[ABD] Instant Ban - Spam Bots registration - (updated)

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
mealto

Post by mealto »

niekas wrote: 1)this mod will allow you to capture and ban their IP without them posting a message

ok, jut installed the mod. How can I ban their IP's without them posting a message?
niekas

Post by niekas »

mealto wrote:
niekas wrote: 1)this mod will allow you to capture and ban their IP without them posting a message

ok, jut installed the mod. How can I ban their IP's without them posting a message?

the banning is done automatically - these bots are not interested in posting messages - they only want to register users with spam websites.

from time to time you can check your admin panel ban list and you'll see banned IP's. I get about 10-15 IP's banned everyday.
mealto

Post by mealto »

oic, so what is the critiria that the MOD bans IP's?

Also, how can I only remove the website field and let all users use the signature regardless of how many posts the users have made. Is this possible for this mod?

Also, how come the Who Is Online area show that I used someone else's IP to register and log in using a test account. This happened only after the MOD install.
niekas

Post by niekas »

mealto wrote: oic, so what is the critiria that the MOD bans IP's?

mod detects the bot, because it submits a website during registration and website field is not present in registration form. very simple - bot is giving something that is not supposed to give.
Also, how can I only remove the website field and let all users use the signature regardless of how many posts the users have made. Is this possible for this mod?

change $cut_off=10; to $cut_off=1;

so user needs to post only one post in order to have their website field activated.

if you'd rather give them ability to input signature and website during signup - use one of those mods with visual confirmation.
Also, how come the Who Is Online area show that I used someone else's IP to register and log in using a test account. This happened only after the MOD install.

i have no idea what are you talking about ?? this bot doesn't do anything else, but bans BOT IP's if they don't meet simple criteria.
mealto

Post by mealto »

niekas wrote: mod detects the bot, because it submits a website during registration and website field is not present in registration form. very simple - bot is giving something that is not supposed to give.

ok got it thanks!
niekas wrote: change $cut_off=10; to $cut_off=1;

so user needs to post only one post in order to have their website field activated.

if you'd rather give them ability to input signature and website during signup - use one of those mods with visual confirmation.

I made it 1 already but it's a shame to penalize good users for not having a signature available. Can this MOD be changed so that the signatures appears but the website field be a read only form and says, "Available after 1 post". This might be a good marketing tactic to encourage users to become active. What do you think?

niekas wrote: i have no idea what are you talking about ?? this bot doesn't do anything else, but bans BOT IP's if they don't meet simple criteria.

After I deleted my test user (for testing this mod). I see Guest's logging in (it was me registering and making posts) but I see 4 other IP addreses rather than my real IP address. Weird.
niekas

Post by niekas »

its not about marketing its about fighting spam anyway i removed code that checks for signature - here is simplified code for you:

disable only website and only on registration - signature is available (if they log in after they can add website):

Code: Select all

# 
#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------ 
# 
includes/usercp_register.php 

# 
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------ 
# 

$error = FALSE; 

# 
#-----[ AFTER, ADD ]------------------------------------------ 
# 

// --------------------------------------- 
if ($mode == 'register' && $HTTP_POST_VARS['website'] != '' ) 
{ 
   $ban_this=encode_ip($REMOTE_ADDR); 

$sql = "INSERT INTO " . BANLIST_TABLE . " (ban_ip) 
   VALUES ('" . $ban_this . "')"; 
   if ( !$db->sql_query($sql) ) 
   { 
      message_die(GENERAL_ERROR, "Couldn't insert ban_ip info into database", "", __LINE__, __FILE__, $sql); 
   } 
   $sql = "DELETE FROM " . SESSIONS_TABLE . " 
      WHERE session_ip = '" . $ban_this . "'"; 
   if ( !$db->sql_query($sql) ) 
   { 
      message_die(GENERAL_ERROR, "Couldn't delete banned sessions from database", "", __LINE__, __FILE__, $sql); 
   } 
   message_die(GENERAL_MESSAGE, "banned", '', __LINE__, __FILE__); 

} 

# 
#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------ 
# 

/templates/subSilver/profile_add_body.tpl 

# 
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------ 
# 
<tr> 
     <td class="row1"><span class="gen">{L_WEBSITE}:</span></td> 
     <td class="row2"> 
      <input type="text" class="post"style="width: 200px"  name="website" size="25" maxlength="255" value="{WEBSITE}" /> 
     </td> 
   </tr> 

# 
#-----[ BEFORE, ADD ]------------------------------------------ 
# 
<!-- BEGIN switch_edit_profile --> 

# 
#-----[ AFTER, ADD ]------------------------------------------ 
# 
<!-- END switch_edit_profile --> 

mealto

Post by mealto »

Before I mess up antything, will I need to revert back to the original files in the first post?

/includes/usercp_register.php
/templates/subSilver/profile_add_body.tpl

Then make the new changes?

Thanks for your help, you are awesome!
mealto

Post by mealto »

ahhhh, i started with the original files and it worked. Thought I would update everyone.

Hey, this is a very powerful MOD. Thanks for the custom work, this works great! :lol:

Last question, will this new MOD auto BAN IP addresses like the original one?
niekas

Post by niekas »

mealto wrote: ahhhh, i started with the original files and it worked. Thought I would update everyone.

Hey, this is a very powerful MOD. Thanks for the custom work, this works great! :lol:

Last question, will this new MOD auto BAN IP addresses like the original one?

yes - it will ban any BOT IP that tries to submit website during registration 8)
mealto

Post by mealto »

1 problem. After installing this new mod, I can't find the new users and am therefor, unable to delete my test signup. I can see them in the member list but the Admin controls now cannot locate them. hmm, how can I delete my test user?
niekas

Post by niekas »

mealto wrote: 1 problem. After installing this new mod, I can't find the new users and am therefor, unable to delete my test signup. I can see them in the member list but the Admin controls now cannot locate them. hmm, how can I delete my test user?

hmm this mod doesn't alter user signup - just intercepts faulty ones.
did you try seach using wildcards?
mealto

Post by mealto »

I think it's the board itself not the mod. I signed up the test user as 1. The number 1. It can't find it, odd. I will post in the ouside forum to see if others have experienced this.

Your mod works great, thanks!
mealto

Post by mealto »

Hope this might help someone else. I can't seem to locate the user in my Admin CP. So I connected directly to MySQL and found the table called users and deleted my test user that way.

Still wondering about the numeric id thing though.
niekas

Post by niekas »

mealto,

i just created users on both windows and linux based servers phpBBs with username 1. i was able to find and delete them without any problems
crow-

Post by crow- »

niekas wrote: disable only website and only on registration - signature is available (if they log in after they can add website)

Now that what i'm looking for.

Will try it out..

BTW ..how many bot registrations use signatures (and where would it show)? I havent seen any yet, only websites

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”