Captcha just stopped working

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
mlevitt

Captcha just stopped working

Post by mlevitt » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:02 pm

I have been doing some rather intense testing with the forum to make sure everything is going to work before we make it live later this week. Everything was working yesterday when I left work and this morning when I was finishing up with the testing. I installed a MOD called notify moderators yesterday before I left so that moderators will get emails when there are new posts that need to be approved. Everything seemed to work fine.

About an hour ago when I tried registering I noticed that the captcha picture was missing (instead there was a blue box with a question mark). I thought that was strange so I logged into the ACP. When I select the captcha module settings I receive a long error message. I checked the maintenance tab and here is the shortened version of the error.

Error while creating image
» Error in /includes/captcha/captcha_non_gd.php on line 106: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/captcha/plugins/._phpbb_captcha_gd_plugin.php:1)

Any ideas what happened? For now I have just taken that out of the registration so that we can use it but I would like to keep this is place.

Thank you!

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Captcha just stopped working

Post by stevemaury » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:13 pm

There is something - carriage return, space, characters - before the initial <?php tag in that file.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

mlevitt

Post by mlevitt » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:27 pm

I just rechecked it and there is no character before the initial <?php tag in that file. I have not done any editing to this file but the file is attached if you want to look at it. I restored the database back to how it was in the very beginning and still the same error.

Here is the longer error message:
���Mac OS X ���� ���2���������������������������������������������ATTR;�������������&����������������������&��com.apple.quarantine�0000;4b154598;Safari;|com.apple.Safari�����This resource fork intentionally left blank ��������������������������������������������������[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/captcha/captcha_factory.php on line 83: call_user_func(._phpbb_captcha_gd::is_available): First argument is expected to be a valid callback
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/captcha/captcha_factory.php on line 89: call_user_func(._phpbb_captcha_gd::get_name): First argument is expected to be a valid callback
���Mac OS X ���� ���2���������������������������������������������ATTR;�������������&����������������������&��com.apple.quarantine�0000;4b154598;Safari;|com.apple.Safari���������������������������������������������������������������������������������������This resource fork intentionally left blank ���������������������������������������������������������������������������������[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/captcha/captcha_factory.php on line 83: call_user_func(._phpbb_captcha_gd_wave::is_available): First argument is expected to be a valid callback
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/captcha/captcha_factory.php on line 89: call_user_func(._phpbb_captcha_gd_wave::get_name): First argument is expected to be a valid callback
���Mac OS X ���� ���2���������������������������������������������ATTR;�������������&����������������������&��com.apple.quarantine�0000;4b154598;Safari;|com.apple.Safari���������This resource fork intentionally left blank ������������[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/captcha/captcha_factory.php on line 83: call_user_func(._phpbb_recaptcha::is_available): First argument is expected to be a valid callback
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/captcha/captcha_factory.php on line 89: call_user_func(._phpbb_recaptcha::get_name): First argument is expected to be a valid callback
���Mac OS X ���� ���2���������������������������������������������ATTR;�������������&����������������������&��com.apple.quarantine�0000;4b154598;Safari;|com.apple.Safar�[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/captcha/captcha_factory.php on line 83: call_user_func(._phpbb_captcha_nogd::is_available): First argument is expected to be a valid callback
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/captcha/captcha_factory.php on line 89: call_user_func(._phpbb_captcha_nogd::get_name): First argument is expected to be a valid callback
���Mac OS X ���� ���2���������������������������������������������ATTR;�������������&����������������������&��com.apple.quarantine�0000;4b154598;Safari;|com.apple.Safari���[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/captcha/captcha_factory.php on line 83: call_user_func(._phpbb_captcha_qa::is_available): First argument is expected to be a valid callback
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/captcha/captcha_factory.php on line 89: call_user_func(._phpbb_captcha_qa::get_name): First argument is expected to be a valid callback
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /adm/index.php on line 150: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/captcha/plugins/._phpbb_captcha_gd_plugin.php:1)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /adm/index.php on line 152: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/captcha/plugins/._phpbb_captcha_gd_plugin.php:1)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /adm/index.php on line 153: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/captcha/plugins/._phpbb_captcha_gd_plugin.php:1)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /adm/index.php on line 154: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/captcha/plugins/._phpbb_captcha_gd_plugin.php:1)
Attachments
captcha_non_gd.php
(84.23 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

mlevitt

Post by mlevitt » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:29 pm

Here is the correct file, my apologies.
Attachments
phpbb_captcha_nogd_plugin.php
(1.11 KiB) Downloaded 19 times

mlevitt

Post by mlevitt » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:55 pm

Was anyone able to figure out why the captcha stopped working? I replaced the entire includes/captcha folder with the newest version but I still receive the error. Thanks!

adamtao

Post by adamtao » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:04 pm

I just came across this problem. I figured out that at some point I uploaded files to my Windows web server from my Mac. When I did this, the Mac created a set of hidden files in the includes/captcha/plugins folder:

._captcha_abstract.php
._phpbb_captcha_gd_plugin.php
._phpbb_captcha_gd_wave_plugin.php
._phpbb_captcha_nogd_plugin.php
._phpbb_captcha_qa_plugin.php
._php_recaptcha_plugin.php

These files should all be deleted. Each of these has a corresponding file which should remain, but all the files starting with ._ need to be deleted. If your server is Windows, you'll need to enable hidden files in order to see them. If your server is Linux, use ls -a to see these files.

Probably too late to solve the original poster's problem, but maybe it will help some googlers out there.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”