How do I pass a PHP variable (eg. $_GET)?

Discussion forum for MOD Writers regarding MOD Development.

How do I pass a PHP variable (eg. $_GET)?

Postby Markstar » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:14 pm

Hi,
within my website, I thought I'd give users a choice whether or not they would like to use JavaScript+Flash or not. To make this work, pass a variable to each page whether JavaScript and Flash should be enabled or not. Currently I do that with $_GET, like this: http://www.url.com?flash=y (or 'n').

Now, since I would like to keep this functionality for the forum as well, I obviously need some way to make this work there, so any help on how I can accomplish this would be greatly appreciated! I'm just beginning with the design of my website, so I can still easily change the system if you have a better idea. :P

Thank you in advance!

Cheers

P.S.: Of course I also make use of <noscript>, but as I said, I would like to give visitors an explicit choice in addition to automatically detecting what they have.
Markstar

Re: How do I pass a PHP variable (eg. $_GET)?

Postby Brf » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:19 pm

phpBB uses a lot of GET variables, as you can see by looking at your webbrower's addressbar. I guess I do not understand what exactly your question is.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Postby Markstar » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:33 pm

Brf wrote:phpBB uses a lot of GET variables, as you can see by looking at your webbrower's addressbar. I guess I do not understand what exactly your question is.
Yes, it does, but I don't know how to pass my own variable along with it.

Let's say, for example, that my forum location is http://www.url.com/forum/index.php. From my website, I could refer to that location with a variable, eg. http://www.url.com/forum/index.php?flash=t . However, as soon as I click on something, that variable is lost because phpbb does not pass is along.

And I would like to learn how to do exactly that, either via _GET or some other way, I don't care as long as it works.

Edit: I found the following advice here:
To retrieve a value from $_POST/$_GET you should always use phpBB3's request_var function. You should not access $_POST/$_GET directly. An exception is checking whether a variable is set, such as isset($_POST['submit']).

However, the link they give to the request_var function does not work. It did lead me to the phpbb wiki, but I must admit that I don't know how I can use that information to solve my problem. :oops:
Markstar

Postby Brf » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:57 pm

You use request_var() to get the contents of your URL parameter.

If you want to preserve the parameter, then you should retrieve it in the session functions, and stuff it in the $_EXTRA_URL variable. Whatever is in there is tacked in the URL in append_sid.

Refer to the way the style parameter is passed in includes/session.php around line-1580.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Postby Markstar » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:32 pm

Brf wrote:Refer to the way the style parameter is passed in includes/session.php around line-1580.
Thank you for your help! You mean this part, right?
Code: Select all
      if (!empty($_GET['style']) && $auth->acl_get('a_styles') && !defined('ADMIN_START'))
      {
         global $SID, $_EXTRA_URL;

$style = request_var('style', 0);
         $SID .= '&amp;style=' . $style;
         $_EXTRA_URL = array('style=' . $style);
      }
      else
      {
         // Set up style
         $style = ($style) ? $style : ((!$config['override_user_style']) ? $this->data['user_style'] : $config['default_style']);
      }

You use request_var() to get the contents of your URL parameter.

If you want to preserve the parameter, then you should retrieve it in the session functions, and stuff it in the $_EXTRA_URL variable. Whatever is in there is tacked in the URL in append_sid.
Sadly I have no idea how to do that. :oops: To keep it simple, my flash variable can be '0' or '1'. Is it correct that to "pull" the variable, I use
$flash = request_var('flash', 1);
, meaning that 1 is the default value? I also changed:
to
$_EXTRA_URL = array('flash=' . $flash . 'style=' . $style);
. However, that did not work (after clearing the cache, etc) - the variable is not being passed. I guess I've made a mistake, but I have no idea what to do there, so I would really appreciate it if you could nudge me in the right direction. ;)
Markstar

Postby Brf » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:12 pm

First, that particular piece of code is only executed if there is a style parameter on the URL. You would have to add your own line of code. Second, $_EXTRA_URL is an array. You would add your parameter as another cell in that array.

Like this:

$flash = request_var('flash', 0);
if ($flash)
{
    $_EXTRA_URL[] = 'flash=' . $flash;
}
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Postby Nelsaidi » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:03 pm

Err, I would suggest the use of cookies. phpBB has some helper functions - however I'm not to aware of them, instead.

Havea a look at -> http://uk2.php.net/setcookie
Click here to find out what eRepublik is.
Nelsaidi

Postby Markstar » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:46 am

Brf wrote:First, that particular piece of code is only executed if there is a style parameter on the URL. You would have to add your own line of code. Second, $_EXTRA_URL is an array. You would add your parameter as another cell in that array.

Like this:

if ($flash)
{
}
Sorry again for being so stupid, but I don't get the logic of the original part of the code, and since just inserting your code after if (!empty($_GET['style']) && ... did not work, I would be very thankful if you could correct me on my probably wrong assumptions:

if (!empty($_GET['style']) && $auth->acl_get('a_styles') && !defined('ADMIN_START'))

1) Doesn't $_GET['style'] already ask for the variable from the URL and checks whether or not it exists (if not, then the clause does not get executed)?
2) I don't know what the second and third conditions mean, but I assume they are there to make sure styles are allowed?

3) Creating two global variables? So that makes me assume that I either need to include the code about my flash variable in that if clause (otherwise $_EXTRA_URL will not be created), or I also have to create it in my own if-clause.

$style = request_var('style', 0);

4) So again...if this is the proper way to retrieve variables from the URL ($_GET variables), why is $_GET being used in the if-clause?

$SID .= '&amp;style=' . $style;

5) Assigning the style to SID. Don't know what that means, but maybe I don't need to know. :P

6) Assign an array to the _EXTRA_URL variable (so that 'style=' . $style can be appended to the URL).

I feel I'm so close to the solution, but as I said, I don't understand the code so I don't know how and where to put in my own code. :oops:

@Nelsaidi: Thank you for the suggestion. Indeed, cookies might be a solution as well, but I would prefer it to do this way (it's more transparent to the user and many people are suspicious of cookies). Also, I have no experience with cookies, even though I admit I'm a beginner concerning PHP as well. :roll:
Markstar

Postby T0ny » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:55 am

Pretty much all the code you need is already there for you to copy, you just need to make the setting of $_EXTRA_URL conditional on whether it is already an array

if (!empty($_GET['flash']))
      {

$SID .= '&amp;flash=' . $flash;

if (is_array($_EXTRA_URL))
         {
         }
         else
         {
            $_EXTRA_URL = array('flash=' . $flash);
         }
      }

The above code assumes that the URL having no flash= parameter has the same effect as flash=0
T0ny

Name: Tony

Postby Brf » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:04 pm

Uggg. T0ny beat me to it. I saw the is_array() problem too and was going to suggest that same code.

In addition, some explainations:

1. $_GET['style'] returns a string. !empty() returns a boolean. Using !empty() insures that the IF is only executed if there is actually a style parameter in the URL.

2. Only Styles Admins are allowed to change their style with a URL parameter.

3. As T0ny said, you do need the global statement, and the extra code to declare the array if it hasnt been declared already.

4. I already explained that in #1. Using request_var() to retrieve the actual value masks the parameter as an integer, avoiding hacks.

5. I do not know either. It is probably bypassing an extra IF in the current module, making sure that $_EXTRA_URL is added to the current URL without having to have another IF somewhere. You should probably do that too.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Postby Markstar » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:17 pm

Yes, that worked! :D

Thank you, thank you, thank you you two! :P

Now I only need to change the 'default' value to 1, which I guess is changing the code to:
$flash = request_var('flash', 1);
, which I will test tonight.

Again, thanks, you guys are great! :)
Markstar

Return to [3.0.x] MOD Writers Discussion