What's going on here?

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
epsilon234

What's going on here?

Post by epsilon234 » Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:11 am

A customer of mine installed phpbb through cpanel, and it always gives him this error on every page of phpbb. It simply doesn't work with his account.

Warning: Unknown(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/home/meta/public_html/forums/admin/index.php) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home/metahou:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/tmp) in Unknown on line 0

Warning: Unknown(/home/meta/public_html/forums/admin/index.php): failed to open stream: Operation not permitted in Unknown on line 0

Warning: (null)(): Failed opening '/home/meta/public_html/forums/admin/index.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in Unknown on line 0

What does this mean? It does this even if I delete all of it, then upload a fresh phpbb.

Flaming_cows

Post by Flaming_cows » Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:16 am

At a glance I would guess there is a permissions problem. Try setting all the folders to CHMOD 755 if you haven't yet.

Drexion
Former Team Member

Post by Drexion » Sat Jan 03, 2004 3:48 am

The 'open_basedir restriction' is a hosting restriction. There may be another reason, but some hosts use it as a means of helping to prevent malicious scripts from being run. (especially in certain directories)

Basically the folder which you have uploaded the phpBB forum to has this restriction in effect - there is nothing we can do, you have to contact your host for support. (or possibly move the 'phpBB2' folder to a location not under this restriction?)

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”