[ABD] Shmoogle Maps MOD

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
BassFace

[ABD] Shmoogle Maps MOD

Post by BassFace » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:19 am

Modification Name: Shmoogle Map
Author: BassFace

Modification Description:: Shows a fully interactive Google Map where your Users can input their location and be displayed with a selection of customizable map markers. Very customizable map controls. Includes ACP and UCP modules for admin and users. Note: Requires a free Google Maps API Key from Google Maps.
Modification Version:: [BETA] v0.0.2

Requirements: A Google Maps API Key (free from Google Maps)

Features:Almost Complete Features/Customizations List:
Map Language - Select from 50 languages to use for the map control buttons & tooltips. (Translations provided by Google Maps API v2, not the Shmoogle Map MOD)
Marker Clustering - Map can display hundreds or thousands of markers by clustering based on map zoom.
Initial Map Type - Set initial map type to Normal, Satellite, or Hybrid
Terrain Map Type - Turn Terrain map type on/off
Traffic Overlay - Enable/Disable Traffic conditions overlay (USA mostly)
Show Google Local Search bar - Enable/Disable Google Search within the map
Map Center Point - Set where the map will initially be centered.
Initial Zoom - Show the whole world or just your block - OR -
Maximum Zoom Level (Zoom Limit) - Prevents users from zooming in any closer that this setting
Map Height/Width - Make the map fit into any template
Double-Click Zoom - Double-click LMB to Zoom In where clicked, Double-click RMB to Zoom Out where clicked
Scroll Wheel Zoom - Enables the mouse wheel to zoom the map in and out
Continuous Zoom - Provides a smooth, continuous zoom animation when you zoom in one level. (Visible in IE and FF only)
Right-click Context Menu - Users can right-click on the map and get a context menu that includes step by step driving directions. NOTE: This feature is not supported in Opera.
Zoom/Pan Controller - Turn Zoom and Pan Controller on/off.
Zoom/Pan Controller Type - Choose from 3 styles of Zoom & Pan controls
Show Map Types Controller - Turn Map Type Control buttons on/off
Allow COPPA users - Allow/Disallow your COPPA Registered users to set/show map points?
Geodesic Lines - Draws a geodesic line between viewer's map point and clicked map point. (A geodesic is the shortest path between two points along the surface of the Earth.)
Unit of Measure - Display distance between markers in miles or kilometers
Special/Reserved Markers - Admins and Moderators can have Special Markers not available to normal users.

Screenshots:
Main Map with User panel open
User Control Panel
Step-by-Step Driving Directions

Demo URL: http://www.shmoogle.bassface3d.com/phpBB3/
Demo Username: DemoUser
Demo Password: DemoUser

Modification Download:
Last edited by BassFace on Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:29 am, edited 16 times in total.

ameeck
Former Team Member

Re: [DEV] Shmoogle Maps MOD

Post by ameeck » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:10 pm

Perhaps a short description of the planned functionality?

woipi90

Post by woipi90 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:27 pm

o nice to hear.... the first new phoogle release canditate.... ;)

do you have a release date?

grz woipi
My mods: Ultimate Board Clubs
Support: only for the UBCS!
-----
function be_friends($uid, $u){return ($u == $user->['user_id']) ? false : true;}
$this->be_friends($uid, $user->['user_id']) ? $allow_pm : echo "You failed again";

BassFace

Post by BassFace » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:29 pm

woipi90 wrote:o nice to hear.... the first new phoogle release canditate.... ;)

do you have a release date?

grz woipi
No firm date - still feverishly working on it. 8-)

darkonia

Post by darkonia » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:49 pm

its the same as phoogle map mod....
MMOG-Heaven - Das Gaming Portal
Community bedeutet Gleichgesinnte finden - MMOG-Heaven ist Deine Community! Von Spielern für Spieler bietet Dir dieses Portal genau das, was ein Spieler braucht. Bleibe ständig informiert, finde die neuesten MMORPGs, oder suche die frischesten News aus der Welt des Online Gamings - dieses und vieles mehr erwartet Dich auf MMOG-Heaven.

BassFace

Post by BassFace » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:00 am

darkonia wrote:its the same as phoogle map mod....
Sort of. I am the original author of the Phoogle Map MOD. I am updating the MOD, and since it was abandoned, and it's development taken over by another author, then abandoned again, I decided to rename it and develop it again. It will be very similar to the Phoogle MOD, but I am adding stuff and changing stuff.
Last edited by BassFace on Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

youngjediknight

Post by youngjediknight » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:32 am

Would you consider making this a bit more versatile and allowing more of a knowledge base functionality of places? For instance, rather than a map of users and events, a map of user submitted information on places. An example would be for a hiking forum and users submit locations of great hiking spots with pre-defined fields that they fill out. Other users can comment.

Just a thought.

imkingdavid
Former Team Member
Name: David King

Post by imkingdavid » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:47 am

Looks like a good MOD, but I can't see the need to give random people online my home address. There are plenty of wierdos out there, so I wouldn't feel safe using this MOD. :lol:
Don't forget to smile today. :)
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

BassFace

Post by BassFace » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:01 am

imkingdavid wrote:Looks like a good MOD, but I can't see the need to give random people online my home address. There are plenty of wierdos out there, so I wouldn't feel safe using this MOD. :lol:
Each user has the option of being shown or not. Nothing is mandatory. Don't live in fear, dude! 8-)

BassFace

Post by BassFace » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:15 am

youngjediknight wrote:Would you consider making this a bit more versatile and allowing more of a knowledge base functionality of places? For instance, rather than a map of users and events, a map of user submitted information on places. An example would be for a hiking forum and users submit locations of great hiking spots with pre-defined fields that they fill out. Other users can comment.

Just a thought.
I am working on 'User Submitted Events' where users can add/edit/delete 'events'. And I plan on making the name of the 'Events' map customizable from the ACP.

As for having people comment on each entry, the user who submits the event can include a link to a forum thread in the comment section (Map Marker bubble) and people can link to it and have a discussion there. phpBB is a forum after all and better suited for discussion threads like that :D .

youngjediknight

Post by youngjediknight » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:07 am

BassFace wrote: I am working on 'User Submitted Events' where users can add/edit/delete 'events'. And I plan on making the name of the 'Events' map customizable from the ACP.

As for having people comment on each entry, the user who submits the event can include a link to a forum thread in the comment section (Map Marker bubble) and people can link to it and have a discussion there. phpBB is a forum after all and better suited for discussion threads like that :D .
Ah - so "events" can be customized to be anything really. Can you make the fields customizable in the ACP so that it truly does become a module?

I agree with what you mean about utilizing the core forum functionality rather than being redundant with comments.

Can't wait to see this!

darkonia

Post by darkonia » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:09 am

can i update from the latest phoogle version of your mod to this when its ready?
MMOG-Heaven - Das Gaming Portal
Community bedeutet Gleichgesinnte finden - MMOG-Heaven ist Deine Community! Von Spielern für Spieler bietet Dir dieses Portal genau das, was ein Spieler braucht. Bleibe ständig informiert, finde die neuesten MMORPGs, oder suche die frischesten News aus der Welt des Online Gamings - dieses und vieles mehr erwartet Dich auf MMOG-Heaven.

BassFace

Post by BassFace » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:17 pm

youngjediknight wrote:Can you make the fields customizable in the ACP so that it truly does become a module?
I am not sure what you mean... :shock: Could you elaborate a bit?

BassFace

Post by BassFace » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:20 pm

darkonia wrote:can i update from the latest phoogle version of your mod to this when its ready?
No, you will need to install from scratch. But since all the files, folders, db tables and fields, etc. have been renamed you should be able to install right alongside Phoogle, then I'll have to look at a way to update the user data from Phoogle to Shmoogle. Then you can delete Phoogle completely.

ameisez

Post by ameisez » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:40 pm

This sounds good.

Hoping for a stable release this time :)
PHPBB on HOSTGATOR SERVER. MY PERSONAL CHOICE ;)
Need phpBB images and buttons? HIRE ME
my MOD: BB3 Media Player | a phpbb based media player

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”