[2.0.7] Intellicensor

The cleanup is complete. This forum is now read only.

Rating:

Excellent!
50%
Very Good
17%
Good
No votes
Fair
17%
Poor
17%

Total votes: 6

Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot

[2.0.7] Intellicensor

Post by Extensions Robot » Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:19 pm

MOD Name: Intellicensor
Author: jsmotta
MOD Description: Enhances the built in Word Censor to block most loopholes users can use to get around censors. Character substitution, letter spacing, and BBCode tricks no longer work to thwart censors.

MOD Version: 1.0.0

Download File: intellicensor.mod
mods overview page: View
File Size: 5198 Bytes

Security Score:
Last edited by Extensions Robot on Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
(this is a non-active account manager for the phpBB Extension Customisations Team)

wGEric
Former Team Member
Name: Eric Faerber

Post by wGEric » Thu May 06, 2004 9:14 pm

MOD Validated/Released

Notes:
This MOD stops a lot of the tricks people use to get by the word censor. Not every trick is stopped by this MOD althought quite a few are.

OldScotch-

Post by OldScotch- » Sat May 22, 2004 11:40 pm

Hiya, good mod man, much thanks.

I've got a small problem though.

Typically, when you censor words they're listed as *badword* *fubar* and what not. This avoids people leading into the words with things like "realbadword" and "bigfubar" which will get by the censor.

The problem is, with this mod, whatever word comes before the badword will be censored out. This makes for some really strange looking sentences sometimes. Now, you can take the asterisks out to avoid that, but then you're back where you started with the 'realbadword's getting by the censor.

Thanks,
Last edited by OldScotch- on Sun May 23, 2004 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

MaddoxX

Post by MaddoxX » Sat May 22, 2004 11:50 pm

Nice mod altough nobody on my forum is using bad words :)
:D

jsmotta

Post by jsmotta » Sun May 23, 2004 1:45 am

OldScotch- wrote: Hiya, good mod man, much thanks.

I've got a small problem though.

Typically, when you censor words they're listed as *badword* *fubar* and what not. This avoids people leading into the words with things like "realbadword" and "bigfubar" which will get by the censor.

The problem is, with this mod, whatever word comes before the badword will be censored out. This makes for some really strange looking sentences sometimes. Now, you can take the asterisks out to avoid that, but then you're back where you started with the 'realbadword's getting by the censor.

Thanks,

Another option is for your board members to just not use 'badword' in the first place. :wink: Or, if they think they really NEED the ****'s there, they could put those in (or whatever your replacement text is) themselves instead of 'badword'. Other then that.. that's the way it is. This mod takes an aggressive approach to catching the words that you don't approve of on your board... at the risk of some possible collateral damage.

da_badtz_one

Post by da_badtz_one » Sun May 23, 2004 4:58 am

So does the work Fuck

Lets say that word I just wrote was censord.

Will this get censord??

eg:

F[color=black]uck[/color]

that means it'll show not as *beep*

But as Fuck
Last edited by da_badtz_one on Sun May 23, 2004 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

OldScotch-

Post by OldScotch- » Sun May 23, 2004 4:59 am

I don't think you understood me there.

When I make a list of words I'd like censored, I will put a wildcard on either side of it. So if want to censor "darn", I'll list it in the filter list as "*darn*". The replacement, as you stated, doesn't matter.

The reason those wildcards are there is so that you can't get around the filter by saying "goshdarn". If the wildcards are there, the filter works, if they aren't, then goshdarn gets posted. That holds true for both your mod and the standard version.

Now the problem is, that when I use those wildcards with your mod, then it censors too much. "darn" gets censored and "goshdarn" gets censored. But whatever word comes before "darn" also gets erased. Obviously, that makes things very difficult to understand when words are missing.

Thanks,

jsmotta

Post by jsmotta » Sun May 23, 2004 8:43 am

OldScotch- wrote: I don't think you understood me there.

When I make a list of words I'd like censored, I will put a wildcard on either side of it. So if want to censor "darn", I'll list it in the filter list as "*darn*". The replacement, as you stated, doesn't matter.

The reason those wildcards are there is so that you can't get around the filter by saying "goshdarn". If the wildcards are there, the filter works, if they aren't, then goshdarn gets posted. That holds true for both your mod and the standard version.

Now the problem is, that when I use those wildcards with your mod, then it censors too much. "darn" gets censored and "goshdarn" gets censored. But whatever word comes before "darn" also gets erased. Obviously, that makes things very difficult to understand when words are missing.

Thanks,

Right. That's a side effect of the censor looking for patterns like "d a r n" which would get by the ordinary censor, but not this one. The trouble you are experiencing is, if someone types, "that's just to darn bad", then "to" get's censored with the "darn". There's no way around this without giving up the censors ability to also recognize "d a r n", which pretty much defeats the point of the mod.
If your members have the overwhelming need to give the impression of the word "darn" in their message (even though they know it'll get censored), they could actually just type, "that's just to **** bad", themselves, instead of leaving it up to the censor to figure out what to censor, and what not. OR, they could just surrendor to the almighty censor, and type "that's just to bad", and still get their message acrosss without the need to use inappropriate words. In time, I suspect you'll find your members giving up and taking the second choice.

angst911

Post by angst911 » Mon May 31, 2004 10:03 pm

works fairlly well... just wish it could catch words like this:

word

osxempire

Post by osxempire » Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:05 pm

wGEric wrote: MOD Validated/Released

Notes:
This MOD stops a lot of the tricks people use to get by the word censor. Not every trick is stopped by this MOD althought quite a few are.

What ones are?
Got smilies? iChat ones would be nice!

omega13a

Post by omega13a » Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:06 pm

This mod doesn't entierly work on my test board. I was still able to sneak bbcode in between the leters of badword like this:

Code: Select all

bad[b][/b]word
. Any idea how to fix that?
A fish without a bicycle cannot contemplate his navel.

krs1

Post by krs1 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:34 pm

This mod does not properly install on my forum. When i insert the new code, my whole forum dies. It will only load blank pages. (no php output from server?)

Jester1

Post by Jester1 » Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:48 pm

When I installed this mod my word censor functionality went away completely. I checked the code several times to make sure I entered everything in the correct place and found no errors. I ended up restoring the functions.php file. Thoughts?

INTELIPN

Post by INTELIPN » Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:59 am

I installed the MOD on version 2.0.10 and it's working perfectly. Great job!

INTELIPN

how to prevent this word

Post by INTELIPN » Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:34 pm

Hmm..I just encountered a slight "problem"

The intellicensor unfortunately blocked this word "assets". Mind you, I have a keyword sensor for "ass".

Any suggestions?

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Cleanup”