[2.0.6] RSS Content Syndicator

The cleanup is complete. This forum is now read only.

Rating:

Excellent!
64%
Very Good
22%
Good
7%
Fair
3%
Poor
4%

Total votes: 185

Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot

[2.0.6] RSS Content Syndicator

Postby Extensions Robot » Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:31 pm

MOD Name: RSS Content Syndicator
Author: nschindler
MOD Description: Post-centric forum syndication using RSS

MOD Version: 2.0.2

Download File: RSS_Content_Syndicator-2.0.2.zip
File Size: 6224 Bytes
Last edited by Extensions Robot on Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
(this is a non-active account manager for the phpBB Extensions Team)

wGEric
Former Team Member
Name: Eric Faerber

Postby wGEric » Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:51 pm

MOD Validated/Released
Eric

nschindler

MOD Status

Postby nschindler » Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:54 pm

Edited 2007/01/08

Please note that I no longer maintain a phpBB installation, and hence no longer maintain this MOD. If anyone is willing to take over its development, PM me. There have been a lot of changes suggested that I haven't incorporated.
That said, I was recently made aware of a security issue. If anyone's willing to test it, please provide me with your results.

change this:

Code: Select all

$sql = "SELECT f.forum_name, t.topic_title, u.user_id, u.username, u.user_sig, u.user_sig_bbcode_uid, p.post_id, pt.post_text, pt.post_subject, pt.bbcode_uid, p.post_time, t.topic_replies, t.topic_first_post_id
   FROM " . FORUMS_TABLE . " AS f, " . TOPICS_TABLE . " AS t, " . USERS_TABLE . " AS u, " . POSTS_TABLE . " AS p, " . POSTS_TEXT_TABLE . " as pt
   WHERE
       t.forum_id = f.forum_id
           AND f.auth_view = " . AUTH_ALL . "
           AND p.poster_id = u.user_id
           AND pt.post_id = p.post_id
           AND p.topic_id = t.topic_id
           $sql_topics_only_where
           $sql_forum_where
   ORDER BY p.post_time DESC LIMIT $count";

to this:

$sql = "SELECT f.forum_name, t.topic_title, u.user_id, u.username, u.user_sig, u.user_sig_bbcode_uid, p.post_id, pt.post_text, pt.post_subject, pt.bbcode_uid, p.post_time, t.topic_replies, t.topic_first_post_id
   FROM " . FORUMS_TABLE . " AS f, " . TOPICS_TABLE . " AS t, " . USERS_TABLE . " AS u, " . POSTS_TABLE . " AS p, " . POSTS_TEXT_TABLE . " as pt
   WHERE
       t.forum_id = f.forum_id
           AND f.auth_read = " . AUTH_ALL . "
           $sql_topics_only_where
           $sql_forum_where
   ORDER BY p.post_time DESC LIMIT $count";
Last edited by nschindler on Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

elspanko

This MOD works great

Postby elspanko » Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:27 am

And my users love it - since installing it our overall forum traffic has increased from clickthroughs and about 5 percent of our apache server clients are now news aggregators.

I recently added RSS/XML graphics at the bottom of our forum to publicize the availability of feeds via this MOD, linking them to a sticky which explains how to use the feed.

Thanks again nschindler!

elspanko

nschindler

Re: This MOD works great

Postby nschindler » Sat Nov 15, 2003 4:15 am

elspanko wrote:And my users love it - since installing it our overall forum traffic has increased from clickthroughs and about 5 percent of our apache server clients are now news aggregators.

I recently added RSS/XML graphics at the bottom of our forum to publicize the availability of feeds via this MOD, linking them to a sticky which explains how to use the feed.

Thanks again nschindler!

elspanko

Di nada, that's very cool! I feel all special, since this was my first PHP project. Glad to hear that it's useful. :)

Now, before people start asking about it, this MOD outputs (validated) RSS 0.92. If your aggregator isn't capable of parsing 0.92 or higher, things tend to get a little goofy. I chose 0.92 because it was the first version of RSS to allow content-encoded html tags, and a lot of other content restrictions were lifted (such as body length). It simply would've been a major pain coding this to be compliant with pre 0.92 aggregators, and 0.92 is old enough that just about every aggregator should support it. They're up to 2.0 now, I think. Just note that if an aggregator doesn't display your feed properly, it's *probably* the aggregator's fault.

Otherwise, just be sure to read the included rss.MOD.txt file, where the options are explained, and proper credit is given to those whose code I've "borrowed". :)

For people who want aggregators installed on their desktop, I'd suggest:
Win32 - Feed Reader
Linux - Liferea

I built this MOD so that I could syndicate my board at LiveJournal. It works very well there. If you'd like do see a DEMO, you can find one here. Just don't expect much from my board... it's pretty lame. :)

elspanko

Re: This MOD works great

Postby elspanko » Sat Nov 15, 2003 4:46 am

For Mac OS X users, I'd like to suggest the awesome NetNewsWire and it's freeware sibling, NetNewsWire Lite from Ranchero Software. In my book there's no better news aggregator for the Mac (requires Mac OS X 10.2 "Jaguar" and Safari 1.0).

elspanko

nschindler wrote:For people who want aggregators installed on their desktop, I'd suggest:
Win32 - Feed Reader
Linux - Liferea

Matthijs
Former Team Member

Postby Matthijs » Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:47 am

Just noticed about this, seems the email subscription to my original topic didn't work anymore... anyway, since there seem to be several additions and the original authors are listed, this validates a new release. It might have been better to contact me via email, so we could make this a newer version of my RDF/RSS Content Syndicator, but well...
I currently don't have the time to do any PHP coding, so I always welcome those wo want to enhance my scripts.

Link back to the original post here (for reference and such): http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=75316
phpBB Converter Team Member
Developer of the vBulletin 2.x.x -> phpBB 2.0.x Converter
See Matthijs.net for more info

transitbus

Postby transitbus » Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:09 am

Thank you for a very easy to install mod. I have this as along with the topics anywhere mod and I love the publishing features of both.

If anyone is looking for an amazing rss 2.0/ rdf compliant reader, CaRP is full featured and is completely php PLUS you can publish out to javascript with the paid version (which is dirt cheap!) as well as having multiple feeds on the same page. PM me if you want the link or just search google for carp rss feed and the first or second is hte link.
Thanks for proving my point...

Running -> Windows 2003 Standard sp1 :: MS-Sql Server 2000 sp4 :: IIS 6 :: php 4.4.0 isapi mode :: phpbb 2.0.16 <-

quentin

Postby quentin » Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:47 am

Very cool mod. I use it in my company to aggregate forum information on the intranet home page.
Easy to use and install, good job.

Quentin
The largest message boards on the web !
Web Design Library (coming soon)
Friends sites: Heroes of might and magic - Biometric security

nschindler

Postby nschindler » Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:12 pm

Matthijs wrote:Just noticed about this, seems the email subscription to my original topic didn't work anymore... anyway, since there seem to be several additions and the original authors are listed, this validates a new release. It might have been better to contact me via email, so we could make this a newer version of my RDF/RSS Content Syndicator, but well...
I currently don't have the time to do any PHP coding, so I always welcome those wo want to enhance my scripts.

Link back to the original post here (for reference and such): http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=75316

Yeah, sorry. I didn't think about e-mail. Just assumed you saw my posts, but didn't reply.
Although I used some of your code and concepts, this is mod is fairly different than your original mod in terms of function: A) This one is focused on posts by default, not topics. B) It uses RSS instead of RDF.

Your mod works great, and it's more functional in RSS aggregators which don't accept content-encoded HTML tags (pre RSS 0.92). Some may actually consider this RSS mod bloated in comparison to your RDF mod, as it stands.

Anyway, because of how different this RSS mod is in comparison to your RDF mod, I concluded that they could (possibly SHould) exist as two separate projects.
RSS=simplicity, RDF=capability
You can go a lot further with RDF than I can with RSS, but for the scope of my project, RSS was more than adequate.

I'm with you... I have NO time to code lately. I kinda left a couple of other projects on the table because I didn't have time to work on them. I'll fix bugs in this mod if any are found, but feature requests will have to wait.

Anyway, thank you Matthijs. When 2.2 is released, we should work together on a syndication mod for it. :D

hartlijn

Postby hartlijn » Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:55 pm

wwoowww, this is really a nice one!

is it also possible to get the phpbb security in it? for example I have all my forums open to registered users only, so I would like to open the feed only to logged in members.

the feedreader can ask for a user/pass.

like this we can also show all posts from private forums depending on the user who is asking them to show.

nschindler

Postby nschindler » Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:50 pm

hartlijn wrote:wwoowww, this is really a nice one!

is it also possible to get the phpbb security in it? for example I have all my forums open to registered users only, so I would like to open the feed only to logged in members.

the feedreader can ask for a user/pass.

like this we can also show all posts from private forums depending on the user who is asking them to show.

Presently, no. The syndicator will only show public forums.

Are you saying you have an aggregator that allows for authentication? What's it called?

I never really thought about authentication, because I hadn't run across any aggregators with settings for it. Authentication doesn't seem to be common practice with RSS. You're right, though. Such capability would be nice under certain circumstances.

Like I said in a previous post, new features will have to wait a little while, but if you can provide the name of an aggregator that asks you for a user/pass, I'll keep this in mind.

wanted

Postby wanted » Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:06 am

Hi,

I wanted to know as I could make in order to only visualize the topic with determining title or with a specific word of the title.

For Example:

visualize only the topic with word NEWS in the title. :wink:

nschindler

Postby nschindler » Sun Nov 23, 2003 1:51 am

wanted wrote:Hi,

I wanted to know as I could make in order to only visualize the topic with determining title or with a specific word of the title.

For Example:

visualize only the topic with word NEWS in the title. :wink:

why don't you just create a forum called "News", and set rss.php to syndicate only that forum with "rss.php?f=<forum number>"? That would seem like a much cleaner way to do it.

if you just wanted an answer to your question, it would be, 'not without editing the php code, but it's not too hard to get it to do what you want. you'd just have to add another 'where' clause in the sql query to filter for a certin string (like "NEWS") in t.topic_title and/or pt.post_subject.'

wanted

Postby wanted » Sun Nov 23, 2003 10:49 am

Thanks!!! :P

I have added this line in SQL statement and works:

WHERE
      t.forum_id = f.forum_id
         AND f.auth_view = " . AUTH_ALL . "
         AND t.topic_title LIKE '%NEWS%' //line added