[ABD] MoltX Live Post v1 (Release 2)

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Treben Media

Re: [ALPHA] MoltX Live Post v1 (Download Released)

Postby Treben Media » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:18 am

To check if your board is xhtml valid, go to http://validator.w3.org/ and enter one of your topic pages into the box.

moltendorf

Re: [ALPHA] MoltX Live Post v1 (Download Released)

Postby moltendorf » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:20 am

Try finding and removing this line in overall_header.html; you are including two copies of the jQuery library.

Code: Select all

<script src="./styles/CarbonCopy/template/jquery-1.3.2.min.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

Also, due to a simple mistake in the MODX that I am currently unaware of how to correct, this will make all code added to your style by this project valid.

Find in overall_header.html:

// Start the engine!
molten_phpbb_post = new molten_phpbb_post_object ( '{MOLTEN_PHPBB_POST_SCAN}', '{MOLTEN_PHPBB_POST_SCAN_ID}', '{MOLTEN_PHPBB_POST_SCAN_MODE}', '{MOLTEN_PHPBB_POST_SCAN_POST}', '{MOLTEN_PHPBB_POST_QUERY}', {MOLTEN_PHPBB_POST_SORT}, {MOLTEN_PHPBB_POST_GUESS_SORT}, {MOLTEN_PHPBB_POST_RATE} );

Replace with:

// <![CDATA[
// Start the engine!
molten_phpbb_post = new molten_phpbb_post_object ( '{MOLTEN_PHPBB_POST_SCAN}', '{MOLTEN_PHPBB_POST_SCAN_ID}', '{MOLTEN_PHPBB_POST_SCAN_MODE}', '{MOLTEN_PHPBB_POST_SCAN_POST}', '{MOLTEN_PHPBB_POST_QUERY}', {MOLTEN_PHPBB_POST_SORT}, {MOLTEN_PHPBB_POST_GUESS_SORT}, {MOLTEN_PHPBB_POST_RATE} );
// ]]>
Did I ever mention that I think phpBB is awesome? I thought I did, but I'm not so sure, so I'll say it again: phpBB is awesome!
pantry \ snack :: is_good ( ) ? pantry \ snack :: hastily_consume ( ) : pantry \ snack :: reject ( );

Need some help? I have a solid understanding several programming and markup languages.
Projects: QuickChat: A Shoutbox, Live Post, ORANGEstyle

STRetard

Re: [ALPHA] MoltX Live Post v1 (Release 2)

Postby STRetard » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:22 am

yeah, never-mind on the last post, as my screen name states, I'm retarded. I was thinking it refreshed the discussion page and not the actual topic page. I was thinking it was like gmail where it refreshes the e-mails. Further testing proved everything is working perfect. It does lead to a cool idea though, it would be nice to add it refreshing the threads without an auto-refresh on the page. I'm gonna tinker around with this and see if I can get it to do that, if possible at least. If you have any ideas or thoughts on that let me know.

moltendorf

Postby moltendorf » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:43 am

MoltX Live Post Version 1.0 Alpha 2 has been uploaded to the project download page. Go get it now!

The project website is listed on the original post.

I have confirmed this version successfully installs using AutoMOD!
Did I ever mention that I think phpBB is awesome? I thought I did, but I'm not so sure, so I'll say it again: phpBB is awesome!
pantry \ snack :: is_good ( ) ? pantry \ snack :: hastily_consume ( ) : pantry \ snack :: reject ( );

Need some help? I have a solid understanding several programming and markup languages.

moltendorf

Postby moltendorf » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:45 am

STRetard wrote:yeah, never-mind on the last post, as my screen name states, I'm retarded. I was thinking it refreshed the discussion page and not the actual topic page. I was thinking it was like gmail where it refreshes the e-mails. Further testing proved everything is working perfect. It does lead to a cool idea though, it would be nice to add it refreshing the threads without an auto-refresh on the page. I'm gonna tinker around with this and see if I can get it to do that, if possible at least. If you have any ideas or thoughts on that let me know.

That is coming, note that it is listed in the features, the items colored green in the feature list are done. :)

katib

Postby katib » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:50 pm

I logged into the test board using my own account, because I am already a member
See no test forum,
so logged again whith test account, made a reply
But, I noticed nothing :shock:
This Mod places a quick reply box at veiwtopic page bottom, when user hit submit, the reply is instantelly added without refreshing the page
I am right ? :)

Treben Media

Postby Treben Media » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:53 pm

katib wrote:I logged into the test board using my own account, because I am already a member
See no test forum,
so logged again whith test account, made a reply
But, I noticed nothing :shock:
This Mod places a quick reply box at veiwtopic page bottom, when user hit submit, the reply is instantelly added without refreshing the page
I am right ? :)

This mod doesn't add a quick reply box.

moltendorf

Postby moltendorf » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:05 pm

To see exactly what this project does; open two tabs.

One tab on one topic.
The other tab on the post reply page for that topic.

Post a reply, and switch to the other tab; the new post will be added without refreshing.

In phpBB 3.0.6, there's a quick reply already coming; it would be kind of silly for me to make a project that does what is already coming. :lol: I'm thinking of making the quick reply in phpBB 3.0.6 not go to a different page upon submission (if it does do that), allowing my project to add the post right before your eyes. :)

katib

Postby katib » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:20 am

moltendorf wrote:'m thinking of making the quick reply in phpBB 3.0.6 not go to a different page upon submission (if it does do that), allowing my project to add the post right before your eyes. :)

Thanks a lot
This is EXACTELY what I was looking for
Because I know about the upcoming official quick reply box, but I fear it will go the a different page like most of Quick relpy Mods we are using right now

FreddieM

Postby FreddieM » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:20 pm

This is awesome. Demoed it to some of our users and they loved it.It even worked with the quick reply we had installed.

One drawback of using it this way was that when a new post was added to the bottom of the page via the quick reply the page moved up and down abit, could be quite annoying if there was a very active thread which was being posted in quite alot. Still, I don't think that's your fault.

moltendorf

Postby moltendorf » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:45 am

FreddieM wrote:One drawback of using it this way was that when a new post was added to the bottom of the page via the quick reply the page moved up and down abit, could be quite annoying if there was a very active thread which was being posted in quite alot. Still, I don't think that's your fault.

Ah, well, I never thought of that. I will make sure that doesn't happen in my next release after phpBB 3.0.6 goes live. It should be fairly simple; installing some sort of hook into jQuery to change the page's scroll height depending on how much it changes on each step in the animation. :D

Bleachh

Postby Bleachh » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:06 pm

I have a question.
Does this MOD involve an increased load on the server? For example for forums with 10000 visits/day and 50000 users.

(sorry for my bad english)

Bye!

moltendorf

Postby moltendorf » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:49 pm

Bleachh wrote:Does this MOD involve an increased load on the server? For example for forums with 10000 visits/day and 50000 users.

Like almost every MOD for phpBB, yes there is an increased load, and like most constantly-updating AJAX MODs, it's a little bit more load than your usual MOD. This project will only make a single query to the server once every 5 seconds after the user has been on the topic for 5 seconds. This query may be to one of two files: molten_phpbb_post.php, or viewtopic.php. Most of the time it will query molten_phpbb_post.php which only makes one database call (not including what calls phpBB does on its own); it does this to check for new information. If there is new information, then it queries viewtopic.php which is just a much load as refreshing the topic page.

Due to this behavior, it is very low extra load on your server (compared to most other AJAX MODs I have experimented with).

masterbas

Postby masterbas » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:21 pm

Wow, it works great!!! Thanks a lot!

Maybe some improvements for the future (but first finish the basic stuff :P):
- Live update the edits of posts and topics
- Live update deletions of posts and topics
- Live update the 'Read-Unread'-icons at the index (the icon before each forum)

moltendorf

Postby moltendorf » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:05 am

Excellent suggestions; those will require additional queries, so when I add an administration control panel module, they will have to be able to be enabled/disabled.

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”