs off phpBB User

Post by sukato »

If I resync the feed from mail reader or browser, my browser session in another window gets logged off. Very annoying. Don't know how to fix this. Any ideas?
keelobyte

Post by keelobyte »

At the risk of sounding like a muppet, how do I install this mod. There's no clear step-by-step documentation, and because I'm quite new to forum moderation (and I'm making the mod on a live forum with a few hundred memers) I would love to have some guidance before I do it.

Cheers.
GameraFan

Post by GameraFan »

keelobyte wrote:At the risk of sounding like a muppet, how do I install this mod. There's no clear step-by-step documentation, and because I'm quite new to forum moderation (and I'm making the mod on a live forum with a few hundred memers) I would love to have some guidance before I do it.

Cheers.
Install instructions are in install.xml in the zip file.
marksalehouse

Post by marksalehouse »

keelobyte wrote:I'm quite new to forum moderation (and I'm making the mod on a live forum with a few hundred memers) I would love to have some guidance before I do it.

Cheers.
Don't forget to backup your Forum directly before installing this. You can do that via the Forum ACP or on Cpanel. www.mysite.com/panel using your server ID & Password. Then use File Manager or Backups depending on your Cpanel.

Even better, if you have the time & space, set up a test Forum and Mod away to your hearts content. :lol:

M
Didy

Post by Didy »

Nice MOD but i have problem with it and would appreciate any help:

I installed Simple Syndication (followed instructions from install file) and my forum looks like this

Category 1
+ Forum 1

Category 2
+ Forum 1
+ Forum 2
+....
+ Forum 9

Category 3
+ Forum 1
+ Forum 2
+....
+ Forum 9

Now when i try to get RSS results i can get them only for FORUM 1 in category 1. When i put different forum ID for fid argument i get nothing. But when i put ID of Forum 1 (category 1) as fid argument then i get results. I really don't understand what do i do wrong. Any ideas?
AllCity
Name: Andrey Shapoval

Post by AllCity »

Cool mod!
Really, I found it a bit Easy :)
instead
Open: includes/functions.php
Find
Tip: This may be a partial find and not the whole line.

'SITE_LOGO_IMG' => $user->img('site_logo'))
Add before
Tip: Add these lines on a new blank line before the preceding line(s) to find.

'U_SYNDICATION' => generate_board_url() . "/syndication.$phpEx",
<< Hide
Open: styles/prosilver/template/overall_header.html
Find

<head>
Add after
Tip: Add these lines on a new blank line after the preceding line(s) to find.

<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="{SITENAME}" href="{U_SYNDICATION}" />
I did
Open: styles/prosilver/template/overall_header.html
Find

<head>
Add after

<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="{SITENAME} - RSS" href="/syndication.php?type=rss" />
<link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml" title="{SITENAME} - Atom" href="/syndication.php?type=atom" />
Last edited by AllCity on Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My mods home page.
Paul
Name: Paul Sohier

Simple Syndication

Post by Paul »

MOD Updated to version 1.2.1
See first post for Download Link
polle

Post by polle »

Hi.

I have v 1.0 installed, it has been a while, and now my forum duplicates the rss content. ( maybe because an update of phpBB )

I now have phpBB 3.0.3 installed and just downloaded syndication 1.2.1.

Which steps should I do to upgrade ?
Just replace syndication.php ?

Can someone point me to a installation process in case I have to do it everything by hand again, as I do not remember which files I modified in the first place. That way I can also check my code and remove unnecesary things and keep this as needed.

Thanks.
polle

Post by polle »

After a quick look I have this:

In feedburner I am pointing to: http://www.site.com/forums/syndication.php?type=rss

So...
• I replace syndication.php
• In my header "<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS 2.0" href="http://feeds.feedburner.com/myfeed" />"
• Change max_topics and chars to my desired number in syndication.php
• Add

'U_SYNDICATION'			=> generate_board_url() . "/syndication.$phpEx",
to functions.php

Erase:
styles/prosilver/template/syndication_atom.xml
styles/prosilver/template/syndication_rss2.xml

Will that leave everything correct ?

Thanks.

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Database Releases”