Problem with config.php

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts

Re: Problem with config.php

Postby meteorite1 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:54 am

OK - that didn't work, so I did some more digging. For kicks, since that's the way the error message was describing it, I changed the database in the dbms line to mysql4. So my white page went blank with no text. So I changed the back. I went into Plesk with a fine-tooth comb, made sure the database name was carnuts, so deleted the .ca. Which except for the "localhost" line brings us back to square one.

So now I am back to the white page with text and forums and mail link buttons on it. Which comes up when I browse to carnuts.ca. The only change is, when I click on the "Forums" link, the browser line changes to carnuts.ca/phpbb3, and the error message says "carnuts,phpbb3config doesn't exist [1146]"

I feel we are close to a solution here, but can't figure it out. Who's :geek: smarter than me?
meteorite1

Postby ric323 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:27 am

meteorite1 wrote:... when I click on the "Forums" link, the browser line changes to carnuts.ca/phpbb3, and the error message says "carnuts,phpbb3config doesn't exist [1146]"

ok, that means you are now connecting to the database correctly, just it can't find the data inside the database.
This is almost certainly due to an incorrect table_prefix.

i.e.
$dbms, $dbhost, $dbport, $dbname, $dbuser, and $dbpasswd are now all correct.
It appears you have changed $table_prefix to "carnuts,phpbb3".
Try changing it back to just 'phpbb3'

If that doesn't work, we can use a database maintenance tool like phpMyAdmin to look inside your database to see what the prefix should be.
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions
ric323
Former Team Member

Name: Ric

Postby meteorite1 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:25 am

Nope, I've done a lot of fiddling about, but the $table string has always been phpbb. Since I've been basically changing and restoring, I believe the only current change from that first posted is now the host string where "localhost" has been substituted for an apparent blank. And I gather from the approach of yourself and the other forum helpers that that is very unlikely to be a source of trouble.

In installing phpbb3 I did it as an upgrade, having a phpbb2 installation already. I unzipped to a directory on my computer hard disc, then moved that phpbb3 folder to an empty folder "httpsdocs", opened it and ran install. When that was done, I ran convert. I actually did have a working page at this point, but my ISP found it useful to change the name of the database to carnuts. He also performed a few other changes including the text of the entry page, but I don't know the details.

Do be warned, I may sound knowledgeable as hell, but it's mostly a fraud. What I know about the inner workings of computer software could be written on the head of a pin. Hell, I'm still baffled by CP/M. So over the years I've had a lot of computer troubles and have first tried to analyze and fix them myself. And I have picked up considerable scattered bits of knowledge I have tried to integrate. And found there are yawning chasms between my connections. So please be patient if I sound a bit stupid on occasion.I'm not, I'm simply ignorant. And ignorance is easily cured.

Anyway, ball's in your court. Very close to my bedtime here.
meteorite1

Postby ric323 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:58 am

ok, you've probably gone to bed by now, but when you see this, please try one more change.

Change this line
$table_prefix = 'phpbb3';
to
$table_prefix = 'phpbb3_';

(this is actually the default value, WITH the underscore at the end.)
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
ric323
Former Team Member

Postby meteorite1 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:17 pm

OK, I'm up and running now, though iirc you have a few hours yet to go (judging by the time WE have to get up to see the Australian Grand Prix). Anyway the error message now reads "Table 'carnuts.phpbb3_config' doesn't exist [1146]" Which I guess proves that I did the edit correctly and saved it correctly.

Which leaves the question, where do we go from here? :?
meteorite1

Postby Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:08 pm

have you tried using phpmyadmin or whatever your host provides to see what the name of the database really is?

you can also determine what the name of the database server really is. it may NOT be localhost after all.

who is your host?

robert
Lumpy Burgertushie

Postby meteorite1 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:25 pm

My host is a small independent ISP, www.tamcotec.com. They have served me well since I first came on the net (386/16, Win 3.l, Netscape, 14.4 modem) but are not expert in phpbb. They use Plesk 2.7.x.x. for the database administration and I have been through it with a fine tooth comb. (You may want to re-read the full thread for details of what I have done). I have re-verified the database name and password.

I am reasonably sure they have kept the "localhost" designation on the Linux/Apache server.
meteorite1

Postby ric323 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:47 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:have you tried using phpmyadmin or whatever your host provides to see what the name of the database really is?

They should have phpMyAdmin installed, and that should let you see the database table names.
This is nothing to do with PHP, just a database management job.
ric323
Former Team Member

Postby meteorite1 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:01 pm

I'm guessing, but phpMyAdmin would seem to serve the same function as Plesk, but Plesk shows only the databases accessible to the carnuts.ca domain. For some reason, even though we are on good terms, my host isn't really anxious to have me fiddling about with the other parts of his website.

Can I get the information I need from Plesk, or is there something I will have to ask the host about because Plesk won't show it?
meteorite1

Postby HGN » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:32 pm

I am also using Plesk, version 8.6 though. I am able to start the DB Webadmin tool on databases, which actually starts phpMyAdmin. I suppose that may be possible from your version of Plesk as well.
HGN
Former Team Member

Name: Alfred

Postby meteorite1 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:06 am

Mea culpa - I had the version mixed up with Linux. The version of Plesk is 7.5.4. I can't see the tool you're referring to in it, but that is more likely to be my ignorance. What do I look for and what do I do with it? I have downloaded phpMyAdmin just now and if I can ever get into the database (which is the problem) can install it and use it, I expect.

Can we get fuller information?
meteorite1

Postby HGN » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:26 am

Plesk home (let's say the dashboard) shows an icon databases. Clicking that will give me an icon to add a database and a list of the present databases. Clicking the name of a database will bring me to a screen with an icon DB Webadmin. Clicking that will open a new screen with phpMyAdmin for the selected database.

I also had that option using Plesk 7.5.4. ;)
HGN
Former Team Member

Name: Alfred

Postby meteorite1 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:26 am

Well, when I click the Databases icon it shows only one - carnuts. So that has to be the name I am looking for.

But the issue is, phpbb can't find carnuts from the blank screen. The link is wrong. And the error messages give no clue as to how to set it right.

I need the correct way to tell phpbb the right place to look. But it seems to be confused and not listening.
Can you offer any further suggestions?
meteorite1

Postby ric323 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:30 am

meteorite1 wrote:Well, when I click the Databases icon it shows only one - carnuts. So that has to be the name I am looking for.

We have already established that that is the name of your database. We are now trying to determine what is the correct "table_prefix" used inside your database. You have to look inside the database using phpMyAdmin to see what the tables are named, which is what the last page worth of posts has been describing.
ric323
Former Team Member

Postby meteorite1 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:41 am

OK, digger, I have downloaded phpMyAdmin to my home laptop but not yet unzipped it. I will do that, then install it - where? on my home computer so I have access to Plesk (and the host) or somewhere else? This is a quick question and will likely be answered when I read the documentation, I expect, but knowing where I'm going would be useful anyway. I may not be able to start tonight, but maybe I can get ready to start to start for tomorrow, if you follow.

By the way, my local time is GMT - 5, N.A. Eastern Time Zone.
meteorite1

PreviousNext

Return to 3.0.x Support Forum