psoTFX post

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
Orange-Crush

psoTFX post

Post by Orange-Crush »

This post from psoTFX ( http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=146787 ) scares me. This is essentially what brought down XMB a couple of years ago (which was eventually re-born).

I'd like to see the crux of the disagreement. If, during the short time I've been following phpBB, anyone has contributed more sweat, it's psoTFX. Anyone in the phpBB hierarchy care to comment as to what is going on?

Maybe psoTFX can elaborate on this comment because it is confusing:
psoTFX wrote: Let me quickly follow this by saying I will continue developing phpBB, with my team, and work on phpBB 2.2. will continue. However, it will not continue here till the situation which prompted this is resolved.

Give us a bone here. What is the disagreement about? How can we help?
Not a member of the Search Police, go ahead, ask your question...
darktiger

Post by darktiger »

Not sure whats happening if theres a *war/major dispute* between some of the developers. Hopefully they shad some light on the problem at hand so maybe everyone can pitch in to resolve it. If its a personal issue between the members of the dev. team, hopefully everything works out.

That "note continue here" ? Something wrong with the chain of command here? any further details would be welcomed.
Heimidal
Former Team Member

Post by Heimidal »

Currently, all that really needs to be said is that there is no effect on the end user or development. Paul has simply stopped using this web site in general.
XXHelpXX

Post by XXHelpXX »

Goodness! I had the same drama on another board I have.. why can't people just get along..

It seems as everyone wants to be a chief and when they can't they cause problems for other members and those that are in charge.. I hope you come back psoTFX
Cross_+_Flame

Post by Cross_+_Flame »

Yeah....I'd be interested as well :?
strobe

Post by strobe »

This type of stuff happens every now and then. I'm sure it will all work out in time. Best of luck to the phpBB team!!
** An official 'n00b' and provider of 'destructive advice' since December 17th, 2003 **

Still living in mom and dad's basement -- been at home since 74' and not leaving anytime soon!!!

Brucey, Brucey, Bruce - The Internet's Golden Goose.
Rookie7

Post by Rookie7 »

All shucks. This is the LAST thing phpBB needs. phpBB (the latest version) is already under-developed (compared to other scripts) and now its development is halted? Oh geesh. Based on the development rates of other forum scripts, phpbb2.2 should be released like half a year ago...now it's gonna be delayed even more? Geesh. Well...at least I have more reasons to convert now. :roll:
Wert
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Aguilar

Post by Wert »

Rookie7 wrote: All shucks. This is the LAST thing phpBB needs. phpBB (the latest version) is already under-developed (compared to other scripts) and now its development is halted? Oh geesh. Based on the development rates of other forum scripts, phpbb2.2 should be released like half a year ago...now it's gonna be delayed even more? Geesh. Well...at least I have more reasons to convert now. :roll:
You need to actually read Pauls post. Developement is certainly not halted.
Let me quickly follow this by saying I will continue developing phpBB, with my team, and work on phpBB 2.2. will continue.

Please make an effort to actually read the relevant post and not spread false information.

Thank you.
Chris Aguilar - AKA "Wert"
Rookie7

Post by Rookie7 »

Actually...I did read it before I post that message. Sorry for not making myself clear. I was refering to the development by the lead developer...and he did say that he will not continue to develop 2.2 until the situation is resolved right after the statement saying he will...which is quite confusing.
However, it will not continue here till the situation which prompted this is resolved.

It here refers to the development of 2.2, I think.

Development of 2.2 will certainly continue by the other two developers but...chances are its release date will be delayed.
However I ask that those (on all teams) who feel the same way as myself about the "issue" at hand abstain from supporting any other area of this board ...

includes helping develop a very much NEEDED version in order for phpBB to stay in the competitive level with the other forum scripts.

Again, I apologize for not saying it correctly.

By the way, Paul = psoTFX ?
Last edited by Rookie7 on Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Matthijs
Former Team Member

Post by Matthijs »

I think he only means to say that he will not post anything on this forum anymore, but does continue the normal development of 2.2. This should only affect support on this forum, as Paul (psoTFX) will not be around to answer questions.

Correct me if I'm wrong...
phpBB Converter Team Member
Developer of the vBulletin 2.x.x -> phpBB 2.0.x Converter
See Matthijs.net for more info
Rookie7

Post by Rookie7 »

Matthijs wrote: I think he only means to say that he will not post anything on this forum anymore, but does continue the normal development of 2.2. This should only affect support on this forum, as Paul (psoTFX) will not be around to answer questions.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Ah I see! :idea: :)
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

I don't want to start something here, but what, actually, was the point of his post? :?

Apparently there is some sort of problem. Equally obvious is that (I assume) most of us haven't a clue what it is. If he wants to back off (or stop altogether) posting here, why did that have to be posted? He could have just stopped. Maybe someone would have noticed, maybe not.

The only thing his post did, in my mind, was let everyone else know that there's a problem, and potentially start all sorts of rumors, misunderstandings, and potential problems. I think, personally, that was a bit irresponsible. He could have simply let it go unnoticed and nobody would have been the wiser until the problem was resolved.

The only reason I can think of for making such a public announcement was to gain leverage to solve the problem or issue, whatever it is. In my opinion, I don't think that was necessary or even appropriate to do.

And of course I am speaking out about this without having any idea what the actual issue is. It may be that he felt that such a step was necessary. I have a lot of respect for psoTFX and the entire phpbb team, on the development as well as the support side. I hope they can resolve whatever problem(s) they have. Quickly. 8)
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG »

I can see your point, but it isn't hard for me to imagine that if Paul had said nothing and just left, that could "potentially start all sorts of rumors, misunderstandings, and potential problems" as well.

The public announcement was/is a tough call. It does no demonstrable good for any of us to "Monday morning quarterback" that decision, now that it has been made. At least that's how I see it.
We should talk less, and say more.
Draegonis
Former Team Member

Post by Draegonis »

drathburn: Since you, as admitted, have no clue on the subject at hand, kindly stick a sock in it.
gfmorris

Post by gfmorris »

Sometimes, a leader has to make a public statement to make things clear.

None of us know, really, what the issue is or who's right or wrong ... if there is a clear-cut binary decision path to that.

I, for one, would appreciate more openness as to what's going on. Obviously, there is conflict brewing, and while part of me understands that such conflict might be best left in the background, the other part of me wishes that the matter could be discussed openly and rationally.

What does concern me is Paul's language--which implies a clear "us v. them" mentality, with "my team" prominent. I'm not jumping on Paul [I'd rather not, as I owe him a debt of gratitude, as I do others, of course], but anytime you make start choosing up sides, you're further ingraining the conflict.

Praying for reconciliation,
GFM
--
Geof F. Morris

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”