Searching for 3 letter words?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
jenny_cady

Searching for 3 letter words?

Post by jenny_cady » Fri May 08, 2009 6:10 am

For some reason I cant search for 3 letter words on my forum. Looks like minimum is four words. I tried to mess with the settings in the APC but it doesnt seem to be working. can some one please break this down for me? thanks.

karlsemple
Former Team Member

Re: Searching for 3 letter words?

Post by karlsemple » Fri May 08, 2009 6:21 am

What search index type are you using? As if you are using Fulltext MySQL you will find the searching is probably limited to the MySQL servers default setting of 4 letters, this is something in the MySQL server config and out of the phpBB control.

If you are using the Fulltext Native search index you will need to rebuild the search index after changing the settings relating tot he min amount of letters to make sure that words that short are indexed for searching, note that decreasing the minimum value of the letters in searchable words will cause the search tables to take up more space, as well as causing searches to return way more results causing larger server load :)

ameeck
Former Team Member

Re: Searching for 3 letter words?

Post by ameeck » Fri May 08, 2009 6:21 am

After you change the configuration in ACP :: Search settings, you have to rebuild the search index to apply changes. The panel for this can be found under ACP :: Maintenance.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”