[ABD] myCalendar Mod w/selected forum integration

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
marksten

[ABD] myCalendar Mod w/selected forum integration

Post by marksten » Thu Apr 25, 2002 11:33 am

I know there is currently a very good calendar mod out there, but it wasn't setup the way I wanted. So I made my own calendar mod. This mod adds a Date field to a selected forum. When users create a new post they will see a date field under the subject heading. They can then choose a date and select whether to add it to the calendar or not. This date option will ONLY APPEAR for new posts in that forum. The user can then go back and edit it if he/she chooses. The calendar portion of this prints out the subject heading for the event and creates a link back to the event post.

I have also created a front page mod for this(upcomingEvents.php), which looks at todays date and grabs whatever number of event days you want(ie. I currently have it printing out 5 event days).

Now, I post this mod with some reservation. I do not have the desire to support this mod. It does exactly what I want it to do, so I won't be "enhancing" it. I mostly post this for those who can use it and those who just need a starting point and will update it and modify the code as they please for their own site. I'll try and keep watch on this topic in case you have problems, but I don't expect you will AS LONG AS YOU FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS. Enjoy! :)

PS. Make sure when you cut and paste the code that it doesn't create any line breaks in the middle of the code. It shouldn't but be aware of that if you run into problems. :P

Updated: May 24th, 2002

I have handed this project over to mojavelinux. You can now downloaded the latest versions at:

http://mojavelinux.com/forum/index.php?c=6

Enjoy!
Last edited by marksten on Mon Dec 09, 2002 10:18 pm, edited 11 times in total.

morpheus2matrix
Former Team Member

Post by morpheus2matrix » Thu Apr 25, 2002 11:43 am

can we see a demo or screenshot ??
Former phpBB MOD-Team Member -

Forgive my bad English :(

No support by PM/Email - Thanks - You can thanks me here :) - Pay me for installing MOD's :lol:

marksten

Post by marksten » Thu Apr 25, 2002 12:11 pm

NOTE: I took these screenshots out due to them being VERY out-of-date. You can find information about myCalendar over at: http://mojavelinux.com/forum/index.php?c=6

morpheus2matrix wrote: can we see a demo or screenshot ??

Sure...sorry about that:

Calendar
I chopped off the header and footer on this shot. The event here are linked back to the original post in the forum. The texted is grabbed from the phpbb_topics file(if I remember right).

NewPost
Here is the added event field you'll see in the forum you choose. The event isn't added to the calendar unless you check that box next to it. Equally to remove an event from the calendar, just uncheck the box. :P
Again, this row will only show up on a new post OR an edit of the first post in the topic. It will not show up in any other forum, nor will it show up if someone else replies to the topic in the forum

Upcoming Events
Here is the front page mod for the calendar I added. :P
Last edited by marksten on Mon Dec 09, 2002 10:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

monkeyfunky

Post by monkeyfunky » Thu Apr 25, 2002 12:25 pm

Wow - this looks amazing...

Do you have a site demo of this too? ;)

WebSnail

Post by WebSnail » Thu Apr 25, 2002 12:36 pm

Looks great and I'm jealous that I didn't have time to sort this myself...

Just one small request...

Could you please change the name to something other than just "Calendar" as well as rename the "calendar.php" file so as to avoid confusion between the original calendar MOD and this new one...

I only ask so that...
a) people don't get confused about which version and create support headaches
b) so you get the appropriate credit for yours and vice versa :)

Thanks in advance
:)
WebSnail

morpheus2matrix
Former Team Member

Post by morpheus2matrix » Thu Apr 25, 2002 12:58 pm

thx !! :wink:
Former phpBB MOD-Team Member -

Forgive my bad English :(

No support by PM/Email - Thanks - You can thanks me here :) - Pay me for installing MOD's :lol:

marksten

Post by marksten » Thu Apr 25, 2002 1:33 pm

monkeyfunky wrote: Wow - this looks amazing...
Do you have a site demo of this too? ;)

July 3rd, 2002: Removed the demo site.

Websnail wrote: Could you please change the name to something other than just "Calendar" as well as rename the "calendar.php" file so as to avoid confusion between the original calendar MOD and this new one...

Sure thing....sorry about that. I'll change it now....not sure what to...but I'll figure it out. :P
Last edited by marksten on Wed Jul 03, 2002 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

water

Post by water » Thu Apr 25, 2002 1:44 pm

marksten wrote: Upcoming Events
Here is the front page mod for the calendar I added. :P

looking good...

what will happen here if there are no upcomming events in the calendar :?:

:water

marksten

Post by marksten » Thu Apr 25, 2002 1:49 pm

water wrote: what will happen here if there are no upcomming events in the calendar :?:

It'll say "No Events Scheduled". :D

WebSnail

Post by WebSnail » Thu Apr 25, 2002 2:01 pm

One question...

What about permissions... Would you be able to stop someone adding dates by setting their group permissions to view and reply only?

I'm just wondering if there'a actually a way around the permissions that would allow someone to delete your own data, etc...

Otherwise I'm impressed..

Oh and thanks for changing the name :)... Trust me it'll save both of us a LOT of grief :)

marksten

Post by marksten » Thu Apr 25, 2002 2:19 pm

WebSnail wrote: One question...

What about permissions... Would you be able to stop someone adding dates by setting their group permissions to view and reply only?

I'm just wondering if there'a actually a way around the permissions that would allow someone to delete your own data, etc...

The permissions are pretty much just whatever the forum permissions are. So if you can't post, then yuo can't add an event. :) Replies won't show the event field either, so there is no problem with that. As for a way around it all, I really can't think of any way. I'm sure if someone searched hard enough they might find something. Like I said, I mostly depend on the forum permissions.

Feel free to play around with it at the demo site I listed above. Also download the code and let me know if you see a way around it. To be honest I'm new to php and mySQL, so this is my first 'real' mod. I'm sure some of you more experienced people might be able to point out some things I missed. :)
WebSnail wrote: Otherwise I'm impressed..

Oh and thanks for changing the name :)... Trust me it'll save both of us a LOT of grief :)

thanks! and it's my pleasure...I should have thought about that name thing before I posted. :)

Eisi

Post by Eisi » Thu Apr 25, 2002 10:24 pm

OMFG!!! You are my hero, marksten! I needed exactly THAT! :) I was about to spend endless nights in front of my pc and php books to create it. Sheesh! You actually saved my life (ask my GF about it!). :)

Want my car or my GF? ;)

Edit: GF said no, so how about my car still?
P.S. How about a ZIP file for dl? :)

Edit2: I have played since september 1999 on the Tribunal Server. You still living the addiction? PM me if you want to chat about the good old times...
Final Fantasy VII/ IX & Little Big Adventure 2: Eisi's Web-Welten (German)
Projects Under Development:
Event Management Community: VAMOS Online (German)

Bat_boy

Post by Bat_boy » Thu Apr 25, 2002 10:58 pm

hey this calendar looks sweet :D
but can we get a zip of the files
we can't download the files the way u have them now
and again looks damn nice man :lol:

WebSnail

Post by WebSnail » Thu Apr 25, 2002 11:06 pm

C'mon... it's no biggie..

Just copy & paste...

Bat_boy

Post by Bat_boy » Thu Apr 25, 2002 11:32 pm

WebSnail wrote: C'mon... it's no biggie..

Just copy & paste...

ahh now did u check out his link?
so u think that his websever would let me download a .php file?

this calendar looks bout perfect for what i want it for

now how bout some reoccuring events? :D

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”